Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 12:50 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,897,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Good! High temp is more common and not than dangerous in children, but it's still pretty bad.

I'm having another "lucky" day... As if I ever have others... Had everything done at home yesterday in the hope of spending the day out and about today. Needed to run quite a few errands, too. BUT... as luck would have it, the water heater came up with a scary flashing message last night. It did the same thing about a year ago AGAIN over the weekend! Luckily, at least it turned out to be still under the builder's warranty. This problem is turning into a pattern, though... It looks like it needs to be replaced. Soooo, I'm stuck home in the hope of getting service. Chances are I'll waste my day and get no service, either.

Btw, speaking of that, I read in the paperwork you're supposed to have it drained every year. Does anybody really do it?
I owned two houses previously, and never did that.

My parents have owned a house for more than 45 years, and they've never done that, except when the water heater died and they were forced to drain the water to be able to install the new one.

I've never had a friend or a co-worker at work ever speak about this - perhaps it's a new energy-efficient water heater and requires extra care?

Old 10-25-2009, 12:57 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I've never even heard of that. We had to replace ours about a year ago. Good luck with finding someone today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I owned two houses previously, and never did that.

My parents have owned a house for more than 45 years, and they've never done that, except when the water heater died and they were forced to drain the water to be able to install the new one.

I've never had a friend or a co-worker at work ever speak about this - perhaps it's a new energy-efficient water heater and requires extra care?
Thank you, guys! I never heard anybody mention anything like this, either. I suppose one advantage of buying a resale house is you never know about any of this! Since mine was brand new, it comes with all the "recommendations" to freak you out! If I go by that, I'll have to think about it on a regular basis and go broke!

My heater is solar/electric, though, so it might be "special". So far I just know it's iffy - 2 identical problems in less than 2 years!

Old 10-25-2009, 01:12 PM

19,430 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I was panicking last night, when my son came in my bedroom at 3:30 AM.
I scooped him up and he was burning up! Took his temp. it was 104.3
His heart rate was 111. I was going to take him to the Emergency room, but put a cool washcloth of his chest, and got it to come down.
I did take him to the doctor this` morning though...they tested him for the swine flu...negative. Guess he has the regular flu. He gave him cough syrup, with codeine, and a antiobiotic.
They put this swob thingy way up his nose, when they tested for the swine flu...eewww
Wow, glad it's not serious. Hope he feels better soon.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:18 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I was panicking last night, when my son came in my bedroom at 3:30 AM.
I scooped him up and he was burning up! Took his temp. it was 104.3
His heart rate was 111. I was going to take him to the Emergency room, but put a cool washcloth of his chest, and got it to come down.
I did take him to the doctor this` morning though...they tested him for the swine flu...negative. Guess he has the regular flu. He gave him cough syrup, with codeine, and a antiobiotic.
They put this swob thingy way up his nose, when they tested for the swine flu...eewww

I'm mighty happy your beloved son is feeling a bit better darlin'...

Old 10-25-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Good! High temp is more common and not than dangerous in children, but it's still pretty bad.

I'm having another "lucky" day... As if I ever have others... Had everything done at home yesterday in the hope of spending the day out and about today. Needed to run quite a few errands, too. BUT... as luck would have it, the water heater came up with a scary flashing message last night. It did the same thing about a year ago AGAIN over the weekend! Luckily, at least it turned out to be still under the builder's warranty. This problem is turning into a pattern, though... It looks like it needs to be replaced. Soooo, I'm stuck home in the hope of getting service. Chances are I'll waste my day and get no service, either.

Btw, speaking of that, I read in the paperwork you're supposed to have it drained every year. Does anybody really do it?

It's recommended to drain yearly cuz sediment/scale etc can accumulate & do damage( decrease longevity) to the coils/tank etc. Although many folks don't drain it yearly.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
It's recommended to drain yearly cuz sediment/scale etc can accumulate & do damage( decrease longevity) to the coils/tank etc. Although many folks don't drain it yearly.

Thanks, Hawk. Yeah, I did figure why it's recommended. It makes sense. I can't do it myself and I'd imagine the pleasure of hiring somebody to do it will probably run into the $200+... However, I don't believe that's the reason for getting the very same error I got in Sep of last year when the heater is less than 2 years old. Maybe it doesn't like the fall and can't adjust to less sun! I'm joking, but this happening twice in the fall might have something to do with the switching from solar to electric. Then again, it might be like the "check something" lights on the cars. In many cases it really means nothing! It just freaks out out. Damn computers!

Old 10-25-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Hawk. Yeah, I did figure why it's recommended. It makes sense. I can't do it myself and I'd imagine the pleasure of hiring somebody to do it will probably run into the $200+... However, I don't believe that's the reason for getting the very same error I got in Sep of last year when the heater is less than 2 years old. Maybe it doesn't like the fall and can't adjust to less sun! I'm joking, but this happening twice in the fall might have something to do with the switching from solar to electric. Then again, it might be like the "check something" lights on the cars. In many cases it really means nothing! It just freaks out out. Damn computers!

There is nothing much to it.

Turn off WH circuit breaker.

Close cold water inlet valve (usually on top of water heater)

Attach a length of garden hose to threaded hose bib on bottom of heater.

Drain heater.

Do reverse to turn WH back on...

Old 10-25-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Yep, draining the tank isn't why your getting an error code.

If your water heater quits working on you, there should be a reset button there inside one of the covers.
nothing.

Many times those idiot lights mean nothing. But not Always.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
There is nothing much to it.

Turn off WH circuit breaker.

Close cold water inlet valve (usually on top of water heater)

Attach a length of garden hose to threaded hose bib on bottom of heater.

Drain heater.

Do reverse to turn WH back on...
Thanks, but you've no idea whom you're talking to, Hawk! In addition to being afraid to attempt it and having 2 left hands, I can't even reach the top of the heater...

Old 10-25-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but you've no idea whom you're talking to, Hawk! In addition to being afraid to attempt it and having 2 left hands, I can't even reach the top of the heater...
You need a handy dandy utility/kitchen short ladder...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships