Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 05:22 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,975,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I think Christianity is a religion, but certainly not the only one and may not even be the right one. Every man has to make his own choice. The spirit of a man and a relationship with God, the Creator cannot be relegated to religion. If you are a believer, the Bible says "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God." And "those that worship HIM must worship HIM in spirit and in truth..." Where does a systems of human religious traditions with in christianity fit in with that. The true Church of God will not be found in brick and mortar, but in the hearts of free men. IMHO
However Jesus Christ was the only man that fulfilled the 300 prophecies found in the Old Tesatment. And those prophecies only had a very narrow window of time, that would allow for that fulfillment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
You might call them Jews, but based on how they act, I don't think they've even heard of the 10 commandments! (thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not kill...)

According to their religion, the concept of a "state" isn't even supposed to exist. And that fact that Israel only survives because of bloodshed, is proof.

Blessings,
brian
God told us in His prophecies that He would allow the Jewish people to return to Israel in the latter years. And that is because they polluted His name wherever they went. God is not pleased with the Jewish people. The Jewish people were given the right to return not only by God, but by the United Nations. Yet Israels neighbors tried to drive them out of the land from the beginning. So bloodshed is going to happen. God tells us that near the time of the end, many nations will attack them. Yet God will step forward at this time, and will protect them. Ezekiel 38.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
If Jesus' teachings are not what we are called to do (and I would say that "plucking one's eyes out" was rhetoric), then we can pretty much throw the Bible out the window.

3,000 killed in NYC? What about the 14,000-34,000 Afghan civilians killed by Americans?? Are they worth nothing?? Why didn't you mention them?? Are they worthless?? How many Afghans is an American worth, in your opinion? If someone kills your brother, do you then have the right to kill their whole family and cousins??

Jesus teaches us to love our enemies, and to not resist evil. I don't think there is a higher commandment that man is called to attain to.

Blessings,
brian

Jesus was speaking to the Jewish people telling them they would have to live a perfect life, for the Law to save them.

And if you really believe we are not to resist evil, then you must also believe the Bible is filled with contradictions.

For we read in Romans 12:18

(IF POSSIBLE) so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.

Another words, it may not always be possible. Thus there are times when we will need to resist evil. Of course that is just the oppsite of what you have stated. You believe what you do, because you are pulling Christ words out of context. And because of that, you are left with a Biblical contradiction.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:13 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,870,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is funny how you switch from "Christians hate everyone" to saying they condemn others to hell. LOL. Christians do not judge anyone to hell, that is God's job.

This definetly belongs to the atheist forum, since it is clearly just another anti-Chriatian rant.
Dang!!!! And to think, I don't believe I know a single Chriatian, but, if it is a religion, then I have found another one to disbelieve, assuming it believes in some sort of god. As a practicing and devout Atheist, I don't tend to do "gods" well.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:32 PM

17 posts, read 23,493 times
I don't believe any one religion is correct. In fact, mankind has corrupted God's teachings. There are many things within the Christian faith that are wrong. Not just with Catholics, but other christian denominations as well.

I believe that the Father has taught us through his Prophets, and that mankind subsequently created large religions around the teachings. The problem is, by doing this, man corrupted it. For a plethora of reasons, mankind corrupted the teachings. The usual suspects, of course... greed, ambition, jealousy, power, etc.....all of the primitive, inferior human traits. This led to, for instance, Christianity borrowing many traditions and teachings from other places, like Mithraism, Paganism, ancient egyptian religions, which in turn have other influences like astrology etc.... it's all really one convoluted mess, in my opinion.

Find your way, but remember, don't blame God for mankind's errors.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:58 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,868,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Wanting to be perfect is one thing. Yet Christ tells us, (WE SHOULD BE AS PERFECT AS THE FATHER IN HEAVEN).

WHO CAN BE AS PERFECT AS GOD?

Jesus laid down a list of things to do which would be impossible for a human to fulfill. If you consider the entire message of Christ found in the Scriptures. It becomes clear that Jesus is telling us that good works will not lead one to heaven. And Romans 3:23 tells us. For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. And that verse pretty much eliminates us being as perfect as God.
Then as Christy pointed out, what the hell is the point of your man-god telling you that you must do something that you cannot possibly do?

Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Then as Christy pointed out, what the hell is the point of your man-god telling you that you must do something that you cannot possibly do?
Nothing is impossible with God.

It is true that a human alone cannot be perfect. The devil influences, and human nature. All of this works against you.

However, if you are close to God at all times, and do not invite evil into your life, you can be perfect in God's eyes. Jesus proved it.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtectYourHeart View Post
Nothing is impossible with God.
Then how come he couldn't defeat some dudes because they had iron chariots?

Old 05-05-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Then how come he couldn't defeat some dudes because they had iron chariots?
Before we move on to another question, are you satisfied with the answer to your previous question?

I will assume you are, since you simply skipped the topic and moved on to another. Does this mean you see you could possibly have been wrong?

Old 05-05-2011, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtectYourHeart View Post
Before we move on to another question, are you satisfied with the answer to your previous question?
Not in the slightest.

Quote:
Does this mean you see you could possibly have been wrong?
Not in the slightest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality