Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:06 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I'd argue that most conflicts escalate (or begin) over greed and corruption(Bush/Cheney). That and to divert the media's attention from what's really going on (Clinton/Lewinsky). Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread, just wanted to throw that in there.
Greed, corruption, ego, diversionary tactic, are all reasons. There's one more I left out only to keep this thread from wandering more off-topic than it already has. Religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 03:19 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Can we please keep the thread on topic?

Old 09-01-2009, 03:21 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
That's typical drivel that's always been used for everything from denying women basic civil rights to barring them from voting, to denying women education, to justifying date rape.

Actually, if you read the novel, you'd notice that Thackeray did not mention what started the fight. (I suppose nuance is too "limpwristed" a quality for you?) So if you asked Georgy, I'm sure he'd say he just wasn't allowing the little boy to "run roghshod" over him, and that's why he beat the crap out of him. The point that Thackeray is making is that boys are taught to solve their disagreements with violence as supposedly a masculine thing to do, as opposed to picking one's fights and how to fight them.

Well, since I'm a woman, I suppose my "place" in that order, as you understand it, is to be the sexual prize to whoever won the fight. That, or a domestic servant-slash-breeding cow.
I never read the novel nor do I have the slightest inkling to.

with regard to your place as being the sexual prize, post a photo, you may be wrong in that assumption as well.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:24 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,549 times
I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I think you should take the advice to get a little individual counseling to help work through this. Maybe you need to change your budget and expenses so you don't have to work so much in the future. Maybe your wife should take on more work while you take on more child rearing. Maybe you two have to make dates with each other to keep your focus on each other on track. Good luck, I really hope it works out!

Old 09-01-2009, 03:30 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triguy View Post
About a year ago my wife cheated on me. I wasnt giving her the attentiona and emotional support she needed. I was very focused on work and the kids (we have three). The affair was very breif and we are working thru it. I try not to press for too many of her deep feelings but I have forgiven her but I often wonder what does she feel. Guilt? Shame? Excitement she pulled it off (i dont think so).
Any thoughts?
Why don't you...um, ask her?! Communication, communication, communication!!!

Who cares if it feels like prying, she's your WIFE for goodness sake! If you don't TALK about what happened, how are you ever going to get through it and make sure you both don't let it happen again?!

Old 09-01-2009, 04:00 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
I never read the novel nor do I have the slightest inkling to.
Can't say I'm surprised by your contempt for reading. I mean, why should real men bother with effeminate things like education when they could be swinging their fists instead? [/end sarcasm]

Quote:
with regard to your place as being the sexual prize, post a photo, you may be wrong in that assumption as well.

Which only confirms my point. In your so-called "order", a woman's place is either that of a sexual receptacle or she has NO place. If she isn't worth f-ing, she shouldn't be living -- that's your "perfect" world.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Can't say I'm surprised by your contempt for reading. I mean, why should real men bother with effeminate things like education when they could be swinging their fists instead? [/end sarcasm]

Which only confirms my point. In your so-called "order", a woman's place is either that of a sexual receptacle or she has NO place. If she isn't worth f-ing, she shouldn't be living -- that's your "perfect" world.

hu·mor (hymr)n.1. The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness: could not see the humor of the situation.

2.lighten up - become more cheerful; "after a glass of wine, he lightened up a bit"

with regard to reading or my disdain for the afore mentioned according to you actually I'm somewhat taken aback by the insinuation. what makes you think I eschew reading? what makes you think I oppose education? what makes you think I'm a fist swinger?

on to your other equally erroneous accusation about how I view women. I have been married to the same girl for 32 years. she is my very best friend and I have nothing if not respect for her. what would lead you come away with that impression about me? are you my mother in law?

you might want to remove that unsightly chip from your shoulder, we are all entitled to our opinions and mine is more valid than yours.

Last edited by dadeguy; 09-01-2009 at 04:44 PM..

Old 09-01-2009, 09:03 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triguy View Post
About a year ago my wife cheated on me. I wasnt giving her the attentiona and emotional support she needed. I was very focused on work and the kids (we have three). The affair was very breif and we are working thru it. I try not to press for too many of her deep feelings but I have forgiven her but I often wonder what does she feel. Guilt? Shame? Excitement she pulled it off (i dont think so).
Any thoughts?
Tell her to join a Swingers Club and move out. You need to move on with your life. If you still stay with her, then you might as well be a cuckold hubby.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:06 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,485 times
Quote:
hu·mor (hymr)n.1. The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness: could not see the humor of the situation.

2.lighten up - become more cheerful; "after a glass of wine, he lightened up a bit"
Then again, there is a joke in every joke.

Quote:
with regard to reading or my disdain for the afore mentioned according to you actually I'm somewhat taken aback by the insinuation. what makes you think I eschew reading?
It's one thing to say that you haven't read one of the greatest classics of English literature. It's quite another to boast you have no inclination to.

Quote:
what makes you think I oppose education?
Your suggestion that boys should get their education in after-school fights rather than in school.

Quote:
what makes you think I'm a fist swinger?
Well, maybe you are an armchair fist swinger, instead. However, your complaint that violence is more manly than resolving conflict through non-violent means indicates to me that you value fist-swinging much more than you do education.

Quote:
on to your other equally erroneous accusation about how I view women. I have been married to the same girl for 32 years. she is my very best friend and I have nothing if not respect for her. what would lead you come away with that impression about me? are you my mother in law?
So what? There are racists who claim they have black friends, anti-semites who claim they have close relationships with "good" Jews and so on. Similarly, there are misogynists who are married and are very attached to their wives. There is nothing weird about that. It's much easier to express contempt for an undifferentiated mass of people than it is to maintain the same attitude towards an individual whom you know by name and whom you have to face. That, in fact, is the essence of dehumanization that is part and parcel of any form of bigotry.

Quote:
you might want to remove that unsightly chip from your shoulder, we are all entitled to our opinions and mine is more valid than yours.

In your Wingnuttery World -- no doubt. Speaking of humor, here is a list of ten stupidest things people say all the time.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
blah blah blah
bwahahahahaha I love women like you. let me know when you need instructions for building a bridge to get over yourself, I'll be glad to help out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships