Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 01:15 PM

15 posts, read 42,816 times

Advertisements

This is more of a personal rant than anything else, but I thought I'd share anyway.

Alright, so after class the other night, I had dinner with this classmate of mine. We've been working together on a project, so we've been alone together a couple of times before. It's just that we have never been together without schoolwork being the reason, and I was compelled to ask her to go out outside of schoolwork.

It wasn't a date or anything, just dinner. We sat at the bar, and drinks and appetizers were half off. I usually just double the tax as the tip (works out well with NYC tax rate), so I did the same here. That the food was half-priced didn't come to mind when I was paying the bill, so basically the tip was half what it should have been.

I didn't realize that until the day after, and I'd hate for her to think that I'm a cheapo. What makes it worse is that this girl (my classmate) is a part-time waitress too. Ouch! I'm hoping she didn't see how much money I had put in the cup with the bill. The bill was wrapped up with the cash, so she might not have seen it; however, I went to the men's room right after putting down the money, so she could have seen it. I feel so stupid right now! Ugh!

However, we've been out 3 times for dinner (2 times for schoolwork), and I had paid for two of them (I insisted). I've also paid for her coffee the few times that we got coffee together (again, I insisted). Hopefully she doesn't think I'm El Cheapo.

So, should I mention it the next time I see her? I can say something like "hey, I realized that I didn't give the waiter enough tip the other night. I feel bad!" Or should I just leave it alone?

I'm such a dumbass!
Danny

Last edited by CronoDL; 11-08-2009 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 01:18 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Eh. I highly doubt she noticed. Don't sweat it and move on. And I don't think that being a big tipper impresses women either.

But if you go back to that restaurant and get the same server, give her the rest of the tip that she deserves. That would be a really nice gesture and greatly appreciated by the waitress. And that would impress your date that you have such integrity.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:35 PM

15 posts, read 42,816 times
Yeah, I'll try to not sweat it.

I did make an edit to the original post. I meant that the girl that I went out with is a part time waitress herself, so she might be more sensitive to cheap tippers.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:38 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
So on your future dates, just be more careful in what you leave for a tip. That's all. I'm a waitress myself, and I wouldn't break up with a guy that made a mistake over what he left as a tip. Not if I was really into the guy. And it seems to me that if she had noticed your tip was subpar, then she would have either made a comment then and there to you, or added to the tip with her own money. That way she wouldn't have been an accessory to your cheap tip. Don't over think this small mistake on your part.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:59 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
I thought tips were based on the actual cost of the meal. I don't really see a problem.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:01 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
[quote=miu;11537071]So on your future dates, just be more careful in what you leave for a tip. That's all. I'm a waitress myself, and I wouldn't break up with a guy that made a mistake over what he left as a tip. Not if I was really into the guy.

Hi miu,

That's why he should leave a cheap tip.

Quote:
And it seems to me that if she had noticed your tip was subpar, then she would have either made a comment then and there to you, or added to the tip with her own money. That way she wouldn't have been an accessory to your cheap tip. Don't over think this small mistake on your part.
Not only should he over think it but he should make more of them.

I never bothered with little mistakes and its better to find out if one is psycho about them sooner.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CronoDL View Post
Yeah, I'll try to not sweat it.

I did make an edit to the original post. I meant that the girl that I went out with is a part time waitress herself, so she might be more sensitive to cheap tippers.
Very likely she is. Just turn it around and put the blame on her - ask her why she didn't correct your mistake -- j/k but you could point that out, that you weren't thinking and next time you goof up, she should catch it.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I'm a restaurant owner and don't understand why anybody would tip on the "regular" price of anything when it's a special deal of half off the regular price. I don't expect customers to tip on anything but the amount of the check.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:16 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm a restaurant owner and don't understand why anybody would tip on the "regular" price of anything when it's a special deal of half off the regular price. I don't expect customers to tip on anything but the amount of the check.
I have a bad feeling that this is another angsty TVSG type thread in the making.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:24 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Weird. I have tipped as high as 15$ on a $25 meal and I get written off as a spendthrifty snob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships