Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 03:06 PM

661 posts, read 1,186,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
His illustration works fine. Your understanding and interpretation of it doesn't. No one is condemning the blind for being blind . . . They are being berated for their insistence that the sighted are lying or delusional!!!
Hence, in their blind state, they either need proof or to be given the gift of sight.... that would be reasonable, would it not? How can you 'berate' someone for not believing without reasonable proof or supernatural intervention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 03:14 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,571,702 times
Good News???? Now they can start worshiping_____ fill in the blank. It will be filled, it is always filled and with something bad usually.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:19 PM

64,089 posts, read 40,382,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Hence, in their blind state, they either need proof or to be given the gift of sight.... that would be reasonable, would it not? How can you 'berate' someone for not believing without reasonable proof or supernatural intervention?
They are NOT being berated for not believing . . . try to read more carefully. They are being berated for calling the sighted liars or delusional!! How is that reasonable?

Old 12-27-2010, 07:13 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,686,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Your illustration does not work for belief and unbelief. You are saying that someone born blind, who cannot and will not ever see, because their condition has no cure, is to be condemned for their blindness and is not worthy of life for not believing that sight exists, just because someone else says it does?

That is what Christians say about those who do not believe, who cannot take someone else's word for it, or 'see' without being given proof.
No, no, no! You misunderstood. Reread my post again. Think about it.

The "blind" aren't to be looked at negatively for being "blind"...they are to be corrected for telling others that REALLY CAN "see", that they are "delusional", or "liars", or worse...for claiming "sight". These "blind" people proclaim, "NOBODY REALLY CAN "SEE"...simply on the basis that THEY can't.
I am explaining to them that they are in error about that...and that their criticism is misplaced.

I didn't always understand this concept myself, Ring...I needed to be "educated". Luckily, I found the "education" through one of the members of this forum. I will be forever grateful for that.

You keep thinking about it...you'll "get it". It's really very simple...but at the same time, very "deep". It is more than worth the contemplative effort.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,016,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No, no, no! You misunderstood. Reread my post again. Think about it.

The "blind" aren't to be looked at negatively for being "blind"...they are to be corrected for telling others that REALLY CAN "see", that they are "delusional", or "liars", or worse...for claiming "sight". These "blind" people proclaim, "NOBODY REALLY CAN "SEE"...simply on the basis that THEY can't.
I am explaining to them that they are in error about that...and that their criticism is misplaced.

I didn't always understand this concept myself, Ring...I needed to be "educated". Luckily, I found the "education" through one of the members of this forum. I will be forever grateful for that.

You keep thinking about it...you'll "get it". It's really very simple...but at the same time, very "deep". It is more than worth the contemplative effort.
Yes, it's like the Blind men and the elephant

Blind Men & An Elephant

Quote:
And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!

Moral:

So oft in theologic wars,
The disputants, I ween,
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean,
And prate about an Elephant
Not one of them has seen!

Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,686,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Yes, it's like the Blind men and the elephant

Blind Men & An Elephant
Nope! Not like that.

It would be like those six blind men...standing next to sixty sighted people...and the six blind, telling the sixty sighted...that they were all either "liars and/or delusional", when they claimed to be looking at, and seeing, what they said they were looking at.
And that they came to this determination because NONE OF THOSE SIX were able to see it...thus objectively proving that there wasn't really anything there to see...and furthermore, that was objective proof those sixty sighted people, "were not right in the head and imagining things".

THAT is the comparative analogy.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:24 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,571,702 times
Jesus said---

"Blessed those who have not seen yet have believed." Doubting Thomas had to see to believe, others did not need to see.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:49 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,847,271 times
Well then: is being conventionalist a matter of belief? Or, in this new age of non-anxiety, is the lack of requiring a convention a matter of belief?

Incidentally, I believe in convention for science.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:16 AM

48 posts, read 64,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The country has passed a significant threshold. Christians, you're officially a minority now.

Congratulations, Great Britain! : Pharyngula
Good Comments

Old 12-28-2010, 06:42 PM

9,325 posts, read 22,064,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The country has passed a significant threshold. Christians, you're officially a minority now.

Congratulations, Great Britain! : Pharyngula
So when they sing "god save the Queen".. they really don't mean it eh? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality