Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:11 PM

659 posts, read 1,102,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
What makes Christianity the only true religion? We're true because we're not a religion.
Oh, this ought to be good...

Quote:
We're the only ones that don't require any special rituals or passages to go through to be saved. All you have to do to go to Heaven is believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus is the son of God and that he died on the cross for your sins. Even simply shouting the name of Jesus can save you.
How is confessing Christian faith your mouth any more or less a ritual than a muslim reciting shahada? Or a Buddhist taking refuge in the Three Jewels (which incidentally has nothing to do with enlightenment, but I'm keeping it for the sake of the analogy).
At their core, most if not all religions can be boiled down to a few simple precepts and practices, but they all tend to pick up a lot of ritual and ceremony over time. Christianity is no exception. Or have you never been baptized?

Quote:
The Bible is the only book backed by historical fact and has predicted numerous major events in the world before they happened. And The Bible is the only book with this proven track record of prophecy.
lol

Quote:
Like I said before, we're not a religion. All Christianity is having a relationship with Christ. You don't even have to go to church. It's simply believing on the Lord that he died on the cross for your sins.
But isn't it understood that once you've established that relationship with Christ that you're expected to act in a particular way, differently than you did before? "Born again", one might say. And part of that entails living a certain lifestyle in accordance with God's rules.

Which is exactly what Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. would tell you that they're doing to get to Paradise, the Bosom of Abraham, higher rebirth, Nirvana, or whatever they're trying to get to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 08:52 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
This is the type of behavior I am expressly talking about. Christianity claims to be the superior religion and yet there are very few "Christians" who actually do what their holy books tells them to do. There are just as many hardcore fundamentalist Christians as there are Muslims...fanatics are DANGEROUS no matter what religion they adhere to...the Westboro crew is a perfect example of that...and they are living so far from the TRUTH of what Jesus taught it isn't even worth going into. Not ALL Muslims are terrorists...there are many who want to live in peace just as we do.

If you cannot respect, love and live in harmony and peace with others because their beliefs are different from yours...how can you expect them to respect, love and live in harmony and peace with yours. Don't you understand that this is the entire goal of religions...all religions???

Christians completely lose all credibility regarding their beliefs when they spout this disprespectful nonsense...this is not what Jesus taught us to do...so again I ask this question: Why is Jesus completely ignored???????????
IMO, it's call legalism. It is easier to fall into the idea of Jesus than to search deep and know him. I grew up in a family that went to church, had relatives that went to church and I was force to go to church. It never occur to me why I had to go to church but I went anyways. Sooner or later like everyone else, I started to question this God (or Jesus) and why it is important to believe in Him. People would tell me that "Oh he died for you and blah blah blah" but I wasn't convince by their response. I consider myself to be a "subjective knower"; someone who doesn't trust what is taught, trust what is in mind, or that trust develops inside the person (me). I hate authority and all that crap that Christianity have, especially the whole "I do not permit a woman to teach". It's also interesting because I was a legalistic myself during this time but I didn't consider myself to be someone who believe in Jesus either.

It took years before I believe what I believe, not because "people or the Bible told me so". The day I believe to this day, I am on my own soul-searching journey. I've done so much research about theology, not so much Jesus. I have no idea why I didn't study about Jesus that much, but the more I practice what I preach, the more Jesus is relevant in my life. He is more in my conscious, I look at people differently, I learn to love what he loves and hate what he hates, and I am definitely learning to love others above myself. The most challenging teaching that Jesus had for me is to pray for my enemies and I am not capable of doing that. I am learning today at this moment that loving my neighbors is more than meeting the physical needs. It is emotionally, verbally, and mentally. I am always, always selfish but learning to selfless is the biggest life lesson.

