Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:19 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,342,445 times

Advertisements

If it bothers you that much, next time multiply the tax by 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 08:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
This isn't about 2 for 1 coupons or dinners won in a raffle which are an entirely different scenario from that which the OP is questioning and in which case, yes, it's normal practice for the customer to tip on the full amount.
Half-priced drinks and appetizers sound exactly like 2-for-1 deals to me. The OP said the bill was half what it should have been. I must be missing something. Your forehead smacking seems so emphatic.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:21 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
If you are sweating so over what a woman thinks about how much of a tip you left, you are a doomed man. If you are concerned that you didnt tip enough, based on the service you got, then as another poster said, make it up the next time that waitress waits on you.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:36 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Half-priced drinks and appetizers sound exactly like 2-for-1 deals to me. The OP said the bill was half what it should have been. I must be missing something. Your forehead smacking seems so emphatic.
I could explain this until the cows come home but there seems little point.

Tell you what, though, how about if a couple of nights from now I make sure that my waitstaff makes it perfectly clear to our "Misery Hour" customers that although their drinks are as usual discounted during that timeframe, we expect them to tip on the amount they would pay for those drinks outside of Misery Hour? Of course we'd have to tell them what the regular prices are so they wouldn't be confused but maybe a big sign would suffice and save the extra effort.

Yes, the forehead smacking is appropriate and intendedly emphatic.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:46 AM

Okay. I asked a question, and you spent more time telling me why you wouldn't answer than you would have just answering the question. I don't know why you had to be snide, unless you have no idea either, which is how it looks to me. Cheers!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:51 AM

For instance:

Tipping less is customary at happy hour or other discounted prices at the bar. Tips are lower but waitstaff get more of them, because bar patrons are turned over much more quickly than in the dining area. For discounted meals in the dining area, it's customary to tip full price.

See how easy that was?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:40 AM

15 posts, read 42,820 times
Alright, it's definitely not worth stressing about, as its in the past. I'm usually not one to sit at the bar, so it was a first for me. And Julia, you have a point there. So, that's that and it's over with.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
For instance:

Tipping less is customary at happy hour or other discounted prices at the bar. Tips are lower but waitstaff get more of them, because bar patrons are turned over much more quickly than in the dining area. For discounted meals in the dining area, it's customary to tip full price.

See how easy that was?
And the OP was sitting at the bar. Again, it has nothing to do with 2 for 1 coupons or raffled items or otherwise "comped" meals.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:01 AM

454 posts, read 689,145 times
Lordie, and if you tipped her too much let me guess she would have splashed her drink on you cause she thought you were flirting with her by paying a high tip?

In the early stages of the relationship, try to keep money out of the equation at all costs. She shouldn't be focused on your spending and you shouldn't be trying to impress her with big tips. For all you know this woman could be gone next week, with it nothing to do about money.

A great way to make up for it is to go to her resturaunt and tip her if it makes you feel any better. But like I said, money shouldnt be in the equation this early.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:27 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
WRONG! I surely must be missing something here (and I discussed this thread with my waitstaff). We have Happy Hour (although we term it "Misery Hour") and wouldn't expect someone to tip based on the regular price for drinks when they're discounted for a couple of hours. The customer tips on the amount of the check.

Maybe someone could explain what we're missing here?
I think Julia's point about high turn over during happy hour covers it well enough. As long as the staff is earning what they usually bring home (or more), it seems reasonable to me. If they are earning less, that would be a problem since it could affect their financial budget/lives, etc. As far as drinks go, tho, it's usually a buck a drink ime, unless your patrons are bartenders and waitresses lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships