Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 04:45 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
*mouses over clock on screen to check date, sees March 12, 2011, adjusts clock to March 12, 1011, all fixed now carry on*

Truth is timeless.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:45 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Modern science's comprehension of teutonic plates does not preclude the existance of God.

God made the teutonic plates; it stands to reason that He can then shift them as He sees fit.

Yes, in our understanding the death and destruction are devastating. But we do not have God's understanding of the situation.
God has nothing better to do than move plates around

Old 03-11-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
God has nothing better to do than move plates around
Like it would be hard or time-consuming for Him to do so?

My point is: Every time a natural disaster happens, you get two polarities of thought.

Thought A is--it is just a total random occurance and it s*cks and that is how nature is.

Thought B is--God did this and...(then the extremists come out)...He did this to punish whichever group of people.

I do not believe God did this to punish the Japanese (or the Haitians, or whomever is affected by the latest disaster). I don't know why God did it. But He has His purpose and perhaps it is not for me to understand.

Maybe He does it so we can demonstrate our love and compassion to our "brothers and sisters" who need our aid? (Just thinking out loud).

Old 03-11-2011, 05:29 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Like it would be hard or time-consuming for Him to do so?

My point is: Every time a natural disaster happens, you get two polarities of thought.

Thought A is--it is just a total random occurance and it s*cks and that is how nature is.

Thought B is--God did this and...(then the extremists come out)...He did this to punish whichever group of people.

I do not believe God did this to punish the Japanese (or the Haitians, or whomever is affected by the latest disaster). I don't know why God did it. But He has His purpose and perhaps it is not for me to understand.

Maybe He does it so we can demonstrate our love and compassion to our "brothers and sisters" who need our aid? (Just thinking out loud).
Thought C - It's not necessarily random. The plates are on their own paths and sometimes they meet and crash. Not a disaster for the plates. Normal for the plates. A disaster for the human beings and other creatures living on the plates.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 PM

659 posts, read 1,102,476 times
Quote:
Modern science's comprehension of teutonic plates does not preclude the existance of God.

God made the teutonic plates; it stands to reason that He can then shift them as He sees fit.

Yes, in our understanding the death and destruction are devastating. But we do not have God's understanding of the situation.
Teutonic plates? I think my grandma brought back a few of those when she vacationed in Germany many years ago.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:37 PM

659 posts, read 1,102,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's an interesting theory, about which two points leaped immediately to my mind:

1. Pearl Harbor was attacked in 1941. Why wait nearly 60 years to exact divine retribution? I mean, wouldn't you think the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki qualified as payback?

And 2. It makes me kind of nervous about what kind of payback the United States can expect for having usurped a popularly elected government in Iran (1953) and installing the Shah? (Among other 'extracurricular activities' we have engaged in over the past century or so).
I also thought of both of those things, but as the saying goes, arguing with idiots on facebook is like trying to teach a pig to sing.

Anyway, if the earthquake is God's retribution for anything, I'd say it's for anime.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:44 PM

OOPS

Tectnoic plates.

Maybe God needs to help my spelling.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Thought C - It's not necessarily random. The plates are on their own paths and sometimes they meet and crash. Not a disaster for the plates. Normal for the plates. A disaster for the human beings and other creatures living on the plates.

Good point.

But if one believes that God put the TECTONIC plates "on their own paths", then one might logically conclude that He is ultimately responsible for the disaster to said human beings and other creatures.

The disaster for the humans and other creatures is a disaster from our limited point of view, though. We cannot tell what might be set up for the future--we cannot see what good might come out of it.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:33 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
Quote:
Good point.

But if one believes that God put the TECTONIC plates "on their own paths", then one might logically conclude that He is ultimately responsible for the disaster to said human beings and other creatures.

The disaster for the humans and other creatures is a disaster from our limited point of view, though. We cannot tell what might be set up for the future--we cannot see what good might come out of it.
Yeah, lots of good will come out of thousands of people dying

Like every natural disaster the only thing that comes out of them is billions of dollars in damage, people with no homes and diseases.

Get real.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:47 PM

I am real.

The reality is, yes, agreed, billions of dollars in damage, people homeless, diseases, death, destruction, etc. It is awful, horrible, terrible, all those things. Agreed.

But to say those are the "only thing that comes out of them" is a very short sighted and severely limited point of view.

From John Mark Ministries:
"God creates peace and prosperity and God also creates calamity and disaster. God is the potter, we are the clay, He can create and us and He can destroy us. We are to humbly trust Him. We do not know our times. Our times are in his hand

Don't misunderstand. I don't think the quake is a GOOD thing. The pictures and the destruction; it is completely horrifying. But if one believes God is in control (which I guess you don't), then there might be a higher purpose. Let's say 1,000 people die. But let's say 1,000 more people turn to God because of the earthquake. Well, that's good. So good has come out of the destruction. We cannot see it from a vast perspective.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 03-11-2011 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality