Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:53 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Even with most insurance, a parent would have to pay the emergency room copay (mine is $150) and other fees. Even a trip to the regular doctor incurs a copay. And then you have the cost of any prescriptions and any other incidental costs (X-rays, anesthesiologist, whatever) that may arise. And the money from this has to be paid now, unless the parent is a deadbeat who takes advantage of hospitals and doesn't ever pay, and I hope that's not your advised solution.

Even if a parent's insurance covered the entire ordeal (such as if the parent had a great policy or AFLAC to cover the difference), the money to pay these premiums has to be paid.

The money doesn't materialize out of thin air, obviously. Someone has to pay it. Child + Parent costs more than Person alone. The non-custodial parent helps make up the difference of the two.
Reasonable, intelligent, educated people know this I'm hoping that anyone who didn't understand this before has learned something from your post

Old 08-31-2010, 05:21 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Even with most insurance, a parent would have to pay the emergency room copay (mine is $150) and other fees. Even a trip to the regular doctor incurs a copay. And then you have the cost of any prescriptions and any other incidental costs (X-rays, anesthesiologist, whatever) that may arise. And the money from this has to be paid now, unless the parent is a deadbeat who takes advantage of hospitals and doesn't ever pay, and I hope that's not your advised solution.

Even if a parent's insurance covered the entire ordeal (such as if the parent had a great policy or AFLAC to cover the difference), the money to pay these premiums has to be paid.

The money doesn't materialize out of thin air, obviously. Someone has to pay it. Child + Parent costs more than Person alone. The non-custodial parent helps make up the difference of the two.
And if you're going to take a child to a doctor, you should be willing to pay the expense out of your pocket for the insurance.

Personally, I would never take a child to those quacks or go to them myself, but many people will seek medical care from others.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Well apparently you're too simple to have realised it takes TWO parents to make a child, why should only the custodial parent have to support the child (in your scenario where the NONcustodial parent pays but it's not really "support").
Why should only one have custody? Why should they not remain married in the first place?

Shotgun weddings are a great idea.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:25 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And if you're going to take a child to a doctor, you should be willing to pay the expense out of your pocket for the insurance.

Personally, I would never take a child to those quacks or go to them myself, but many people will seek medical care from others.
Yes, most parents will take a child to the doctor for a broken arm. That's what we're discussing. Fortunately, the law does not agree with you, anyway. It sides with the child who needs appropriate medical care now.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:40 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.