Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:51 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times

Advertisements

This has come up indirectly in the relationships thread a few times recently (and I have my own opinion) but what do you guys think- Can a man and woman be close friends if one or both are married to someone else? Where do you draw the line in male/female friendships like this? At what point does it become a problem or does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 11:04 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,796,331 times
My husband and I are friend with mostly couples.
We each have our own friends as well.. but most are the same sex. Although, I am not opposed him having female friends, because I do as well.. we do things with them as a couple. That way no one feels like they are "hiding" something.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:18 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
When I was single most of my friends were men

But then when they got married most of them dumped out friendship because I guess the girls thought I was "threatenineg" (did I spell that right?)

Old 05-24-2007, 11:25 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
All through my life I have had "best" friends who were male. When I was young(and beautiful) sometimes I had to pull away from male friends, because they wanted more than friendship. There is a difference between lust and friendship and the difference is usually pretty clear. I think everyone needs friends, sometimes you need your male friends input and sometimes your girlfriends input. My husband and I have each had male and female friends over the years. With a little jealousy at times (we are human beings) I value my male friends as much as my female ones.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:05 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
My Dad used to laugh at me when I'd refer to a female friend as "she's just a friend". He'd always say the same thing; she's still a girl and you're still a boy and no matter what you believe you can't ever get far enough away from that fact.

Truth be told I've had many successful friendships with women in my lifetime. However in order for me to be friends with a woman these past twenty years (a.k.a. the length of time I've been with my wife) she would need to also be friends with my wife. No matter how honest or sincere or harmless it may be, a married man or woman should be overly cautious when maintaining friendships with he opposite sex.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:19 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times
I think Billy Krystal pretty much nailed it during the car trip with Meg Ryan in the beginning of the movie " When Harry met Sally"

Old 05-24-2007, 01:22 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
I've always had friends of both sexes; no lines crossed, and only rarely a minor incidence of jealousy on someone's side (not mine).

I find having friends of both sexes rewarding--two different POV.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:54 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
This has come up indirectly in the relationships thread a few times recently (and I have my own opinion) but what do you guys think- Can a man and woman be close friends if one or both are married to someone else? Where do you draw the line in male/female friendships like this? At what point does it become a problem or does it?

I think you can have a very close friendship with someone of the opposite sex. My best friends have usually been males.

It is much easier, however, to maintain this friendship when you are single or not in some type of bf/gf, partner, husband/wife whatever point.

Once there is a "couple", THAT should be your best friend and regardless of how good your other friends are, I don't think there is any way to maintain what you had to the same degree. The new "couple" situation and responsibilities will absolve most of the time you had before for someone else.

I think probably "couples" will stick with other "couples" and singles will stick with singles, for the most part. It would be very hard to hang out at the mall, and the manicurist, at the concerts, at restaurants or cafes with your opposite sex or same sex best friend after you get into a commitment,
or should I say, after you are commited????

Old 05-24-2007, 01:57 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
One of my favourite movies! But a movie is just that, and although like the move people often do end up a sexual relationship, male-female friendships without it, imo, are healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
I think Billy Krystal pretty much nailed it during the car trip with Meg Ryan in the beginning of the movie " When Harry met Sally"

Old 05-24-2007, 02:10 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I've always had friends of both sexes; no lines crossed, and only rarely a minor incidence of jealousy on someone's side (not mine).

I find having friends of both sexes rewarding--two different POV.
I find it rewarding too, but I also find it dangerous if you get TOO close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships