Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,372,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Thank you Brian for expressing some of the points I was attempting to make so succinctly. The majority of Christians completely IGNORE the teachings of Jesus when it suits them to do so, which is why they have absolutely no credibility in my eyes...and they justify their bad behavior in any way possible...even to the point of calling it "biblical".

Jesus followers cannot be in the world as well as be a part of it...they are called to be separate and different from the rest of the world...they are called to set a particular example to others which shows how different they are and how serious they are about their walk, they are called to LIVE A CHRISTLIKE LIFE...sadly, the majority of Christians are undistinguishable from the rest of society.

If I were a Christian (a label I would never use for myself)...this would be of great concern to me...why isn't it to the Christians out there???????????
Sometimes it's good to pause and remember that there are many Christians who do not support the violence and war that is so rampant today, both in America and abroad. Quakers are a good example; here's a page with many links, some more interesting than others, but refreshing nonetheless!

The Religious Society of Friends

Blessings!
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 07:37 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
And Scripture gives us the right to defend ourselves. What does America have to do with the Christian faith?
What does Iraq have to do with 9/11?

Quote:
If you cannot view the full context of what Jesus was saying here, your going to have to start rewriting Scripture to fit your beliefs.
Well you could sure give him some lessons on that score dude....you're a master at rewriting scripture to suit your beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
The concept of a "state" is not biblical. (Interestingly, this is the exact same reason why many Jews are against the state of Israel, but I digress..)
What's that Brian!!! Brother Campbell insists that the Jews are stampeding back to Israel in droves...just ask him.

PS. On second thoughts, please don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Jesus followers cannot be in the world as well as be a part of it...they are called to be separate and different from the rest of the world...they are called to set a particular example to others which shows how different they are and how serious they are about their walk, they are called to LIVE A CHRISTLIKE LIFE...
Hear! Hear! So listen up all you so called Christians. Jesus said you should sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor. As I'm poor, please send cheques or money orders made out to me... c/o 'June The Slasher' or 'Nana Blue' here at CD.

Thanks in anticipation.

Raffa

Old 05-04-2011, 07:59 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,372,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
What's that Brian!!! Brother Campbell insists that the Jews are stampeding back to Israel in droves...just ask him.

PS. On second thoughts, please don't.

Raffa
Funny thing, I know a lot of Jews.. and none of them are moving to Israel!

And the concept of "state nationality," which is foreign to Judaism, was never desired from within Jewry until the Zionists appeared in the 1800's.

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-04-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Me too! But you won't convince 'the brick wall' of that my friend.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,974,269 times
Quote:
Jesus lived in peace, all the way to the cross!

You raise a good point, however, when you ask what Christianity has to do with the state. Absolutely nothing! And if we are faithful to Christ, we must follow His commands first and foremost. If Jesus tells us to love our enemies, and the President tells us to kill them, then we must make a choice: follow Jesus or the President? The concept of a "state" is not biblical. (Interestingly, this is the exact same reason why many Jews are against the state of Israel, but I digress..)

Jesus tells us that if our eye offends us, to pluck it out. That is, the Kingdom of God is much more important than the things of this life, and He is making a comparison. The same comparison is made with regard to family. Are we supposed to hate our family? No. His comment about hating our family in order to follow Him is rhetoric: the Kingdom is way more important than family will ever be. (But that's not to say that family is not important, only that it must be put in perspective.)
I hope that explanation was a bit more clear..

Jesus tells us how to live with our neighbors: in peace. And that peace isn't the peace of the world, which says, "I'll put up with you unless you really make me angry." No. His peace is "love your neighbor as yourself." We all know this, and we know that this is the right way to live. But many are not ready to accept this yet. 2,000 years since Jesus has taught it, and some are indeed living it (Amish, Quakers, etc), but the majority of "Christians" have not yet taken up their cross. They don't want to forsake all.
My hope is that we all soon start to follow Jesus.

Blessings,
brian
If Jesus tells us to pluck out our eye, are you suggesting we should not?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
If Jesus tells us to pluck out our eye, are you suggesting we should not?
The point is, if that's what he said and you believe that he's a god and you want to do right by him and you want to obey him....why wouldn't you? If your Jesus said that the only to get into heaven is to pluck out your eyes, would you do it then?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
If a Christian tells you you are going to hell, or you will not be saved if you...... That has nothing to do with hatred.
Au contraire, it is said with a great deal of hatred. The purpose is to create the irrational fear of hell that they have succumbed to.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:

And the concept of "state nationality," which is foreign to Judaism, was never desired from within Jewry until the Zionists appeared in the 1800's.

Blessings,
brian
And yet Sir Issac Newton knew 250 years ago that the state of Israel would exist before the year 2060. He based his understanding on the prophecies of the Bible. Many Jewish people have already returned to Israel. And in the not to distant future most Jews will be found living there. They are fulfilling the prophecies of Ezekiel 36,37,38, and 39. Most Jews here in America will leave when America is threatened with annihilation. There will be two years of warning. And most Jews along with many other people will be leaving at that time.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:00 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Au contraire, it is said with a great deal of hatred. The purpose is to create the irrational fear of hell that they have succumbed to.
It's more likely the possible outcome, not the intended purpose. The motive of the person speaking isn't normally hate, although the doctrine, itself, is hateful, fear-inducing if believed, and worthy of being hated.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
The point is, if that's what he said and you believe that he's a god and you want to do right by him and you want to obey him....why wouldn't you? If your Jesus said that the only to get into heaven is to pluck out your eyes, would you do it then?

If you read the Sermon on the Mount. It is pretty obvious that Jesus is not pushing eye plucking. He is showing the Jewish people of the time that the Law cannot and will not save them. In that same Sermon Jesus tells us that if you call a person a fool, you will be in danger of Hell fire. Jesus teaches us in that Sermon that if your right hand offends thee, you should cut it off as well. Jesus tells them that they should all be as perfect as God in heaven.

Now the problem is, no one can be that perfect. And of course Jesus knew that, and the Jews of that time knew that as well. And that is why all through Scripture God tells us that no flesh shall be justified by the works of the law. Another words, it's going to take something greater than good works to get to heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality