Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The following are pretty much mandatory to be considered a civilized person, in my book:

1) Saying please, thank you, and you're welcome.
2) Holding the door open for others.
3) Writing thank-you notes.
4) Standing to greet an adult entering the room.
5) Attending funerals for those dear to those you care about or, failing that, at least writing a condolence letter (No, cheesy Hallmark cards don't count).
6) Standing when a lady enters or leaves a room.
7) Turning off the television when company comes.
8) Being able-bodied and giving up one's seat on a subway or bus to someone who's elderly or pregnant.
9) RSVPing to an invitation.

If you cannot do items 1-5, 8, and 9, then I just really have nothing to say to you.
Not always. Men stand for women of the same social station, but women do not stand for men. I would stand for someone above me, such as someone much older or a dignitary of some sort. I would not stand for another woman. (Hmm, that sounds wrong.)

Children always stand for adults, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 05:20 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,385,704 times
Quote:
The following are pretty much mandatory to be considered a civilized person, in my book:

1) Saying please, thank you, and you're welcome.
2) Holding the door open for others.
3) Writing thank-you notes.
4) Standing to greet an adult entering the room.
5) Attending funerals for those dear to those you care about or, failing that, at least writing a condolence letter (No, cheesy Hallmark cards don't count).
6) Standing when a lady enters or leaves a room.
7) Turning off the television when company comes.
8) Being able-bodied and giving up one's seat on a subway or bus to someone who's elderly or pregnant.
9) RSVPing to an invitation.

If you cannot do items 1-5, 8, and 9, then I just really have nothing to say to you.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:52 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Not always. Men stand for women of the same social station, but women do not stand for men. I would stand for someone above me, such as someone much older or a dignitary of some sort. I would not stand for another woman. (Hmm, that sounds wrong.)

Children always stand for adults, though.
True. I should have been more specific.

The entire point of manners is to respect other people. Show me someone who thinks manners are some outdated ritual, and I'll show you somebody who is in it for themselves.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
True. I should have been more specific.

The entire point of manners is to respect other people. Show me someone who thinks manners are some outdated ritual, and I'll show you somebody who is in it for themselves.
ah, yes, i see you've been brainwashed by the debutaunte coordinators of the deep south. they apparently never asked you to prance around in a circle in a pengiun suit like they did me. we all comply because, as you can see in the thread, the ladies strongly approve.

manners are about respect, but that is not the entire point, as you say. an additional and equally important role of manners are for the upper class to distinguish themselves from different, lower social classes. it is a competition, which is why sometimes the traditions feel so absurd.

Last edited by le roi; 03-05-2010 at 06:52 AM..

Old 03-05-2010, 06:51 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinlalaland View Post
Do you find manners...saying please and thank you, opening doors, pulling out chairs etc. attractive, or a sign of weakness?
Absolutely not. In fact, I personally find a lack of manners to be more of a sign of weakness-a weakness of character.

I was raised very heavily on the etiquette of manners and find it appalling how many people lack basic manenrs, such as the ones you mentioned.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:52 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Good manners, respect and consideration never go out of style. I've always been thankful that my Momma raised me up right. So has my wife!.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:54 AM

1,089 posts, read 2,399,429 times
I must admit I'm surprised (pleasantly) at your replies! I was expecting that many people believe that a guy in particular who shows good manners is an easily taken advantage of and boring "nice guy".

Glad to be proven wrong in this case

Old 03-05-2010, 06:56 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
ah, yes, i see you've been brainwashed by the debutaunte coordinators of the deep south. they apparently never asked you to prance around in a circle in a pengiun suit like they did me. we all comply because, as you can see in the thread, the ladies strongly approve.

manners are about respect, but that is not the entire point, as you say. an additional and equally important role of manners are for the upper class to distinguish themselves from different, lower social classes. it is a competition, which is why they are often so ridiculous.
This might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

Notice that in my list of manners, I never said the first thing about knowing what fork to use with the fish or where to put the napkin when you leave the table. Nothing about what to wear to a funeral or a wedding, either.

Nope. I simply stated what are the fundamentals to ensure that others feel appreciated and welcome in any social setting. Sounds as if you could benefit from a few of those pointers.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
This might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.
really? it is a summarization of something amy vanderbilt said.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:01 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Manners are a way of life in the south indeed. I hope they never go out of style, but I do see them slipping away with the younger generations. Seldom do you see a man stand when a women enters, remove their hat or pull out a chair. I use to see this often when I was young. I never understood it tho.
Most people always say please, thank you and excuse me, hold the door, lend a helping hand, and give up their seat to anyone older or weaker. I find myself having to reinforce this with my grandkids, apparently younger parents dont teach their children manners anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships