Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 11:42 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Nor when she or another female in the office decides to leave due to pregnancy thereby affecting the rest of the office to pick up the workload. If you're lucky your employer will hire a temp, but not everyone has that luxery since the employer would in effect be paying two people for the same job position.
Same deal when a guy is out due to heart attack or back surgery. Someone has to pick up the slack. But thats why temp services are so common.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:42 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Most employers are free to fire pregnant employees -- and do.
And set themselves up for a lawsuit? It's not legal to discriminate against women, you know.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I have strong opinions about the disservice to society inherent in the concept of "equal work for equal pay" as well... but that's another subject altogether! (Suffice it to say, it's just another form of entitlement for upper class white women...)
Do you have the same opinions regarding the civil rights movement in general as you do the feminist movement?

Old 07-06-2010, 11:46 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And set themselves up for a lawsuit? It's not legal to discriminate against women, you know.
Tkramar: although I actually have a law degree, practice law and have handled employment discrimination cases on both sides of the bar, the fact remains I never studied law at that great library where you read McBeth by Bill Shakie. Therefore, I won't argue with you.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:49 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Same deal when a guy is out due to heart attack or back surgery. Someone has to pick up the slack. But thats why temp services are so common.
There are lots of reasons coworkers pick up the slack for other coworkers. You just do it because, someday, you'll need their help.

I loved the lab I used to work in. We picked up each others work all the time for lots of reasons and sometimes no reason at all. We had one guy who really liked to hunt. I liked to take off to attend functions at my chidlren's school. One guy had a heart attack. I worked part time when my daughter was born. Men left early to pick up their kids from day care. It was a great place to work.

I wish all workplaces were like that. It really felt like family there. Nobody kept score. If we got done with our work, we went and found someone who needed help. No one cared if they did more work than the next guy. We were a team. A well oiled one. I never felt like I was putting someone else out to ask for help or that I was put out when others asked me for help.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:49 AM

I've seen, in practice, companies forced to compensate for pregnant women almost to the point where they didn't do anything at all....and still got paid.

If they wanted to, they could get off work entirely--under the Family Medical Leave Act.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
There are lots of reasons coworkers pick up the slack for other coworkers. You just do it because, someday, you'll need their help.

I loved the lab I used to work in. We picked up each others work all the time for lots of reasons and sometimes no reason at all. We had one guy who really liked to hunt. I liked to take off to attend functions at my chidlren's school. One guy had a heart attack. I worked part time when my daughter was born. Men left early to pick up their kids from day care. It was a great place to work.

I wish all workplaces were like that. It really felt like family there. Nobody kept score. If we got done with our work, we went and found someone who needed help. No one cared if they did more work than the next guy. We were a team. A well oiled one. I never felt like I was putting someone else out to ask for help or that I was put out when others asked me for help.
We don't like picking up slack for other people when they're out. We don't like picking up slack for people who underperform. Guess who's disliked the most? The person that accomplishes the least.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:53 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've seen, in practice, companies forced to compensate for pregnant women almost to the point where they didn't do anything at all....and still got paid.

If they wanted to, they could get off work entirely--under the Family Medical Leave Act.
FMLA applies only to larger employers and covers all serious medical conditions; incidentally, there is no specific coverage for pregnancy, so it's not protected under FMLA unless it becomes associated with a serious illness. Where FMLA applies, it enables both men and women to take care of newborns; a man can take a paternity leave, if he wishes.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:56 AM

I think that every woman would argue that it is indeed a medical condition. As a matter of fact, you risk dying from pregnancy. As of yet, men do not. But there is specific leave addressed under FMLA for both mothers AND fathers of newborn children. Just that the men don't take advantage of said leave.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

Thats pretty much how it is at my workplace. We help where help is needed and to improve our company. Dosnt matter what our job description is or pay scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships