Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: pro-life or pro-choice
pro-life (against abortion) 32 50.00%
pro-choice (pro-abortion) 32 50.00%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:24 AM

419 posts, read 868,799 times

Advertisements

When I was younger, I was pro-life and Catholic. After having kids of my own, I became pro-choice and atheist. Parenting is tough and no one should be forced into that situation. Adoption is a choice, but there's no guarantee that it'll be best for the baby. Some women who are on the fence may get swayed to go through with the pregnancy, but if they cannot face giving up their baby, they end up being single mothers. Single motherhood, especially when it is unplanned for, comes with its own struggles and the child can suffer for it.

I have a relative who is one of those pro-lifers who stand on the street corner and in front of abortion clinics waving pro-life signs. She also counsels pregnant teen girls to continue with their pregnancies. She also makes cute knit booties and blankets for the babies. And she feels so satisfied and in God's grace when the teens choose life. But I wonder, is anyone really preparing those girls for motherhood? Where is the mental and economic support coming from? When I read the news reports of children being abused, I wonder if any of their mothers were pressured by pro-lifers not to abort them.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:10 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
GldnRule - I honestly would never call myself pro-abortion. I don't think that abortion is cool - I do see it as being a bad thing. Could I have ever gotten one? I don't know. I'm not a scared teenager anymore. I've also always had wonderful boyfriends (I was never into the bad boys!) that I know would have stuck by me and I have the most wonderful parents that never would have turned their back on me. I'm really lucky.
However, when my 24 year old friend who is living with 3 roommates who all drink and do drugs calls me up crying because she is pregnant, I realize that it's not my place to force her to do anything. She didn't have health insurance, she worked late at night as a bartender, and the guy that got her pregnant was someone she met on a trip in a foreign country. Now - do I think she was really irresponsible - YES!!! And normally, I would rip her a new one for having unprotected sex. In this day and age - I think it's inexcusable - especially because it could kill you. But - I realize that now is not the time for this lecture. Now is the time to be a friend and support my friend no matter what she decides. What is the best solution? The best solution would be to have her get into a time machine and either not have sex or use a condem. That would be the best solution. What's the next best solution? Well, it's not my place to say. I am not pro-abortion. I am pro her having the choice to make the decision that is best for her.
I really think the best solution is the morning after pill - because it prevents you from getting pregnant. You are actually not pregnant yet - and it prevents the pregnancy.
You touched on some common points in your posts to this thread Dewdrop...and I'd like to key off of them.

The "burdens" the child will cause a girl that is pregnant---as a "reason" to kill it.
Similarly, the observation that killing him/her is a way of "euthanizing" him/her against the potential of not having a "great life".

Very strange that throughout human history...no matter how horrible and/or desperate peoples' circumstances were...you NEVER saw large percentages of people killing themselves. Most people...given the "choice"...would take life...under ANY conditions...over death.
But if the logic in those previous "reasons" for killing fetal humans is so sound...why shouldn't society apply it to all...regardless of age?

See?...we would never say that would/could be a solution to those problems otherwise. But since we have become so selfish and evil we try to figure out a way to do it anyway. So we pretend the fetus isn't a "person"...thus has no "rights". Not even to it's own life. THAT'S the twisted ticket used to be able to kill the children some decide, that, for whatever reason, are not wanted. Sad, very very sad.

I think it IS "our place to say".
MOF, I believe we have an obligation to "say"...Love each other & treat others (even those not yet fully developed) the way you want to be treated.

Be well Dewdrop...you are in my best thoughts.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:22 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You touched on some common points in your posts to this thread Dewdrop...and I'd like to key off of them.

The "burdens" the child will cause a girl that is pregnant---as a "reason" to kill it.
Similarly, the observation that killing him/her is a way of "euthanizing" him/her against the potential of not having a "great life".

Very strange that throughout human history...no matter how horrible and/or desperate peoples' circumstances were...you NEVER saw large percentages of people killing themselves. Most people...given the "choice"...would take life...under ANY conditions...over death.
But if the logic in those previous "reasons" for killing fetal humans is so sound...why shouldn't society apply it to all...regardless of age?

See?...we would never say that would/could be a solution to those problems otherwise. But since we have become so selfish and evil we try to figure out a way to do it anyway. So we pretend the fetus isn't a "person"...thus has no "rights". Not even to it's own life. THAT'S the twisted ticket used to be able to kill the children some decide, that, for whatever reason, are not wanted. Sad, very very sad.

MOF, I believe we have an obligation to "say"...Love each other & treat others (even those not yet fully developed) the way you want to be treated.

I understand your point of view. However, I do not think that life begins at conception. I believe that life begins when the baby leaves the mother's body. I believe that I am building a life in my body right now - but it could not survive outside of me at this point in time. But I also believe that abortions should be limited to the first trimester - except in extreme cases.

I know that the two sides will never see eye to eye on certain things. I don't think that there is any way that I could convince you that an abortion at 6 weeks is not murder - and there is no way that you could convince me that it is. Do I think that it is the "right" thing or the "best" thing to do - no. But I don't consider it murder and I would rather people have the abortion because with out it - people will try to do it to themselves or commit suicide. And yes - many, many girls have killled themselves because of this.

I also think that most people are not able to put themselves into someone's shoes. I think people hear of someone getting pregnant and they think - she made her bed now she has to lie in it. She probably doesn't want to have the baby because she wants to party. She's going to murder a baby because she doesn't want to have to deal with it. But when you are really able to put yourself in someone's shoes - you realize that it's a terrifying situation. I'm not talking a little bit scary - I mean absolutely petrifying. I'm not going to judge anyone or tell them that they should do what I think they should do. Sometimes there aren't any good choices to make - just choices. But I also don't see it as murder.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:33 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post

We are at an age where self-gratification has become prevalent over moral obligation to others and those who have not yet come. As the collective parent, our society has neglected its duty to uphold the vital reason as to why mankind is above the unthinking animal..."causality!"

If this mindset of "self" continues unhindered by conscience...we could easily predict what the inevitable outcome would be.......

Peace!

Old 03-07-2011, 04:18 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post

We are at an age where self-gratification has become prevalent over moral obligation to others and those who have not yet come. As the collective parent, our society has neglected its duty to uphold the vital reason as to why mankind is above the unthinking animal..."causality!"

If this mindset of "self" continues unhindered by conscience...we could easily predict what the inevitable outcome would be.......

Peace!
So, what are you suggesting? I guess the rich should distribute their money to the poor. We should all put our money in one big pot to be distributed equally.......for the sake of the children.

Does anyone need two houses or a boat or jewelery? No.....not when there is a child hungry somewhere. So, I guess we should all be issued housing, clothing, food, etc......on an as needed basis.......so everyone has their needs met.

Yep, we should get rid of this mindset of "self".

Old 03-07-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
So, what are you suggesting? I guess the rich should distribute their money to the poor. We should all put our money in one big pot to be distributed equally.......for the sake of the children.

Does anyone need two houses or a boat or jewelery? No.....not when there is a child hungry somewhere. So, I guess we should all be issued housing, clothing, food, etc......on an as needed basis.......so everyone has their needs met.

Yep, we should get rid of this mindset of "self".
My post about "self" goes beyond the superficial mindset...it was intended to prick the spirit/conscience...after all...money does not buy wisdom or true bliss...

Peace!

Old 03-07-2011, 05:01 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
I am "limited pro-choice" in that I have no problem with if it is done early in a pregnancy, for any reason but I have a real problem with women who wait until they are 6-7 months pregnant--or later--to decide they want an abortion.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:02 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
My post about "self" goes beyond the superficial mindset...it was intended to prick the spirit/conscience...after all...money does not buy wisdom or true bliss...

Peace!
I don't think people that sleep under bridges and go to sleep hungry and cold every night would agree with you.

How about this? Don't eat for a few days and sleep outside in a cardboard box, then come and tell us about true bliss.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I don't think people that sleep under bridges and go to sleep hungry and cold every night would agree with you.

How about this? Don't eat for a few days and sleep outside in a cardboard box, then come and tell us about true bliss.
The OP asked how one views the issue of abortion: My response was "causality"...to put simply...weigh your action and its consequence before succumbing to "instant-gratification"...be morally responsible.

I'd love to continue this dialogue with you for it may just prove we share the same sentiment...however...the OP needs not be hijacked.

Peace!

Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I have no religion but follow the laws of God and believe that taking a life is a sin, a horrible sin. If I were to say "To each her own" to me, I would be just as guilty as the person allowing their child to be killed. They wonder why teenage girls put their babies in trash cans or toilets yet, what do we say about life just weeks or even moments before that baby is murdered after birth by allowing "legal" killings. Also a big believer in "You reap what you sow." I'm pro-choice on being accountable for your actions and there are lists of people willing to adopt these precious lives that are being destroyed because some people feel these precious babies aren't human!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.