During the last 2-3 years, I started to study other religions as to what makes Jesus different even though most of their teachings sound alike. You probably will not be convince by what I am convince by, but I was convince in my soul that Jesus paid it all. Every religion out there teaches that you have to DO good works to be accepted by God, even in the OT I believe, but Jesus said I did it all. This doesn't mean that Christians are to be lazy and do nothing. Not at all. I don't believe so. My second convince is Jesus LOVED his enemies even though they crucify him on the cross. No one in history that I know of has ever loved their enemies. My post isn't here to convince people. I want share what I know and studied and learned and lived.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:08 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,973,476 times
Quote:
Gullibility is one of humanity's most indoctrinated and ingrained traits. Tell us what we should believe in and we will die convinced it is true. Show us, and we will hate all who disagree. We are all too quick to accept our indoctrinated and ingrained beliefs...without ever actually examining those beliefs. 90% of all the earth's population have exactly the same religion.....Whatever Mommy, Daddy & your culture tell you is true.
This fact alone causes the majority of our wars and societal problems. We are RIGHT. We are GOOD. We have the TRUE RELIGION. All the others are DISGUSTING FILTH or in league with satan. They must be converted, hated or killed. Either way they will spend the rest of a billion forevers in everlasting hell. WE have the REAL Scripture. THEIRS are phony, and evil lies.
That, my friends, is your heritage. Almost every person on the earth, in one form or another, holds this view. Simply because that's what their parents have taught them. That's how the System works, and sustains itself. The only thing that separates a Christian from a Budhist, Hindi, Muslim, etc...is GEOGRAPHY. Our indoctrinated and ingrained beliefs are a direct product of our geographical location and the beliefs of the people who raised us.

Why do the "Muslims" hate the "Christians"? For exactly the same reasons the "Christians" hate the "Muslims." Why do the Christians hate "Budhists, Hindis, New Agers, etc??? THEY are not US. And only the US (and those who side with US) are right and have the one and only truth.

The overwhelming majority of you, statistically, do not care to find things out for yourselves. The overwhelming majority of you, statistically, will NEVER EXAMINE YOUR BELIEFS NOR ANYONE ELSE'S BELIEFS...to see if what you've been indoctrinated with could possibly be untrue.

Put as simply as possible:
Just because a government tells you something does not make it true.
Just because a church tells you something does not make it true.
Just because a media outlet tells you something does not make it true.
Just because your parents tell you something does not make it true.
Just because I tell you something does not make it true.
Just because any XYZ tells you anything, does not make it true.

So...I am asking for some open discussion on exactly what makes Christianity any more the TRUE RELIGION than any other religion. I would also like to know the steps you've taken in studying other religions to rule them out as the TRUE RELIGION.

For the Christians, specifically, I'd like to know exactly what you think of Jesus teachings when he stated: "Love your neighbor, as yourself...Love your enemy, turn the other cheek, etc..." Apparently your neighbors only include those who believe as you do and it has been made plainly clear, by all the wars we are involved in, that you don't love your enemies...I don't believe this is what Jesus taught...so tell me why or how you came to the conclusion that Jesus didn't know what he was talking about...since Christians completely ignore these things.
When Jesus was saying love your enemies, ect. That was His message given to the Jewish people during His Sermon on the mount. This was not a list of things to do. And I did notice you did not include Jesus telling them that if their eye offends them, they should pluck it out. Jesus was showing them if they wanted the works of the Law to save them. That is how good they would have to be. Of course no one could be that good. And that was the point Jesus was making. Christians have not ignored these words. We see them for what they are. Not as a list of things to do. But showing the Jewish people that no one will be saved by the works of the law.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
When Jesus was saying love your enemies, ect. That was His message given to the Jewish people during His Sermon on the mount. This was not a list of things to do. And I did notice you did not include Jesus telling them that if their eye offends them, they should pluck it out. Jesus was showing them if they wanted the works of the Law to save them. That is how good they would have to be. Of course no one could be that good. And that was the point Jesus was making. Christians have not ignored these words. We see them for what they are. Not as a list of things to do. But showing the Jewish people that no one will be saved by the works of the law.
As I see it, Jesus wasn't kidding when He told us to "love our enemies."

We can do it, and be like Him, or not do it, and not be like Him.

Blessings,
brian

PS. Christians do in fact ignore His teachings daily. Did you see the celebrations of Osama's death? Prime example.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:32 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
If this is your take on the teachings of Jesus...then it is clear why Christianity fails and continues to fail miserably. Like you, the majority of Christians see Jesus teachings as just guidelines and not the absolute rules you should conduct your life by. What you apparently don't understand is that most major religions ALL teach these same rules to live by: deny self, nonattachement, enlightenment, be in the world but apart from it, etc...Jesus was no exception to this. One cannot be consciously aware or annointed by the God/Christ within unless one is willing to do what it takes...WALKING THE WALK AND NOT JUST TALKING THE TALK.

Like I've said, time and time again, nonbelievers don't see any difference between Christians and them...you're lives all look the same. Christians may put on a good show come Sunday morning...but the show ends the minute they leave the church...they are undistinguishable from the rest of society. Just saying...

Old 05-03-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
As I see it, Jesus wasn't kidding when He told us to "love our enemies."

We can do it, and be like Him, or not do it, and not be like Him.

Blessings,
brian

PS. Christians do in fact ignore His teachings daily. Did you see the celebrations of Osama's death? Prime example.

The Sermon on the Mount was not a list of things for us to do. And if you believe it was. Then do you also agree that if our eye offends us. We should pluck it out of our head as Jesus stated in His Sermon. Or would you say Jesus was just kidding about that? You cannot just pick and choose what you want to believe in His Sermon. Jesus was telling the Jews how perfect they would have to be in order to be saved by the law. And to be that perfect, you would have to be willing to remove your eye physically if you wanted the law to save you.

Anytime evil is defeated it is a time to celebrate. The 3,000 who were killed in the World Trade Center had no time to celebrate. They only had time to die. Most of the world ignores the teachings of Christ. And many that do consider them, often take His meanings out of context.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:04 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
The Sermon on the Mount was not a list of things for us to do.
Why is it that the words of your Jesus that you don't like always apply to 'someone else' and the words you do like (which in your case appear to be anything that castigates homosexuals) apply to all?

Quote:
Then do you also agree that if our eye offends us. We should pluck it out of our head as Jesus stated in His Sermon.
Well you're the most vociferous in telling us that the Bible is true and that Jesus speaks the truth...so why not?

Quote:
You cannot just pick and choose what you want to believe in His Sermon.
Damn! That's another 'Irony Meter' gone up in flames.

Quote:
Most of the world ignores the teachings of Christ. And many that do consider them, often take His meanings out of context.
None more than you.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
If this is your take on the teachings of Jesus...then it is clear why Christianity fails and continues to fail miserably. Like you, the majority of Christians see Jesus teachings as just guidelines and not the absolute rules you should conduct your life by. What you apparently don't understand is that most major religions ALL teach these same rules to live by: deny self, nonattachement, enlightenment, be in the world but apart from it, etc...Jesus was no exception to this. One cannot be consciously aware or annointed by the God/Christ within unless one is willing to do what it takes...WALKING THE WALK AND NOT JUST TALKING THE TALK.

Like I've said, time and time again, nonbelievers don't see any difference between Christians and them...you're lives all look the same. Christians may put on a good show come Sunday morning...but the show ends the minute they leave the church...they are undistinguishable from the rest of society. Just saying...
So you believe that Jesus Sermon on the Mount were absolute rules for us to follow. Jesus stated in His same Sermon that if a persons eye offends them. They should have their eye removed from their head physically. Do you believe that is what we should be doing today?

The Christian faith teaches just the opposite of most world religions. For it teaches us that no one can be saved by the works of the law. Salvation is not earned. It is secured when we give our life to Jesus Christ. And Jesus tells us that no man comes to the Father, but throught Him alone.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave us His Son, that whosoever (BELIEVES IN JESUS) will not perish but have everlasting life. Jesus also told us, that many would worship Him with their lips yet their hearts are far from Him. Churches are filled with people who attend, yet their hearts are far from Christ. That should come as no surprise.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:09 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
So you believe that Jesus Sermon on the Mount were absolute rules for us to follow. Jesus stated in His same Sermon that if a persons eye offends them. They should have their eye removed from their head physically. Do you believe that is what we should be doing today?
Yes absolutely! Just like you should be selling your possessions and giving the money to the poor or not reporting theft of your possessions and trying to get them back.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Why is it that the words of your Jesus that you don't like always apply to 'someone else' and the words you do like (which in your case appear to be anything that castigates homosexuals) apply to all?

Well you're the most vociferous in telling us that the Bible is true and that Jesus speaks the truth...so why not?

Damn! That's another 'Irony Meter' gone up in flames.

None more than you.

All the words of Jesus apply to me. I fully accept that I cannot work my way to heaven. And that is what He was telling the Jews of His time. The Bible clearly does not support a number of sins. And it would be a mistake to believe this is just limited to one group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality