Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 07:44 PM

4 posts, read 7,999 times

Advertisements

Which Online dating sites does anyone recommend?? I am trying OkCupid but they always match me with people who are not compatible with me.I heard PlentyofFish is good but haven't really heard much about it. Which free sites are good??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheenabobbins View Post
Which Online dating sites does anyone recommend?? I am trying OkCupid but they always match me with people who are not compatible with me.I heard PlentyofFish is good but haven't really heard much about it. Which free sites are good??

Craiglist and PlentyofFish

Old 02-22-2010, 08:21 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheenabobbins View Post
I've used Match and POF, and would recommend them both. Match of course, isn't free though.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:32 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
Funny how 100% of the responses here all claim they would NEVER stoop so low as to ..........online date. HMMMMMM amazing, as in there are hundreds of thousands of members on EACH of the major online sites.

Fact is, online dating is in and fact is, if you use it right, you can meet someone nice and compatible.
Yep and I have met some very nice people..not any keepers though. Good friends however.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why in the world a women over 60 would be on a dating website. Very Odd
Old people still need some loven!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 7,999 times
Wow i didn't even know Craiglist had a dating section.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:31 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Craigslist is "hook-up mart," from what I've heard. Wouldn't bother with that.

I've tried Plenty of Fish in the past without much luck. I recently joined Singlesnet and had some success but the number of messages I receive is overwhelming, hard to keep up. OKCupid seems pretty good, too. I put up a profile last month but didn't do much with it. I just started spending a bit of time there. I haven't done a paid membership at any of these sites.

I'm only "learning the ropes" at these sites. If I meet someone extra special and it turns into a solid relationship -- great! If not, I might well give Match or E-Harmony a go in the future.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:03 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
From talking to several people (and personal experience), it seems like E-Harmony is for the more conservative/Christian crowd, CraigsList for random hook-ups, Match for dating around, and Chemistry for a relationship. E-Harmony gave me a bad taste in my mouth so I never joined up with them (I don't like how they'll tell you that there's no one out there for you and send emails like "he hasn't called, what did you do wrong??" -- just seemed to play on insecurities). Chemistry was interesting, and my good friend just got engaged to a guy she met on there.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:18 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
From talking to several people (and personal experience), it seems like E-Harmony is for the more conservative/Christian crowd, CraigsList for random hook-ups, Match for dating around, and Chemistry for a relationship. E-Harmony gave me a bad taste in my mouth so I never joined up with them (I don't like how they'll tell you that there's no one out there for you and send emails like "he hasn't called, what did you do wrong??" -- just seemed to play on insecurities). Chemistry was interesting, and my good friend just got engaged to a guy she met on there.
I've never used POF or Craigslist, but I didn't find Match to be a "just dating around" site by any means. I know a lot of people who have met their current SO's and husbands/wives on match.com. I know hardly ANYONE who has met theirs on eharmony.

I don't know if eHarmony is the "christian" site, but it's definately a site for people who have a VERY VERY hard time getting a date. The site matches you up, you don't get to scan profiles and pictures, so people who are ugly as sin, super supre fat, or are really bad at writing a profile about themselves. Basically they probably tried a cheaper dating site like POF or Match and no one would go out with them. So eHarmony makes it so they have a better chance by the numbers.

Unfortunately I gave up on eHarmony because the process was too long for communication, and I only got matched up with girls who were over 200 lbs.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I've never used POF or Craigslist, but I didn't find Match to be a "just dating around" site by any means. I know a lot of people who have met their current SO's and husbands/wives on match.com. I know hardly ANYONE who has met theirs on eharmony.

I don't know if eHarmony is the "christian" site, but it's definately a site for people who have a VERY VERY hard time getting a date. The site matches you up, you don't get to scan profiles and pictures, so people who are ugly as sin, super supre fat, or are really bad at writing a profile about themselves. Basically they probably tried a cheaper dating site like POF or Match and no one would go out with them. So eHarmony makes it so they have a better chance by the numbers.

Unfortunately I gave up on eHarmony because the process was too long for communication, and I only got matched up with girls who were over 200 lbs.
Everyone's experience is different, I didn't try all of these out personally so it's just my impressions based on other's experiences. eHarmony is the one that really rubbed me the wrong way based on experiences from several people, but to each his own. If it's designed for people with real problems, then that would explain some of it, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships