Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:35 PM

6 posts, read 6,750 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am graduating from college in a month and have a full-time job lined up in Richmond VA for accounting. My girlfriend and I broke up recently, after planning to move in together. The main reason was the fact that my job will require an incredible amount of time and energy, and she also required too much time and energy right now. I did not think it would be fair to her have us move in and then discover I was too busy.

The problem is, I have not been single since college began. I consider myself to be an attractive person, confident in my future, and that I have plenty to offer. But I feel as if every girl at the school simply walks by me without even a smile. I try to be friendly, maybe it is the fact I do not fit the typical immature frat guy mold at this school? But this really does shatter my confidence, and makes me feel like I will have trouble meeting people when I move into downtown Richmond.

Does anyone here feel like things improve for people in my situation after college? I feel like I am mature enough to meet older people (23-25 range), but I just have zero luck while on a small campus. I tried to sum this up as clearly as possible, but any advice would be great. Thank you for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 02:39 PM

890 posts, read 2,786,428 times
Social life in a college campus is totally different from a social life for working adults.

It's a good time to be with yourself, and learn what you like and dislike.

Take a year or two and pursue your career. Now is the time to decide on financial goals if you haven't set them.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:41 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
You've been in a long term relationship all through college and weren't really looking and now you are at the point of seeing past college and starting your life. In your mind you are already gone. Believe it or not, people can sense things and may or may not respond to you due, in part, to a vibe, almost like dogs can sense or you may, by your own manner have ignored people who actually looking your way because you were already preoccupied with a relationship to notice.

Life after college and your 20's in general is a whole other world than college so, I wouldn't fret much as you will probably date well into your 30's.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:47 PM

Wow, you guys are good!

To Joseph: That was partly my goal of being single, to be able to focus on my career. I have always put other people before me and considered their needs when planning my life. I felt like being single would let me devote my time to helping myself for once.

And to Thursday: You hit the nail on the head. In my mind, I have definitely already gone. I have been ready to graduate for a while, and have been looking forward to the next stage. Thank you, it really helped to hear that.

Thanks again guys, no one has ever described it to me this way, so I am glad people see it the way I do as well

Old 03-29-2010, 02:51 PM

471 posts, read 1,043,068 times
You're in your 20's and out of college. You're just now getting to experience life for the first time in a way for which you've never experienced. I'll say this. It will up, down and all around. Keep your chin up and enjoy the ride. You're about to really learn about yourself.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:35 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,254,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tensors22288 View Post
Hey all,

I am graduating from college in a month and have a full-time job lined up in Richmond VA for accounting. My girlfriend and I broke up recently, after planning to move in together. The main reason was the fact that my job will require an incredible amount of time and energy, and she also required too much time and energy right now. I did not think it would be fair to her have us move in and then discover I was too busy.

The problem is, I have not been single since college began. I consider myself to be an attractive person, confident in my future, and that I have plenty to offer. But I feel as if every girl at the school simply walks by me without even a smile. I try to be friendly, maybe it is the fact I do not fit the typical immature frat guy mold at this school? But this really does shatter my confidence, and makes me feel like I will have trouble meeting people when I move into downtown Richmond.

Does anyone here feel like things improve for people in my situation after college? I feel like I am mature enough to meet older people (23-25 range), but I just have zero luck while on a small campus. I tried to sum this up as clearly as possible, but any advice would be great. Thank you for your time
Hey, you will walk out of there with a degree, right? The rest is a walk in the park. That degree and the fact that you earned it always counts for something. It just takes the right one to acknowledge that and that you would be a great catch! Good luck buddy.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:42 PM

BTW, cool thread title buddy! Here is classic that will bring you some luck! Rugged

YouTube - Cream - Crossroads (1968).mpg

Old 03-29-2010, 03:55 PM

Thank you rugged! feeling luckier already lol

Old 03-29-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you rugged! feeling luckier already lol
Eric Clapton usually has that effect on people!!

Old 03-29-2010, 06:22 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
Quote:
Hey all,

You will definitely be busy as a young associate with an accounting firm, but you are not going to be too busy to have a girlfriend and a life away from work. I think I may be smelling red herring, but nevermind that sh*t...

The short answer is YES, life does get better for people who have worked hard in college and are ready to work hard in life but the rules of attraction don't change. A lack of confidence is still unattractive and timidity still gets you nowhere. Enjoy being out on your own, completely unfettered and without anyone to be accountable to other than yourself. There is a great time out there waiting for you and you really owe it to yourself to live hard while you're single without kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships