Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 08:02 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,988,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
It doesn't say that snakes did not ALWAYS crawl on their bellies as you claimed when you said..........

"The Bible tells us snakes did not always crawl on their belly."

It could just as easily mean that snakes always crawled on their bellies but your god had a plan for them not to do so some time in the future but because of what the snake did (allegedly), your god condemned it to continue crawling on it's belly as it had always done. Your claim that.........

"The Bible tells us snakes did not always crawl on their belly."

........is completely false, just like most of your other nonsense.

The reading is clear here. God cursed the snake and then stated. (YOU WILL) crawl on your belly. It is pretty obvious, this was not an activity the snake was use to doing. Suggesting they always crawled on their belly is assumption that is not supported by the Text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,898,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
The reading is clear here. God cursed the snake and then stated. (YOU WILL) crawl on your belly. It is pretty obvious, this was not an activity the snake was use to doing.
No, no old beast. What is obvious is that you made a claim that the Bible says that snakes walked when clearly, it doesn't.

Example.
I am a manual worker and my boss intends to make me a manager.... but I do something wrong so he says "you will remain a manual worker for the rest of your time here." Does that mean that I was once in management but have now been demoted?

Quote:
Suggesting they always crawled on their belly is assumption that is not supported by the Text.
...and suggesting that the Bible snake walked is not supported by the text either.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:17 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,658,987 times
Quote:
The story was written some 3,000 years ago. Yet the account itself is much older. And if the Bilbe tells us that snakes did not always crawl. And science is confirming snakes from the past had legs. I would say that goes a long way in helping support the Biblical account. Only a foolish man would ignore that kind of evidence.
That's a far cry from declaring that snakes could walk around upright, not to mention talk. Going back to the main point of the thread:
- How many legs does the fossilized snake show? To be honest, I can only see one, and that was because it was pointed out.
- Do you think the fossilized snake had the ability to walk upright, or even walk at all?

Old 12-01-2010, 10:12 AM

10 posts, read 9,000 times
Hey Campbell34, any chance you would reply to the questions in my post?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:57 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,591,285 times
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that makes it difficult to tell the difference between real and unreal experiences, to think logically, to have normal emotional responses, and to behave normally in social situations.

Symptoms:
  • An appearance or mood that shows no emotion (flat affect)
  • Bizarre motor behavior in which there is less reaction to the environment (catatonic behavior)
  • False beliefs or thoughts that have nothing to do with reality (delusions)
  • Hearing, seeing, or feeling things that are not there (hallucinations)
  • Thoughts "jump" between unrelated topics (disordered thinking)
https://health.google.com/health/ref/Schizophrenia

Old 12-01-2010, 06:08 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,881,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that makes it difficult to tell the difference between real and unreal experiences, to think logically, to have normal emotional responses, and to behave normally in social situations.

Symptoms:
  • An appearance or mood that shows no emotion (flat affect)
  • Bizarre motor behavior in which there is less reaction to the environment (catatonic behavior)
  • False beliefs or thoughts that have nothing to do with reality (delusions)
  • Hearing, seeing, or feeling things that are not there (hallucinations)
  • Thoughts "jump" between unrelated topics (disordered thinking)
https://health.google.com/health/ref/Schizophrenia

Old 12-03-2010, 07:15 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,946,042 times
Default I think I know hat's going to happen here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam03 View Post
The amount of self-made contradictions you're willing to be deluded with, is absolutely mind-boggling and it hurt my head so much reading it, that I had to get on here (despite all the evidence shown against you) pointing you to some other glaring discrepancies you chose to ignore.
Here are some bonus questions I'd like to know, if you have the time:

1. Why would your god create nostrils on snakes but have them use their tongues to smell?
2. How do water-snakes survive underwater? I mean, where's the dust they so need, according to you?
3. If snakes eat dirt and dust, what is the rationale behind other creatures (chimpanzees, elephants, bats, parrots, worms etc.) who eat dirt (real dirt)? Why are they condemned and where in the bible is it?

God's voice intoned from the sky: "I condemn you to walk the land, but need water, and have to take it up via a very implausible trunk apparatus, and then you'll get too hot, so you'll have to spray yourself with that same dirt-and mud-contaminated trunk, by which you shall also use to eat...."

(God's plan for the elephant, which was obviously also "cursed" (since we're makin' stuff up willy-nilly now..). The biblical authors just didn't have any knowledge of the elephant, so they didn't get to make up wild tales about it!)

4. Snakes aren't the only creatures who stick their tongues out to smell, some lizards do too. So, tell me Campbell34, where in the garden of eden was the Komodo Dragon? And, whose apples did he bite?
As well, ever seen your cat or dog "taste" the air, sam? Mine do all the time. After all, our buccal cavities are lined with various sensory organs. In the case of C34, the ones that smell a rat are also pinging purty good right now!

Quote:
The fossil shows a snake with rear legs. THOSE ARE THE FACTS.

What, you believe this research hook, line & sinker, completely, why now? Because world-wide scientists, who globally agree with your every determination, made that decision?

Oh.

Well then, that 92M age must also be pretty reliable and correct too, huh? Or is just that part assumptive? Danged unreliable, lying, biased scientists. Oh wait... No. I'm confused. Or maybe it's you?

The Bible stated that snakes did not always crawl on their belly. THAT IS A FACT AS WELL.

Actually, lizards and snakes don't "crawl" as you do. They move as Evolution has adapted them to, and quite efficiently at that. Places them close to the ground for their obviously well-Evolved role as interceptors, predators and sneak-thieves. You'd see that if you'd open your eyes.

Only in recent times has fossil evidence revealed that snakes once had legs.

Wrong. As usual. My first evolutionary biology courses were back in, oh about 1974, and the book used was at least 18 years old, by THE established author on adaptation and evolution, Dr. R.M.S.F. Sadleir who actually became a good friend of mine. Look him up.. total years, and he was certainly NOT the first to summarize the evolution of snakes. His was just the summation of information well known 45 years ago.

The reproduction of vertebrates by Richard M. F. S. Sadleir (Used, New, Out-of-Print) - Alibris

(feel free to learn something useful for a change, Tom. Hey; yah want this one for Christmas?)

But as usual, you make stuff up. Proven yet again. I'm educated on this stuff; you are not. Nonetheless, I guess I'm the ignorant liar here, huh?

Now if you want to ignore those facts. Then you must ignore both science, and the Bible. Because science and the Bible are both telling us the same thing.

And what is that again? Just what is it you're reading into this information?

The assumption of time, is not the question. The real question here is. Is there evidence that would suggest that snakes did not always crawl on their belly?
Wrong. As usual. you're retreating here, full-tilt backwards crawling. This finding only shows that we've found another adapted/evolving reptile back 92M years ago.

(BTW: I had no idea you could move like that, Tom!)

The determination of time is accurate here, and that alone disproves the bible's story. all of it. didn't happen, and you know it, which leads to my new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
The bible also says that men eventually die when nailed to a cross... so that must mean water can be turned into wine by MAGIC!

It is useless to argue such a childish argument to those who are rational thinkers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Yes. And you never answered my question.

Do snakes talk?

Quote:
Ahem, Campbell,

Do snakes talk?

Quote:
Yoo hoo, Campbell...

I know you are online. You just posted a couple of minutes ago.

Do snakes talk?

Quote:
I have personally heard the voice of God speak to me out of thin air. Ghost hunters display strange voices on their recorders. And those voices often answer questions put to them. I personally believe that in the garden, Eve was able to communicate with the Serpent.

Of course 50 years ago if someone had asked if snakes once had legs. They would of been laught at. However today we know that some did.

Quote:
And I was taught that snakes once had legs over 40 years ago. But you apparently weren't.

But, do they talk?

Quote:
Oh please, Campbell, tell me. You still have not answered the question.

Do snakes talk?

Quote:
Deafening silence from Tom Campbell regarding my question.

That's pretty telling, folks.

I'd suggest to everyone that you simply ask the most plainly obvious questions from now on. That is, if you even desire a response. It's clear you should not use any arguments that involve reason, proof or (gasp!) the scientific method.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." - Plato
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam03 View Post
Hey Campbell34, any chance you would reply to the questions in my post?

The pattern here is obvious. A blatant and lasting disrespect for others and their education and logic.

BTW, sam03: get VERY used to tom's reticence. The entire debate about biblical accuracy, in fact, it's very value as an historical document and of God's Great Accomplishments, would be put to bed once and for all if Christians would or could allow themselves into an intellectually honest debate.

After all, about 98.8% of all the various fantastic "events" that the bible claims were of God's doing have since been far better explained by simple, logical, reproducible research. Done under a well-developed system called "science" that minimalizes doubt, fakery and bias, and which is then subjected to the most rigorous review. I note that it's ALWAYS the scientific community that discovers fakery within it' own system. Makes it all that much more believable, huh?

Tom however knows better than all that, or Simply and Selectively disregards it for obvious personal reasons.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:01 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,150,434 times
A funny thing happened yesterday. I was were I am now reading people's post on this thread and posts on other threads. Little did I know that my ten year old son was also reading over my shoulder. He then asked me this question. "Why do you and some of the others fight with silly people?" "It's like arguing with Mom when she thinks she's right" "No matter what you say or show her she wont budge. I told him "No son it far worse than that" "For Mom it's just stubborn pride not delusion." Though may son is pretty wise for 10.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:09 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,988,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
No, no old beast. What is obvious is that you made a claim that the Bible says that snakes walked when clearly, it doesn't.

Example.
I am a manual worker and my boss intends to make me a manager.... but I do something wrong so he says "you will remain a manual worker for the rest of your time here." Does that mean that I was once in management but have now been demoted?

...and suggesting that the Bible snake walked is not supported by the text either.

Look at what you just wrote. "You will (REMAIN) a manual worker.

In Scripture you will not find the world (REMAIN).

And this is how you guys error. You do so by assuming there are words found in a verse that would aid your cause. But no such wording exist.

No, God cursed the snake and said. (YOU WILL CRAWL ON YOUR BELLY). And it clearly states this event was now a curse placed on the snake. This was somthing different from what the snake was use to doing in the past. A child could understand this. And now that we have fossils showing that in fact snakes in the past had legs. This only helps to support what was stated in Genesis.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 AM

33,603 posts, read 37,245,373 times
But, but, but....Do snakes talk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality