Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 01:32 PM

24,523 posts, read 33,404,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
You imply that this weak correlation equals causation?

America has more religious people than most developed nations, and has more overweight people - and thus do you believe religion makes you fat?

America has more religious people and a higher crime rate than most developed nations - do you believe religion makes you a criminal?

We can do the correlation equals causation game all day, but it doesn't really prove anything - especially if N =1 in your study.
I saw data a few months ago showing the the ratio of overweight people is higher in Australia than it is in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:20 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,989,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I realize it is pointless to try to reason with you, C34 . . . but most of the world who are theistic and those of us who have encountered God . . . do not have a problem with His reality. It is YOUR reality and the irrational and ludicrous things you believe ABOUT God and reality that people find so absurd!!

And yet my reality which you call ludicrous is in full agreement with the Bible. So naturally it is the Biblical account I believe you consider ludicrous. Just as I believe it is the Biblical God you find ludicrous as well. And yet, how is it that a boy of four could have a vision confirming such an account? And confirming it even before he knew what God, or the Bible was?

Old 01-03-2011, 04:53 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,684,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
And yet my reality which you call ludicrous is in full agreement with the Bible. So naturally it is the Biblical account I believe you consider ludicrous. Just as I believe it is the Biblical God you find ludicrous as well. And yet, how is it that a boy of four could have a vision confirming such an account? And confirming it even before he knew what God, or the Bible was?

You know there's an old saying: a revelation is one on one, everything else after that is hearsay........ so everything that you say is just hearsay and your opinion...... only.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:46 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,706,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
YOU may not know that it is God...but those that can "see" (90% of all the people that have ever lived) DO.
Ad populum fallacy. Sorry, no dice.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:43 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,682,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Ad populum fallacy. Sorry, no dice.
No it's not.

Those who have "sight" (right-brain sense), CAN see God...and do. That would be MOST people.
Those who don't have "sight" (right-brain deficiency), CAN'T see God. That is the FEW.

By your "logic"...You claim the case can be argued for NOBODY being able to see something...because SOME people are blind, and can't.

What is true...is true...regardless of what anyone thinks, or has to say about it.
And it is TRUE that most people can "see" God. I KNOW...because I'm one of the majority that can. If you don't believe me...ask around.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 PM

33,609 posts, read 37,258,722 times
I call bs...You cannot see god unless you are either dreaming or hallucinating ...Nobody can.

If we go along with your ad populum assertions, then the dominant species on earth are insects... At any time, it is estimated that there are some 10 quintillion (10,000,000,000,000,000,000) individual insects alive, and I believe they will still be here long after humans are extinct.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I call bs...You cannot see god unless you are either dreaming or hallucinating ...Nobody can.

If we go along with your ad populum assertions, then the dominant species on earth are insects... At any time, it is estimated that there are some 10 quintillion (10,000,000,000,000,000,000) individual insects alive, and I believe they will still be here long after humans are extinct.
Call whatever you want.

In my analogy, "to see" = "right-brain sense"...not "vision" as in "seeing" with your eyes. But then...you know that.

You are like a blind man, telling all the sighted people, they are "dreaming or hallucinating"...when they tell you they are capable of sight, and can see things you can't.
The fact the vast majority of people can see...and very few are blind...is just my stating the facts of the matter.
Same with most people having sufficient right-brain power to "see" God...with few lacking it.
That you don't believe it (because you are one of the "blind")...doesn't change it's "truth".
Not, "nobody can"...IN FACT, "most can"...you just aren't one of them.
The way the ratio falls...isn't an ad pop assertion...just the facts of how the ratio falls. It IS, what it IS.

Furthermore...it doesn't matter if only one in a billion could see...and all but seven people were blind...that wouldn't negate the fact of the possession of the power of sight in the handful that had it...and that sight IS possible, and vision DOES exist.

Insects outnumbering humans doesn't have diddly-squat to do with it.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:35 PM

33,609 posts, read 37,258,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Call whatever you want.

In my analogy, "to see" = "right-brain sense"...not "vision" as in "seeing" with your eyes. But then...you know that.

You are like a blind man, telling all the sighted people, they are "dreaming or hallucinating"...when they tell you they are capable of sight, and can see things you can't.
The fact the vast majority of people can see...and very few are blind...is just my stating the facts of the matter.
Same with most people having sufficient right-brain power to "see" God...with few lacking it.
That you don't believe it (because you are one of the "blind")...doesn't change it's "truth".
Not, "nobody can"...IN FACT, "most can"...you just aren't one of them.
The way the ratio falls...isn't an ad pop assertion...just the facts of how the ratio falls. It IS, what it IS.

Furthermore...it doesn't matter if only one in a billion could see...and all but seven people were blind...that wouldn't negate the fact of the possession of the power of sight in the handful that had it...and that sight IS possible, and vision DOES exist.

Insects outnumbering humans doesn't have diddly-squat to do with it.
You are beginning to parrot your hero, Mystic more every day... I am right brain dominant, but I can recognize reality when I see it, and differentiate it from imaginary things like dreams...You will never convince me that you or anyone else (not even one in a billion) can see any gods, except in your "picture books".

Sorry that your truth is nothing but a fallacy...Sad how some folks are so gullible and easily lead.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:10 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,621,068 times
Quote:
This is debated, but as I understand it I'd hesitantly agree. The full or true vision of God is, as I recall, reserved to the afterlife.

Although I would say people do hear God, which you would certainly not agree toward either. I do consider human experience and history to lead to the conclusion people have at least communicated with or been inspired by "something." (We do not know that insects have never heard God as we can't really ask them, although that's probably another red-herring issue anyway)

However I'd concede it's perfectly possible to distrust humans in favor of some elite and be correct to do so. As is sometimes stated most people throughout history believed the Sun revolved around the Earth, at least in some fashion. So distrust of human testimony and experience can be right. It doesn't mean it must be right, but I'm sure you know that.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
You are beginning to parrot your hero, Mystic more every day... I am right brain dominant, but I can recognize reality when I see it, and differentiate it from imaginary things like dreams...You will never convince me that you or anyone else (not even one in a billion) can see any gods, except in your "picture books".

Sorry that your truth is nothing but a fallacy...Sad how some folks are so gullible and easily lead.
If you think noting my subscription to what I have learned from Mystic is some kind of "slight" to me...you are wrong...AGAIN.
And if you think it makes me feel somehow diminished to label Mystic a genre of "hero" to me...you are wrong about that too.
You would be greatly improved to be a tenth as intelligent...and a hundredth as perceptive.

I'm sorry that you are "blind". If your right-brain is what's dominant...weeeeeeell...what can I say?...I wish you all the best.

And what can be concluded?: Some people just don't know...what they don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality