Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: pro-life or pro-choice
pro-life (against abortion) 32 50.00%
pro-choice (pro-abortion) 32 50.00%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 08:35 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,217,639 times

Advertisements

I see the article I posted, AUS requires registration of birth of 400g or more and after 20 weeks in the case of a still born.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,313,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
If believers had the moral high ground, they could possibly be afforded an audience however, believers are no different from me except that they have invisible friends.
Yea I agree, religion doesn't give anyone a moral high ground. In practice I don't think religious people are any more moral or ethical than a non-religious person.

But some moral relativists would also argue that somebody with more ethical standards also has no moral high ground over somebody who has no ethical standards... I would hate getting into arguments with a moral relativist...

Old 03-11-2011, 11:34 AM

Miyu

I think the ethics and morality concept has already been addressed. I googled your moral relativist and it does not describe me. However the bit mentioned here aligns with my way of thinking
Normative relativism is the prescriptive or normative position that, because there is no universal moral standard by which to judge others, we ought to tolerate the behavior of others - even when it runs counter to our personal or cultural moral standards.
Of course not reading it through my worldview it may sound irrational. Obviously tolerating behaviors like honor killings does not jive with me nor does stoning of gays and rape victims in some muslim countries. Pedophilia in the catholic churches fall into this category too. Can I prescribe to either to enforce my position? No. I could make a protest but that is it. Will it make a difference? Probably not.

What is good for the goose is not always good for the gander. If you want to discuss this further start a new thread.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:48 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
The pro-lifers should not take the "you have to pay the price" attitude. The woman is the only one who matters, Even if the man IS present? If you abort the baby, you are killing a 2yo and a 42yo, and whatever other age that person would have attained. To me, killing an unborn baby is the same as killing it after it is born.

That is YOUR opinion, YOUR belief......it is not mine. Why should I be forced to carry a pregnancy because of what YOU believe? If I am the one who has decided to abort, MY OPINION, that a fetus IS NOT a child, is the only opinion that counts. And the father, until he is the one who is literally putting his life and well being on the line to carry a pregnancy...... his opinion doesn't count either.

Saying I don't have to kill my baby if I don't believe in doing it is said as calmly as saying if I don't want to buy a pizza, I don't have to. If you did not have a child and one was left in your care and it was a really bad time in your life as far as a child being disruptive and you couldn't get anyone else to take the child (including the state), could you kill it then. After all, if the clild is only a month or several months old, its not really thinking or feeling important things yet, right?

Again, you are assuming everyone thinks of a fetus as a child......they don't. A fetus, that cannot survive outside of the womb, IS NOT A CHILD. That is MY opinion, and if I am the one who has to endure the pregnancy, my opinion is the ONLY opinion that matters.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
If YOU believe a fetus is a child, do not abort, that is YOUR choice. You have no right to force your beliefs on a woman who does not believe a fetus is a child. If she decides to abort, that is HER business, NOT yours.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:27 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,715,088 times
I personally liked Bill Clinton's comments about aborting. He said as I recall, "abortion should safe, legal and rare". I would classify anyone who doesn't more or less agree with that statement to be more on the fringe of what most of us think. We always seem to have those (for or against any issue you'd care to pick) that are "absolutists" on both sides who demagogue this issue to no end. The extreme positions on both sides don't match what most of us believe to be the best course of action. I mean come on....isn't there a resonable position between banning all abortions regardless of the circumstances and allowing unlimited partial birth abortions on demand....both of which seem extreme positions to me. Personally, I think if both sides would give a bit and be more pragmatic we'd most likely have less abortions done than we do now.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
The pro-lifers should not take the "you have to pay the price" attitude. The woman is the only one who matters, Even if the man IS present? If you abort the baby, you are killing a 2yo and a 42yo, and whatever other age that person would have attained. To me, killing an unborn baby is the same as killing it after it is born.

Saying I don't have to kill my baby if I don't believe in doing it is said as calmly as saying if I don't want to buy a pizza, I don't have to. If you did not have a child and one was left in your care and it was a really bad time in your life as far as a child being disruptive and you couldn't get anyone else to take the child (including the state), could you kill it then. After all, if the clild is only a month or several months old, its not really thinking or feeling important things yet, right?

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
If you think that a woman getting an abortion equates it to the same decision as getting a pizza- well, I can't even dignify that with an answer. I don't think that anyone can honestly believe that. Seriously. Let's be honest here. You might be against abortion at all costs - but let's not ridiculous. And that analogy is just ridiculous.

And as far as equating killing an actual child with a fetus - again, ridiculous. You can drop of a baby at a friend's house or a baby sitters - or go into a different room. Show me someone who can drop off a fetus at a friend's house. Apples and oranges.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:45 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,942 times
The government make laws all the time tell us what we can and can't do with our body. There is nothing that says nobody can tell you what to do with your own body. Plus we are talking about another life, not just getting a haircut. Laws are there to protect.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
The government make laws all the time tell us what we can and can't do with our body. There is nothing that says nobody can tell you what to do with your own body. Plus we are talking about another life, not just getting a haircut. Laws are there to protect.
Does your founding statement not infer that all men are created equal?

No (petty) laws are there to force one's one perceived morality on others. Criminal laws are there to protect.

Abortion was illegal here now it is not - abortions decreased percentage wise.

Gay marriage was illegal here, now it is not.

The sun still rises in the east and the sky did not fall. Xians are still the majority faith.

Nothing changed except that we now have an inclusive constitution that is fair to all members of society.

Change is possible but is usually hard, one has to adapt.

Life begins at birth. Women do not have to register that they are pregnant. Stillborns do not automatically get a birth certificate. Death certificates are not issued to stillborns.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:41 AM

27,159 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
well im not really religious,although i have certain respect for many of them,im kinda of a closet devotee of Krishna though,a very poor one at that,but heres what i think....

i think it all depends on the situation,if a girl is raped and has to bear the rapists child then i think it would be o.k.,i know i wouldnt /if i were a woman that is/want the child of a dirty uol rapist.

second-----if it were a life or death situation and no matter what you and the child were goin to die.

however i do find it weird that women would go and kill their own babies before they were born,thgeir is a part of me that finds it disturbing,but i guess their are women who go through so many imotionalo troubles that they sometimes see no other choice,if its just because they idnt want the baby for some selfish reasons,like wantin to party for the rest of their lives then i think that is wrong,

all in all if their are crimes(sins)commited then karma will kick.maybe not this life but a life that you were never goin to have.

Did you actually read the original post?

Old 03-12-2011, 09:33 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Does your founding statement not infer that all men are created equal?
Men, but not women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality