Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:09 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,258,260 times

Advertisements

They would have nothing to sell that is readily available to every soul.
I mean everything in this world in the flesh is either good for the eyes, good to the touch, good to the taste, good to the ears, good to the smell except what is not of this world.......Godliness.

Now there, Godliness, can be a hard sell in a world filled with vanity.

Blessings, AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 05:17 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,711,177 times
I don't think most believers go door to door. There may be a few remaining who do so, but it has never been a part of most denominations to knock on doors. The only I've ever had (and it has been 20 years ago, probably) were the Jehovah's Witnesses and The Seventh Day Adventists.

We were always polite to door to door preachers/teachers because they meant well and there is no justifiable reason to be rude to anyone, ever. It's as easy to politely decline or not answer your door as to be irritated or angry.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:19 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I don't think most believers go door to door. There may be a few remaining who do so, but it has never been a part of most denominations to knock on doors. The only I've ever had (and it has been 20 years ago, probably) were the Jehovah's Witnesses and The Seventh Day Adventists.

We were always polite to door to door preachers/teachers because they meant well and there is no justifiable reason to be rude to anyone, ever. It's as easy to politely decline or not answer your door as to be irritated or angry.
When I first came to R&S and saw a lot of references by atheists to the supposed annoyance of Christians coming around all the time to knock on doors, I rolled my eyes. I've never had anyone but JWs knock on my door, and I can count on one hand the number of times that had happened. It sounded like an exaggeration to me.

After a while, I came to realize that this is pretty much a regional thing. I've lived in New Jersey all my life, and that's not really done here, probably because a) we are so diverse religion-wise and saying that you are an atheist will merely get you a shrug, and b) the Christians who ARE here are mostly not of the type who traditionally would do the door-to-door bit in the first place.

So, it happens, but it's generally confined to certain regions of the country.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:10 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
This thought crossed my mind recently and it amused me. Could you imagine if non believing groups went doorknocking to try and deconvert Christians? Handing out tracts and little magazines. Do you think they'd be angry? I'm not sure. Some probably would be. Others would like the challenge. And there would be a few quacks that would protest and try to have "laws passed" to stop it. When I was in church I NEVER one time went on those silly doorknocking trips. I was to embarrassed. I mean how obnoxious!

Just as a side note, one of my relatives posted on her facebook page recently that she was awoken by her dog barking at 4 in the morning by a doorknocker putting church flyers and tracts in her screen door. Wow.
You'd end up converted to theism.
Atheists are too afraid to try it.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:44 AM

Usually, If one has a good product to sell that one truly believes in, than a door to door knocking is an option.

Today's electronic market pretty much killed that option.

I believe that City Data forms is a great opportunity to reach out to a world of people of diverse beliefs by simply presenting ones opinion on any given subject ......respectful and sensitive to others opposing opinions.

I've learned over my life years that God loves every soul He purchased and I should respect and honor that.
If you are a Christian you know what I am talking about.

I knock at your door by each response and let the Spirit of God move as He pleases.

Blessings, AJ

Old 02-22-2018, 01:43 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,711,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Usually, If one has a good product to sell that one truly believes in, than a door to door knocking is an option.

Today's electronic market pretty much killed that option.

I believe that City Data forms is a great opportunity to reach out to a world of people of diverse beliefs by simply presenting ones opinion on any given subject ......respectful and sensitive to others opposing opinions.

I've learned over my life years that God loves every soul He purchased and I should respect and honor that.
If you are a Christian you know what I am talking about.

I knock at your door by each response and let the Spirit of God move as He pleases.

Blessings, AJ
AJ, I had meant to tell you I am glad you are posting. I know you have at times (like most of us) gone missing for personal reasons. (I was formerly called Heartsong). You've always been a light and good spirited part of this forum for which I am grateful.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:41 AM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Oh those straw man atheists.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:24 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
TRY it? I did that for 30 years. I think that qualifies as "not too afraid to try it".

You guys are hilarious. Always inventing stereotypes out of thin air, constantly forgetting most of us are deconverts and perfectly ordinary people next door in real life, often now our Bible better than many believers, etc.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:40 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
AJ, I had meant to tell you I am glad you are posting. I know you have at times (like most of us) gone missing for personal reasons. (I was formerly called Heartsong). You've always been a light and good spirited part of this forum for which I am grateful.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:14 PM

Sometimes one has to take a break from postings because the promptings are not there.

I appreciate the encouraging words from some of you and likewise, hope that you all may continue to express your love for God any way you deem right.

God, is my understanding is not a respecter of persons, but rather sees the soul of which it is and thereby makes His judgments on it.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing that mankind can do that God can not forgive. That is Grace friends.

Blessings, AJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality