Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 11:11 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
"Oh......Oh!..........Me!......Me!......Pick ME!......I know the answer!"

The David C. Cook comics

...or this wondrous swill:

Sunday School Lesson Plans

Sigh.....

(*D&C: Duck and Cover...)

Well, has anyone ever heard the term ad-lib. Naturally I often make statements in my own words that pretty much match the wording found in the Scripture. Now your complaint was that my words stated. (FROM THIS TIME ON).

However if you look at the New Living Translation we find the words. (ALL THE DAYS OF YOUR LIFE.) Which I believe pretty much match my ad-lib words. I'm sorry if my words confused you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
And yet we have snakes with limbs today as well. All with "no evolvin' allowed!" no less. Seems god missed a few, huh?

As usual, you completely ignore the obvious: the structural physiology of crawling lizards [i.e.: sideways facing, side-swinging limbs, well adapted to their evolved form of locomotion] would NOT ever allow them to walk upright. It's like I said before Tom: Seals have limbs too: so.... do they also walk upright? Can penguins fly through the air on their obvious wings? Is anything in your imaginary world adapted to anything specific?

Your grossly illiterate but convenient re-interpretations are certainly entertaining, but just realize that they only make you look more the uneducated fool.jkm

That's OK: I realize you've learned to "duck and cover" whenever The Truth Bomb goes off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2kdpAGDu8s

"Yeah, Tom! Come on out and meet all the nice people! After all, The Truth Bomb might be used against you!"

Well as you very well know rifleman. We are talking about a Serpent, and not a crawling lizard. And no matter how hard you try. Your imaginary evolution does not play into the Biblical account. And if I recall, most snakes are still crawling on their belly. And I to believe that you are grossly illiterate when it comes to the God of the Bible. Yet I will not hold that against you. I will just scratch that off to human ignorance.LOL

Old 12-11-2010, 12:25 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well God tells us the rain falls on the just and the unjust alike. It just so happens the Serpent had a special connection between God and the fall of man. And God pointed this out to us. The Bible is not a Book about sea life. It is a Book about God's interaction between Himself and the people of earth.
Uh-oh! Campbell now you're using the term "Serpent"? Are you sure "serpent" must always mean a "snake"? Regardless, although you're right that it's not a book about sea life, it's not a book about reptilian life either. But it does contain comments about reptiles. It also contains comments about sea life. Have you forgotten the story about Jonah and the... WHALE? How's that for a "special connection"? It also talks about people catching fish, the story about the multiple fish and loaves, etc. People of earth were involved in those accounts too.

The problem is that you're completely obsessed with the idea of upright walking snakes, and your proof is a fossil that shows a snake with tiny legs and feet. There's not a single statement in the Bible that states snakes ever walked upright. Rather your claims are based on imaginary speculation. If snakes were so cursed to lose their legs and "forever crawl on his belly", then why are some occasionally (albeit rare) found with legs and feet today? What about sea snakes? Do they crawl on land and "eat" dust. The fossil record shows that whales were able to walk on land. If we are to go by your line of reasoning, then I ask once again, were whales and dolphins cursed as well?

Old 12-11-2010, 12:25 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Well, has anyone ever heard the term ad-lib. Naturally I often make statements in my own words that pretty much match the wording found in the Scripture. Now your complaint was that my words stated. (FROM THIS TIME ON).

However if you look at the New Living Translation we find the words. (ALL THE DAYS OF YOUR LIFE.) Which I believe pretty much match my ad-lib words. I'm sorry if my words confused you.
You may well 'believe' that old beast but the fact remains that what you claimed just wasn't true. The words 'from now on' do not appear. You made it up to suit your belief. "All the days of your life" does nothing to indicate that the serpents circumstances had changed. It could just as well mean...

'You will crawl on your belly all the days of your life...as you always have done."

Old 12-11-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Uh-oh! Campbell now you're using the term "Serpent"? Are you sure "serpent" must always mean a "snake"? Regardless, although you're right that it's not a book about sea life, it's not a book about reptilian life either. But it does contain comments about reptiles. It also contains comments about sea life. Have you forgotten the story about Jonah and the... WHALE? How's that for a "special connection"? It also talks about people catching fish, the story about the multiple fish and loaves, etc. People of earth were involved in those accounts too.

The problem is that you're completely obsessed with the idea of upright walking snakes, and your proof is a fossil that shows a snake with tiny legs and feet. There's not a single statement in the Bible that states snakes ever walked upright. Rather your claims are based on imaginary speculation. If snakes were so cursed to lose their legs and "forever crawl on his belly", then why are some occasionally (albeit rare) found with legs and feet today? What about sea snakes? Do they crawl on land and "eat" dust. The fossil record shows that whales were able to walk on land. If we are to go by your line of reasoning, then I ask once again, were whales and dolphins cursed as well?

One could claim imaginary speculation. However that is a term I believe best reserved for evolution. The fact is evolution does not have an authoritative book thousands of years old that would suggest it ever happened. Where as the Bible does say snakes would now crawl on their belly, and fossil evidence now show us snakes from the past sporting legs. Now it maybe other fossils discoveries will show us snakes with more advanced legs. Yet this we do know. Scripture tells us there was a time that snakes did not crawl on their belly, and we have fossil evidence showing ancient snakes with legs. Your fossil record that would suggest that whales walked on land is far more about speculation then fact. Even the Biblical account of the Serpent has more fact then whale evolution.
The Biblical Text adressed the Serpent, not whales or dolphins.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You may well 'believe' that old beast but the fact remains that what you claimed just wasn't true. The words 'from now on' do not appear. You made it up to suit your belief. "All the days of your life" does nothing to indicate that the serpents circumstances had changed. It could just as well mean...

'You will crawl on your belly all the days of your life...as you always have done."

(As you always have done,) is not found in the Scripture. And you forgot to mention that God cursed the serpent and then said. You will crawl on your belly all the days of your life. It should be obvious to even the simplest person. That crawling on his belly was something he was not use to doing. Suggesting that God said you will crawl on your belly as you have always done would not be a curse at all. It would confirm to the snake that life will go on as normal. So where is the curse?

Old 12-11-2010, 01:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Well in my personal experiences I have discovered God has never led me in the wrong direction. When God told me my wife was going to have a child. I discovered his statement was true about three or four hours later. And I knew my wife was pregnant even before my wife knew. And when God told me to pray for a job. I got one as soon as I said the (A) of Amen, and I was still on my knees. God has given me so much proof for his reality over the years, that I don't doubt him anymore. Non Christians only have their personal opinions. And personal opinions are often wrong. When one considers the stories found in the Bible. Often such accounts are backed up by historical discovery. And such discoveries are ignored by non believers if for no other reason, then their desire not to believe.
It takes a huge amount of arrogance to believe that an all powerful god is acting like your hand servant, telling you things (I assume you remember having sex with your wife, that is what causes it your know) or getting you a job (don't you think that is YOUR task).

You are correct, personal opinions can be wrong, but I give much more credence to a "personal opinion" based on thought, reason, and evidence than a "personal opinion" based on blind and thoughtless acceptance of outrageous fairy tales.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It takes a huge amount of arrogance to believe that an all powerful god is acting like your hand servant, telling you things (I assume you remember having sex with your wife, that is what causes it your know) or getting you a job (don't you think that is YOUR task).

You are correct, personal opinions can be wrong, but I give much more credence to a "personal opinion" based on thought, reason, and evidence than a "personal opinion" based on blind and thoughtless acceptance of outrageous fairy tales.

Actually we are getting off topic here. However it does not take any arrogance on my part to believe that God revealed something to me hours before my wife found out. Or God getting me a job after he reminded me in a voice that I did everything about getting a job but pray. And when I prayed and said Amen. I got the job that very second. For me all it takes is to speak the truth. And that truth really goes against the grain of non believers. And there was nothing outrageous about what occured. It was simply God giving a gift to someone who loves Him.

However, we really need to stay on the Serpent in the garden, and the fossil find.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

1. No, only someone really desperate would try to say that someone ad-libbing was trying to decieve.

2. Again, if you want to point the finger for my ad-libbing so be it. Yet what I stated is pretty much what the Scripture said.

3. You adding the words, (as you always have done). Are words that don't even come close to what is found in the Scripture. They are fabricated, and they are based on your make believe account.

4. Again, (THE WORDS ALL THE DAYS OF YOUR LIFE) And my ad-lib words do not change the meaning. (FROM NOW ON).

Your words have nothing to do with Scripture. They do not agree with anything stated.

And you did not answer my last question. If God is telling the serpent that life for him will go on as usual. What was the curse placed on him by God?

Last edited by Campbell34; 12-11-2010 at 04:19 PM..

Old 12-11-2010, 04:47 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Oye Vey! Talking snakes and whales!

Quote:
Well as you very well know rifleman. We are talking about a Serpent, and not a crawling lizard. And no matter how hard you try. Your imaginary evolution does not play into the Biblical account. And if I recall, most snakes are still crawling on their belly. And I to believe that you are grossly illiterate when it comes to the God of the Bible. Yet I will not hold that against you. I will just scratch that off to human ignorance.LOL
Of course, no-one capable of rational and objective observation, and capable of accepting their own possible errors in thinking, coupled with even a morsel of thought, now claims that Evolution is a lie or fabrication. That part's so easily proven it's humorous to see you in full-fledged denial. and yet you do, in contrast to, say, The Pope, who is, by all Christian accounts, God's absolute voice here on Earth. He accepts Evolution.

OMG, huh? So now you're more intelligent and knowledgeable than the Pope, yep.

Again, the discovery of some limbed snake that is, BTW, objectively proven to be, at the very least, well into the tens of millions of years old (certainly not just 6000 to 12,000, or even a wildly underestimated, say, 40,000 years old. Nope! The number is a conservative 92M years of age!) Such silly numbers would be out by several orders of magnitude [oh oh; sorry... look that phrase up as well, else you'll misquote it too] ,even if we stack up, over-exaggerate, double or triple up known, accepted and stated conservative error rates on the various independent dating methods used to age the geology the snake was found in.

So,
to be first off, your snake find disproves the bible's timeline, completely, absolutely, and without flaw. Even, as I said, if you WILDLY exaggerate the most gross errors possible.

Secondly, you still didn't address my comments about basic physicology and skeletal organization and interconnection. In order for anything, a gopher, a lemming, an ape, a man, or a snake, to successfully walk upright, their joints, OBVIOUSLY! have to properly arranged. Lizards don't have such a joint structure. This limbed snake (also known as a lizard, BTW) does not have the vertically oriented hip joint that we or our lemming, meercat or ape ancestors do. you simply won't ever see a snake doing this:

http://www.safaris-in-namibia.co.uk/...01/meercat.jpg

Any first-year vertebrate biology classperson knows this; you, apparently, do not.

This is no more evidence of a limbed snake that used to walk but no longer can due to a Godly curse, than this is evidence that penguins can "fly"...

LEAP OF FAITH ADELIE PENGUIN PICTURES Animal photos & pics (http://thundafunda.com/33/animals-pictures-nature/leap-of-faith-adelie-penguin-pictures.php - broken link)

Except, of course, in your world.

This is a glowing example of your self-inflicted inability (this IS is your thread, after all...) to let go of anything you've EVER posited, even when you're so outnumbered, so outclassed by Truth, Light and simple rational thought.

You'd sorta think a guy might know when to quit, to stop making such a total fool of himself in front of, literally, tens of thousands of people, but then again, this may be serving a useful purpose after all.

It may turn those who are just starting to see the light of that truth away from a lifetime of blindered, scientifically illiterate and irrational thinking. In that regard, perhaps you ARE performing a useful service after all!

Quote:
One could claim imaginary speculation. However that is a term I believe best reserved for evolution. The fact is evolution does not have an authoritative book thousands of years old that would suggest it ever happened.

rifleman: Nowhere does it say that a book has to be thousands of years old to be truthful. Especially when it's so chock-full of errors, failed prophecies, contradictions and ambiguities. Not to mention obvious rational mistakes, like Noah's Ark, etc.

Would you care to read Chapter One of the Site Operations & Safety Manual for The Large Hadron Collider and call it all fake, Tom? and yet, it's only about 3 years old! Sorry: some things are fact, whether you like it or not.

Where as the Bible does say snakes would now crawl on their belly, and fossil evidence now show us snakes from the past sporting legs.

..and being mobile on the ground, right alongside the crawling snakes, both before this recent find and after it. All proven. No instant conversion of all upright walking snakes into low-life, curséd despicable crawlers. what a load of snake excrement! How vastly illogical, and Oh By The Way, completely mythical and unprovable.

Now it maybe other fossils discoveries will show us snakes with more advanced legs.

Yep. They are called evolutionarily successional lizards.

Yet this we do know. Scripture tells us there was a time that snakes did not crawl on their belly, and we have fossil evidence showing ancient snakes with legs. Your fossil record that would suggest that whales walked on land is far more about speculation then fact.

Ah so. You are now officially "up' on whale physiology too, huh? Try reading about the limb structure of a modern whale. (betcha won't...) They find, on easy examination, fingers, toes, tibia, femurs, the same musculature as other large land mammals, etc. Far more convincing than some silly fairy-tale about upright talking snakes being cursed. BTW, do snakes talk also, Tom? You never answered that question. If so, where's the throat structure, vocal cords, etc. that are required for that feat? Or is it all magic?

I can readily accept that the illiterate biblical authors and prophets of old didn't have the advantages of modern inquisitive thinking, such as: decades of careful dissection, investigation, observation and documentation in order to finally understand how snakes actually move, how they can't talk, how mammals reproduce walk and talk, about DNA and RNA you so fervently deny, and so on.

But you? In the year 2010? Unable to grasp even the simplest basics of it all, yet plowing on with fundy fairy tales gleaned from Sunday School comic books, and supported simply by the fact you got a job after paying? What about the days before you got that job, when you may also have prayed but didn't get an instant job?

This sort of "proof" is correctly considered by every rational person to be nothing more than coincidental evidence, unsupported and unreproducible. It proves nothing, in fact, only serving to feed the willing and already-convinced mind.

Oh pardon me; I had forgotten about magic.

Even the Biblical account of the Serpent has more fact then whale evolution.The Biblical Text adressed the Serpent, not whales or dolphins.
Yep. Jonah and all that silly stuff. And getting a minimum of 50 or so of each species of whale and dolphin onto/into those big tanks on the Ark (because despite your's and NAMI™s wildest unscientific fantasies, whales have specific salinity requirements, Tom, as do all their living food sources (krill, salmonids, dolphins, etc. But then, we've already disproved that old nonsense fable.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality