Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:04 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,857,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001
Investing? On what? A roxxxy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Believe it or not, all dolls are made in China
What happened to that thread? This development is probably more important to relationships, in the medium term, than even the current depressed economy.

Moderators are like ostriches!

I'm reminded of the famous quote from IBM management in the 50s. "We don't foresee the need for more than about 10 computers"!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,775,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
This is hardly just a problem for China alone. For age 18 to 50, Canada has 5 million single men and only 4 million single women. There is a similar situation in the US and this is likely the same in Australia and NZ. In these countries, this is caused by immigration.

I guess that the single women are in Mexico and the Philippines!

But not India, BTW. India also has the "Chinese problem", since ultrasound clinics came there. Indian men then want to go to US so they can make enough money to afford a wife, in what is a competitive dowry market.
Could it be that immigrants to Canada (of which there are many) are eliminating their female fetuses just as they would back home?

Anyway, why is this a problem? Why would you want to be born a girl in a society that devalues girls? The guys can just pair off with each other, which seems to be what a huge portion of guys would rather do anyway, if societal pressures didn't force them into hetero roles.

And I certainly don't blame guys for preferring the company (and bodies) of other guys. They and I have similar tastes. I can't imagine being trapped in a relationship with a female.

But doesn't the Dowry thing work the opposite way? Don't parents basically pay the men to marry their daughters? And isn't that one reason for eliminating female children? So that the family won't be disadvantaged, financially, by the expense of a dowry?

In any event, I don't think we should be allowing significant immigration from countries where women are so devalued that people feel the need to kill their girls. We're importing that attitude, and the propensity toward such attitudes.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:58 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,338,323 times
Aren't Chinese man sexually repressed and often seek out YOUNGER women to eventually use as sex slaves... I mean marry.

Hmm or is that Japan?

Old 01-12-2010, 12:05 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
Not to mention the single women that China does have, all want to get the heck out and marry an American, lol. It's gotta stink being a single Chinese guy. I feel bad for them but yeah maybe they should stop aborting their little girls!!!

Old 01-12-2010, 12:09 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,286,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
This is hardly just a problem for China alone. For age 18 to 50, Canada has 5 million single men and only 4 million single women.
This interested me so I went hunting for solid statistics, but came up empty - did you see this on a website or something?

Old 01-12-2010, 12:13 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,527,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
This interested me so I went hunting for solid statistics, but came up empty - did you see this on a website or something?
www.Imakeupmyownfacts.bs

Old 01-12-2010, 12:32 PM

437 posts, read 675,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Interesting. Poetic justice, if you ask me,
I feel the same way about the falling tax base and the upcoming euthunasia of the baby boomers who championed "abortion rights."

Old 01-12-2010, 12:33 PM

437 posts, read 675,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Poetic justice for all those unneeded abortions. "Kill a baby, retire a penis".
I would comment that the sense of self righteousness if misplaced. The men who will be unable to find wives had NOTHING to do with the one-child policy- that was the previous generations

Old 01-12-2010, 12:34 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Could it be that immigrants to Canada (of which there are many) are eliminating their female fetuses just as they would back home?
This is likely a minor part of this but since, in western societies, there are fewer constraints on family size, its not likely prevalent. For a high immigrant society, the sex ratio is a big issue, over the long run. Men are far more likely to emmigrate as individuals. Women more often come with the family unit. Over decades, this can result in such a large difference. It may have been even greater a century ago when immigration was also high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Anyway, why is this a problem? Why would you want to be born a girl in a society that devalues girls? The guys can just pair off with each other, which seems to be what a huge portion of guys would rather do anyway, if societal pressures didn't force them into hetero roles.
The interesting thing is that North American society is and certainly has become a place that devalues men and boys, yet here, they are the ones who have the larger numbers. In our society, this seriously reduces their value to employers (who are forced to treat women equally - at least 50:50) and makes it more difficult to get in relationships. In the US, very high incarceration rates mask this to some extent.

Meanwhile, if one only looked at the total population, they would say this imbalance doesn't exist, since for those over age 55, women start to outnumber men by a considerable margin.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:37 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,527,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiko View Post
I would comment that the sense of self righteousness if misplaced. The men who will be unable to find wives had NOTHING to do with the one-child policy- that was the previous generations
Such as the nature of society. Current generations always pay the price for the past mistakes. Millions of young adults aren't exactly having a great time in today's economy, I'm sure.

Like I said, it's a societal problem for the state of China because of past (and current for that matter) Chinese policies. I've got no sympathy.

They implemented a kill a baby program, so now it's the "kill a baby, retire a penis" program. And they act like they're shocked this all happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships