Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,238 times

Advertisements

i like the free sites better

eharmony doesnt give you much freedom. i like match, but all the people on free profiles are a pain. as a guy you write a bunch of msgs but a lot of them never get read because you cant tell if you are writing to a paying or free member. free members cant see their mailbox.

OKC is my favorite. you know everyone can read your msgs. POF is the same, but i found the quality there really sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 08:55 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,996 times
When it comes to online dating, it's important to keep an open mind and not have unrealistic expectations. It's also important not to take one or two bad experiences and generalize. I see a lot of people do just this. They sign up for match or eharmony, meet some weirdos, and then come away thinking online dating is a waste of time and a haven for losers. You'll always have bad experiences no matter what method you employ to meet someone and you'll always hear horror stories. The rules for meeting someone online are really no different than the rules you would employ in the real world.

I haven't had a lot of experience with it, but I do know that eHarmony is not a site just for Christians. I'm an atheist and I narrowed my list of potential matches to people who weren't religious. I thought that would get me no matches, but I actually averaged about 2 matches per week. That's why I roll my eyes whenever I hear people complaining about not getting matches. Maybe the real problem is you. As for the process that make you go through, people need to stop whining about that. If you're serious about meeting Mr. or Mrs. Right, then giving up an hour to fill in a questionnaire is a small price to pay. I think too many people are just impatient. Sure it's frustrating that you can't do searches and have to wait for matches. But that's the premise of the site and if you don't agree, then don't sign up. I don't blame these sites for a lack of results. They're setting up a meeting place for you to meet people you might not normally run into. If you're not happy with the selection of people, too bad. It's not the site's fault. And keep in mind that you get what you pay for. You can sign up for a free site and meet a lot more people. But you'll also find a lot more people just playing games. At least if someone's willing to pay a fee, you know they're somewhat serious.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:33 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
The worst part is the "wink"

When I used match, I got about 6 to 10 winks a week. That's coz these women are freeloaders and are too stingy to sign up and send an actual email

I met some nice characters though. They just brought too much baggage for me. And, another major problem for me was that I'm not a snowboarding guy. I hate to ski. The snow makes me sick coz I'm from a tropical country. Besides I tend to use my weekends in productive ways. Enough said.

And this is Colorado. Almost every woman likes the activities. They just run to the snow clad mountains

Old 02-23-2010, 09:53 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
The worst part is the "wink"

When I used match, I got about 6 to 10 winks a week. That's coz these women are freeloaders and are too stingy to sign up and send an actual email
I've heard women say the same thing about men who wink. But aren't some sites free for women and charge for men? If that's the case, then there's no excuse to just be sending a wink since sending an email is free.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:28 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
When it comes to online dating, it's important to keep an open mind and not have unrealistic expectations. It's also important not to take one or two bad experiences and generalize. I see a lot of people do just this. They sign up for match or eharmony, meet some weirdos, and then come away thinking online dating is a waste of time and a haven for losers. You'll always have bad experiences no matter what method you employ to meet someone and you'll always hear horror stories. The rules for meeting someone online are really no different than the rules you would employ in the real world.

I haven't had a lot of experience with it, but I do know that eHarmony is not a site just for Christians. I'm an atheist and I narrowed my list of potential matches to people who weren't religious. I thought that would get me no matches, but I actually averaged about 2 matches per week. That's why I roll my eyes whenever I hear people complaining about not getting matches. Maybe the real problem is you. As for the process that make you go through, people need to stop whining about that. If you're serious about meeting Mr. or Mrs. Right, then giving up an hour to fill in a questionnaire is a small price to pay. I think too many people are just impatient. Sure it's frustrating that you can't do searches and have to wait for matches. But that's the premise of the site and if you don't agree, then don't sign up. I don't blame these sites for a lack of results. They're setting up a meeting place for you to meet people you might not normally run into. If you're not happy with the selection of people, too bad. It's not the site's fault. And keep in mind that you get what you pay for. You can sign up for a free site and meet a lot more people. But you'll also find a lot more people just playing games. At least if someone's willing to pay a fee, you know they're somewhat serious.

Good post.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I've heard women say the same thing about men who wink. But aren't some sites free for women and charge for men? If that's the case, then there's no excuse to just be sending a wink since sending an email is free.
Some of the girls told me they actually signed up to respond to my email and start a conversation.

I was told match has a three day trial period or something wherein they have to call a toll free number and cancel it before they can actually bill their credit cards.

But generally, the women have already used their trial period up and they actually have to pay.

What's the big deal about spending 30 bucks or so Nothing good comes for free. The age old axiom.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Some of the girls told me they actually signed up to respond to my email and start a conversation.

I was told match has a three day trial period or something wherein they have to call a toll free number and cancel it before they can actually bill their credit cards.

But generally, the women have already used their trial period up and they actually have to pay.

What's the big deal about spending 30 bucks or so Nothing good comes for free. The age old axiom.
No kidding. A three-day trial? Do people really expect to find someone in THREE days? Ha. Anyone that isn't prepared to give it 3 months MINIMUM is wasting their time to begin with.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Ep-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No kidding. A three-day trial? Do people really expect to find someone in THREE days? Ha. Anyone that isn't prepared to give it 3 months MINIMUM is wasting their time to begin with.
i think thats when they bombard you with winks and short messages that are fake so you sign up. i remember getting 10 winks my first day and since then it hasnt been anything like that :P

Old 02-23-2010, 11:06 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Quote:
It's not the $30 -- it's being able to stop the service when you want. I've read a lot of complaints online about the dating sites not honoring requests to quit the service and stop charging one's account. That's the thing that gives me pause.

Has anyone here had that problem with the big, paid sites?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Ep-

i signed up for 3 months of match, deactivated auto renew the same day and when it ran out it ran out. nothing fishy

most people just forget to deactivate the auto renew then get mad at the company when they get billed again. not the companies fault
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships