Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 03:57 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,871,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Not only do I invite them in to discuss our differences, I have 2 Mormons coming ever week and I feed them supper first.

How did you determine that the ones who started wars were Christians? That is not something the Bible teaches us to do.
I don't care who starts them- its like the sound of one hand clapping-- and i didn't specify Christians-- I said organized religions (of which Christianity is not actually the majority btw)...
hatred, suspicion, and violence due to religious prohibitions and religious differences are a PROBLEM In the world-

PS I thought that Jimmy Carter was a fine example of a man true to his faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 04:22 PM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You said: "We just want to be treated as equal."and "we just want our rights."

It seems to me that, in society in general, Christianity is the tacitly accepted default position. When they have an invocation before a public meeting or event, 99% of the time it will be done by a Christian, with mention of God, and probably Jesus. Instead of asking someone if they are religious, the normal question to ask is "What church do you go to?" In other words, it seems that, generally in American society, that Christianity is treated as more than equal. Please explain how you think Christianity is treated as less than equal to the small minority of non-Christian society. Then you can explain what Constitutional rights Christians have had taken away. Is it freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom of the press, the right to bear arms, illegal search or seizure, being forced to testify against oneself, forced to quarter soldiers in your home, or practice your religion as you see fit (in your own home, church, or on any private property anywhere)? You said "we just want our rights." Which rights are being taken away?
Quote:
The freedom to exercise my religion as is I see fit. If my religion objects of homosexuality, I should have the right not to rent my apartment to them. That right was taken away from a Christians couple in California several years ago.

Here are 18 more examples.

www.rightsidenews.com/.../18-examples-of-how-christians-are-being-specifically-targ...
Your link doesn't work. Even though you posted it 3 or 4 times, it still doesn't work.

Vizio's post had to do with Christians having their rights taken away from them. I asked which rights were taken away for being Christian, not whether some Christians had done something that got the attention of the authorities. Now what function of the exercise of your religion has been taken away? Are you forbidden from attending services? Are you forbidden from wearing appropriate religious garments at appropriate times? Has your holy book been banned? Is somebody trying to prevent you from believing whatever you want to believe? Have you been prevented from praying in any way that is defining of your religion?

Old 11-14-2016, 04:57 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Not only do I invite them in to discuss our differences, I have 2 Mormons coming ever week and I feed them supper first.
May I ask what exactly it is that you're trying to accomplish? From everything I've seen you post pertaining to Mormonism, you've got some extremely negative biases towards the Church. If these Mormon missionaries knew how antagonistic your view of them really is, I bet they'd skip the dinner and find someone else to teach. If you are in any way, shape or form leading them on, you ought to be ashamed.

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-14-2016 at 06:09 PM..

Old 11-14-2016, 08:41 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,639,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
we dropped not a single bomb while he was potus.

he invented HforH or something

Old 11-14-2016, 11:52 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,093,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
This thought crossed my mind recently and it amused me. Could you imagine if non believing groups went doorknocking to try and deconvert Christians? Handing out tracts and little magazines. Do you think they'd be angry? I'm not sure. Some probably would be. Others would like the challenge. And there would be a few quacks that would protest and try to have "laws passed" to stop it. When I was in church I NEVER one time went on those silly doorknocking trips. I was to embarrassed. I mean how obnoxious!

Just as a side note, one of my relatives posted on her facebook page recently that she was awoken by her dog barking at 4 in the morning by a doorknocker putting church flyers and tracts in her screen door. Wow.
What are you going to say after you knock at a door and it opens up?

"HEY !! I GOT A NEWS FOR YOU. THERE IS NO GOD !!!"

Old 11-15-2016, 12:21 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's definitely a valid comparison. The occasional doorknocker can be dealt with and he leaves. On the other hand, an internet troll can dominate a discussion board indefinitely.
So not only did you not rebut any of the reasons why I said it was NOT a valid comparison.... you added what you see as another DIFFERENCE between the two in order to validate the comparison? How does that even remotely make sense to you?

That said, forums, unlike real life..... has an ignore feature. And moderators. Both of which usually come into play in the nonsense scenario you imagined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Google it.
Ah yes, the old "google it yourself" move people make when they are caught making an assertion they have NO back up for.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:44 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
I know a guy who is a very 'evangelical' libertarian. Should politics get mentioned, he'll argue about religion too, but he's just a fervent about politics. Most people will eventually decide that live and let live works, but he'd only quit when everyone had to leave. Our crowd was often non christan, with plenty of pagan and just spiritual people. He'd argue with people who were just spiritual. If I was a door knocker and he was home, I think I'd be so glad to get away I'd never even try the street.

So its not just the fundies, but their opposite sorts, and what they share is this odd need that everyone agree with them.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:05 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,608,117 times
Page not found.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:54 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,996,958 times
Quote:
I don't care who starts them- its like the sound of one hand clapping-- and i didn't specify Christians-- I said organized religions (of which Christianity is not actually the majority btw)...
hatred, suspicion, and violence due to religious prohibitions and religious differences are a PROBLEM In the world-
You should care or you might be accusing the wrong group. Maybe that is not important to you. You may not have have said Christian specifically, but they are an organized religious group and you did not exclude them

Quote:
Did you know Jimmy Carter's church would not allow blacks to worship with them? If my church ever did that, I would immediately find another church.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:56 AM

1,333 posts, read 884,194 times
Quote:
(of which Christianity is not actually the majority btw)....
Who's the majority then? o.O

Unless you're insinuating that Christianity is not organized, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality