Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:09 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,551,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
What?! You didn't know the Sun was made of crystal?That the universe revolved around the earth?That the earth does not rotate?You,my friend,are sadly behind the times then.
Uhhhh no...... Really?

you're pulling my leg.........

right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 07:20 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
She does well. Homeschooling 5 kids - that's going to develop a LOT of patience!
I couldn't do it! Of course I don't agree with homeschooling in general either, but that's just because I have a husband and a mother who have been teachers for years and the stories they tell about formerly homeschooled kids.... yikes!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Dakota View Post
She isn't saying anything offensive.
No, she has a gift for not provoking or being provoked. I admire it. I don't have it.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,577,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
No, she has a gift for not provoking or being provoked. I admire it. I don't have it.
With homeschooling...you can learn it...

Old 07-07-2010, 08:51 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,460,020 times
Quote:
I couldn't do it! Of course I don't agree with homeschooling in general either, but that's just because I have a husband and a mother who have been teachers for years and the stories they tell about formerly homeschooled kids.... yikes!
I know many teachers who homeschooled their own kids rather than send them to be corrupted and dumbed down in the government run system. One man who taught at our local high school and who is a Christian brother told me that his wife quit teaching just to stay home and school their own kids. That is not an isolated story among Christian teachers. His kids are grown, as mine are, and I suspect that he and his wife are both retired by now -but our paths no longer cross, in our rural area.

In national test scores, Home Schooled kids consistently score higher than their government schooled peers, in all areas.

Quote:
13. Statistics also demonstrate that homeschoolers tend to score above the national average on both their SAT and ACT scores.
For example, the 2,219 students reporting their homeschool status on the SAT in 1999 scored an average of 1083 (verbal 548, math 535), 67 points above the national average of 1016. In 2004 the 7,858 homeschool students taking the ACT scored an average of 22.6, compared to the national average of 20.9.
For every bad story about a failed parent who did not actually school their kids when they said they were, there are multiplied thousands more children not being schooled in the government system, which system itself is totally corrupt -even if there are nice teachers in the system.
I think they should all get out, and let the thing fall.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
With homeschooling...you can learn it...
How so?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
My kids would not agree with you! -But bless you anyway.
I was a "modern pioneer" Home School parent, and we learned by trial and error -lots of error!
I had two grandchildren graduate from Home School High School this year. Their parents did much better than I did, but then, we all learned as we went, about what we wanted and what we did not want, and what worked for us, and what did not.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
I know many teachers who homeschooled their own kids rather than send them to be corrupted and dumbed down in the government run system. One man who taught at our local high school and who is a Christian brother told me that his wife quit teaching just to stay home and school their own kids. That is not an isolated story among Christian teachers. His kids are grown, as mine are, and I suspect that he and his wife are both retired by now -but our paths no longer cross, in our rural area.

In national test scores, Home Schooled kids consistently score higher than their government schooled peers, in all areas.

For every bad story about a failed parent who did not actually school their kids when they said they were, there are multiplied thousands more children not being schooled in the government system, which system itself is totally corrupt -even if there are nice teachers in the system.
Ok, now you are provoking me! LOL
That's ok, I know homeschoolers are passionate, I've been around 'em before. I just don't buy it. Sorry!

Old 07-07-2010, 09:07 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,005,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post

I used to quote these same stats in defense of homeschooling.The problem is the stats are not apples to apples.Homeschooling families are invariably more well off.You don't have barrio and ghetto parents home schooling.So you are essentially comparing kids far more likely to do well anyways,whether in public schools or homeschooled, in regards to homeschoolers, to the total mix of great to bad in public schools.If you were to pull out the same demographics of public school kids as the homeschooled kids you would see very similar scores,because the scores of the smart public schooled kids would not be watered down by the kids that don't care and do poorly.

In addition,public schooled kids would actually learn proper science,since the primary aim of homeschooling is to avoid having kids taught things like evolution.Never thought though that the issue of the earth rotating would be a hot button issue though.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Why does every other system observed feature planets that revolve around stars and not vice versa? Why would physical laws apply to all other heavenly bodies but not ours?
Planets/ wanderers are also called stars. The Earth is not a wanderer/planet, and the sun is not a star, biblically speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality