Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 08:51 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,893,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Maybe that's a problem if you can't figure that out. Maybe that's an illustration of the issue.
Come on, Viz, quit copping out. You made the assertion, now back it up with evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 08:53 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,608,117 times
Quote:
Maybe that's a problem if you can't figure that out. Maybe that's an illustration of the issue.
So to translate;

I cannot show any credible source of the claim I made so I'm going to attac the person asking.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:56 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
So to translate;

I cannot show any credible source of the claim I made so I'm going to attac the person asking.
He learned how to be slippery from his oily master, Mr. Slick. I think the dishonesty comes naturally, though.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:00 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
So to translate;

I think the person that says there is no anti-religious bias and that there is no violation of First Amendment rights is extremely naive.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I think the person that says there is no anti-religious bias and that there is no violation of First Amendment rights is extremely naive.
Well, then, how exactly is the FFRF preventing you from being a Christian? From practicing Christianity? That was the original question, after all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
So, are you or are you not going to tell us what Constitutional rights are being taken away from you because you are a Christian?

Old 11-14-2016, 09:04 AM

1,333 posts, read 884,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Come on, Viz, quit copping out. You made the assertion, now back it up with evidence.
I can't say it was terribly difficult for me to find a link or two on students getting in trouble for reading their Bible in class and such. This is absolutely not evidence of a trend; but the question asked of Vizio required about 1 minute to Google on your own.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
I can't say it was terribly difficult for me to find a link or two on students getting in trouble for reading their Bible in class and such. This is absolutely not evidence of a trend; but the question asked of Vizio required about 1 minute to Google on your own.
So, he's off the hook for making the claim? The burden of proof is not on me. I did not claim that my First Amendment rights were being abridged, nor did I reply with 'google it' in lieu of a proper qualitative response.

I did, as it happens, Google the issue. The first result was about a young man who was punished for reading a Bible during his class's 'free reading' time; I will freely admit that the school handled the matter rather badly, but that's hardly indicative of 'being prevented from practicing a religion'.

By the above logic, I could reasonably claim that my freedom of speech was abridged because I wasn't allowed to listen to the radio.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:48 AM

1,333 posts, read 884,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
So, he's off the hook for making the claim? The burden of proof is not on me. I did not claim that my First Amendment rights were being abridged, nor did I reply with 'google it' in lieu of a proper qualitative response.

I did, as it happens, Google the issue. The first result was about a young man who was punished for reading a Bible during his class's 'free reading' time; I will freely admit that the school handled the matter rather badly, but that's hardly indicative of 'being prevented from practicing a religion'.

By the above logic, I could reasonably claim that my freedom of speech was abridged because I wasn't allowed to listen to the radio.
As I said, this isn't indicative of an overall problem. I think we agree on that. The claim that these events happen can be supported and as Vizio said, it doesn't take a lot of searching to find that. That was the claim that Vizio was asked to defend.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:14 PM

4,765 posts, read 1,996,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You said: "We just want to be treated as equal."and "we just want our rights."

It seems to me that, in society in general, Christianity is the tacitly accepted default position. When they have an invocation before a public meeting or event, 99% of the time it will be done by a Christian, with mention of God, and probably Jesus. Instead of asking someone if they are religious, the normal question to ask is "What church do you go to?" In other words, it seems that, generally in American society, that Christianity is treated as more than equal. Please explain how you think Christianity is treated as less than equal to the small minority of non-Christian society. Then you can explain what Constitutional rights Christians have had taken away. Is it freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom of the press, the right to bear arms, illegal search or seizure, being forced to testify against oneself, forced to quarter soldiers in your home, or practice your religion as you see fit (in your own home, church, or on any private property anywhere)? You said "we just want our rights." Which rights are being taken away?

The freedom to exercise my religion as is I see fit. If my religion objects of homosexuality, I should have the right not to rent my apartment to them. That right was taken away from a Christians couple in California several years ago.

Here are 18 more examples.

www.rightsidenews.com/.../18-examples-of-how-christians-are-being-specifically-targ...

Old 11-14-2016, 02:26 PM

4,765 posts, read 1,996,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I would doubt that. I have read the Bible, cover to cover, and I am an atheist.

I would doubt that your "interpretations" or beliefs about it would change my perceptions of life.
Some atheist do read the Bible, but most don't. Did you read it to find truth or error? Non-believers may read it but they can't understand it(I Cor 2:14).

My goal would not be to change your mind. I Can't do that, only God can. It would be to try and give a rational why I believe. what I believe.

I was converted after I had decided never to go to church again. So never say it can't happen to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality