Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:34 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The guy I referenced is on permanent disability, and can't get a job--hence the food stamps.
I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Quote:
Fresh fruits and vegetables are NOT the only options. In fact, you don't necessarily need to have vegetables or fruits at all. Frozen dinners that you heat up in the microwave are fine, and fit my cooking ability. Soup and sandwiches are also fine.
Yes, you do need to have fruit and veggies for proper health. Vitamin deficiencies result in a host of physiological problems. I'll bet right now that you have a mouth full of tooth related issues if you're not concerned with vitamins. You won't get vitamins from eating crap. As far as frozen dinners go, they cost $3-5 a pop. Eating 3 a day is ~$80/week.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:45 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Well, if mom or dad need to go on public assistance in the mean time, as a tax payer I'd like those monies repaid when the child reaches 18 with interest.
Yup, it certainly should be.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:20 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
1. State law varies, but where I got divorced, unless it is in the terms of the divorce that the man "reimburse" his ex-wife for expenses she incurred to support him during their marriage, he is not obliged. (And unless she was a trust fund baby, if she didn't work I don't see how she could have paid for anything that he would have to reimburse her for.) This, I know, because my own attorney had encouraged me to put something in the property settlement agreement that if my ex ever came into money, he'd pay me back for the honeymoon and other things I paid for that he said he would pay me back for while we were married and never did.

2. If it is in his divorce agreement, the man would have been obliged to tell his new wife about it before they married, and if he didn't, she has a right to be annoyed, because she has a right to know what she's getting herself into. However, if he did tell her about it, then she needs to shut up and deal with it.

3. In most cases, I feel that child support is about all any man should have to pay an ex. Unless the couple is, say, in their 60s, and she quit her job to raise their children and would now be pretty much unemployable, the very concept of alimony is ridiculous, outdated, and unethical. A young, healthy, educated, able-bodied divorcee can get her arse off the couch and get a job to support herself.

HOWEVER, keep in mind that when I say "child support," I mean that the father should have to pay half of any and all costs for the child, including braces, health insurance, education, etc., not just groceries and clothing. Too many men think their support stops with the very basics. (My sister, a dental assistant, was smart enough to get a divorce that makes her ex, who makes at least a good quarter mill a year, pay for all of the education of their kids, and when her ex started complaining that my sister wasn't paying toward their daughter's wedding at a ritzy country club that the ex picked out, their son threatened to go back to school for a PhD. Attaboy!)

And, this goes the other way around, because there are plenty of men out there who would love nothing better than to collect alimony from a wealthy ex. You just don't hear about it because society tends to emasculate men who sponge off women.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:38 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, I've seen child support failing to serve its function.

So...let it go to the person it's intended for, even if they have to wait until 18 to get it.
Your misunderstandings of trust law aside, you are forgetting that empty stomachs, broken arms, and tutoring need to be taken care of NOW, not when the kid is 18. If you had proposed your scheme to my sister in the early 80s, when she was 25 with two small children under the age of 5 and working in Burger King, she'd have laughed in your face. What you don't know about having children is a lot.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:44 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Your misunderstandings of trust law aside, you are forgetting that empty stomachs, broken arms, and tutoring need to be taken care of NOW, not when the kid is 18. If you had proposed your scheme to my sister in the early 80s, when she was 25 with two small children under the age of 5 and working in Burger King, she'd have laughed in your face. What you don't know about having children is a lot.
According to Tkramar, his way of living is supposed to be good enough for everybody. I guess a lot of people take that attitude however silly it is.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:39 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
My parents didn't take me to the doctor for broken bones. Probably to hide the abuse.

So was your sister one of those who stole her kids money to feed herself instead of her kids?

Old 08-28-2010, 12:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
My parents didn't take me to the doctor for broken bones. Probably to hide the abuse.

So was your sister one of those who stole her kids money to feed herself instead of her kids?
TK, don't go there, it's just rude.

We all know from your previous posts that you come from a very abused, neglected background, and that is terrible.

But just because your abusive parents didn't take you to the doctor for broken bones does not mean regular normal parents should save on expenses and do the same thing

Old 08-28-2010, 12:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
According to Tkramar, his way of living is supposed to be good enough for everybody. I guess a lot of people take that attitude however silly it is.
Unfortunately, he lacks the ability to understand what "normal" living is and thinks "hey, I survived not going to doctors or eating decent food, so other people should be able to also". It's very sad

Old 08-28-2010, 12:59 PM

Not all kids wind up having bones broken during childhood. Isn't that amazing?

Old 08-28-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Unfortunately, he lacks the ability to understand what "normal" living is and thinks "hey, I survived not going to doctors or eating decent food, so other people should be able to also". It's very sad

I would have even been satisfied with what you call indecent food. I survived being underweight, and the most important thing in my food choices is a large amount of calories--which I burn off fairly quickly.

I only weight 125#.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships