Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 08:34 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
you're mormon?
Guilty as charged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 08:59 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
you're mormon?
You should be working for Scotland Yard.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
You should be working for Scotland Yard.
LOL!

Old 11-17-2016, 09:57 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,327,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And that court order violated her freedom of religion. It forced her to violate her moral beliefs or be fired. That's WRONG!!

Your side just REFUSES to see a conflict of laws here, but hey it's perfectly fine whenever the laws swing your way.
No ... what's WRONG is her using her religious beliefs as a roadblock against others who wish to legally marry their same-sex partners.

Of course you would fail to see the fascistic intent here and cheer for anyone exercising their "freedom of religion" by denying the same to others.

I'm also very weary of people like you who seem to think that "freedom of religion" is infinite and boundless. All one has to do is proclaim that "it's against my religion!" and the rest of society has to scramble to placate the whiner -- even to the point where they no longer have to obey the law, even to the point where everyone else must obey the dictates of that particular religious view regardless of their own beliefs.

Ergo, you would naturally expect the court of that county to rearrange everything around this one person's religious belief system. Those who aren't utterly blinded by their extremist religious views would expect that a person who can no longer perform her duties of her station because of a religious conflict would resign.

Instead, she chose to use her religion as a weapon against those attempting to obtain a marriage license for a same-sex marriage. She deliberately held her position within the court and refused to obey the law; she KNEW that, in so doing, she was willfully acting as a monkey wrench in the gears of the system.

If she wants to practice her religion, she is still free to do so. No one said that she must welcome and embrace same-sex marriage; no one held a gun to her head and demanded that she issue same-sex marriage licenses. If her religious convictions were so tightly held (which I doubt they were) that she could not perform the duties of her job, she has two choices: 1) quit or 2) stay and do her job regardless of her religion.

There is no choice 3 ... which is the choice you want her to have: The ability to refuse to do her job and still KEEP her job, thus forcing her religion onto everyone else. "You MUST respect my religious views and obey my religious rules while you are in my presence. YOUR religious views don't matter."

If we allow all of these religious exemptions, people all over the place will cry "religious freedom!" to weasel out of work they don't want to do -- for whatever reason. "I refuse to mop that floor because the Bible says ..." And then they ramble off some bizarrely translated verse that intimates physical contact with dirt makes one spiritually unclean or some other bit of fortune cookie nonsense.

The more our society coddles people like Kim Davis, the more people are going to expect exemptions and special dispensations for their religious beliefs -- and that is just an oblique way of ushering in theocratic fascism through the back door.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:21 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,996,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
LOL!

My irony meter broke again.
I guess that is because you don't understand irony and your meter knows that.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:25 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,996,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Guilty as charged.
Those 2 Mormon men are coming by today. I will present your offer, but IMO, it would be better if you sent me an email with your phone number and if they want to call you they can.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:57 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
28 US Code s 951 - Oath of office of clerks and deputies:

So, not only did she break her oath, she broke an oath she took before her God.

So, quote for me the portion of the Bible that says 'Thou shalt not be fired for not following the rules of your workplace'.
And every day other elected officials refuse to obey the law, but they don't have the court telling them to do so or go to jail. She is no different.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Those 2 Mormon men are coming by today. I will present your offer, but IMO, it would be better if you sent me an email with your phone number and if they want to call you they can.
Nah... I'm not sending you my phone number, Omega. Enjoy your dinner and pass on my offer.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:25 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Nah... I'm not sending you my phone number, Omega. Enjoy your dinner and pass on my offer.
just a thought...but if you have a smartphone, you could get an app to give you a temporary phone # on it to send/receive texts.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Amazing that you seem to know enough to make statements of motive about others, though.
Not really. I grew up in a community that had a lot of Mormons and learned, by having many Mormon friends, a lot about their faith. Plus, I read Katzpur's posts and have learned even more about what the LDS actually believe. You should try it. You could learn a lot from her. You would learn what the LDS believe.....not what the aptly-named Slick says they believe.

Spotting anti-Mormon prejudice isn't particularly difficult. Unfortunately it's pretty common among evangelical Christians. The aptly-named Slick is a lousy source of information about the LDS faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality