Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 12:36 PM

28,338 posts, read 16,471,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The point being missed by everyone is that reality EXISTS and WHATEVER is the source of its existence . . . IS God to us puny participants in it, period! The myriad beliefs (or non-beliefs) ABOUT God are NOT controlling.

Can't agree with that, Mystic. I'm betting that nearly all theists would tell you the "God" they believe in is a sentient, intelligent creator. That distinction is central to the discussion at hand, no?

Last edited by hooligan; 11-17-2011 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 12:39 PM

28,338 posts, read 16,471,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Actually part of my intent is to address the athestic concept that something caused the universe to occur, but whatever it was, it sure ain't God...
As opposed to the theistic concept that whatever it actually was that created the universe, it HAD to have been God - even though there is no evidence (outside of our existence here in this universe) whatever to suggest that God even exists?

FWIW, I'm atheist. My opinion on the matter isn't that "...it sure ain't God...", it is simply that there is no evidence to suggest it *was* some sort of "God".

Old 11-17-2011, 12:42 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,460,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
As opposed to the theistic concept that whatever it actually was that created the universe, it HAD to have been God - even though there is no evidence (outside of our existence here in this universe) whatever to suggest that God even exists.
More than that, it is pretty obvious that god is a human construct. Almost all cultures have "gods" that explain concepts that ancient people simply could not.

"Why does it rain? Oh, the Rain God is crying."
"Why doesn't it rain? We must have angered the Rain God! Quick, sacrifice a child to appease Him!"

It's obviously all man-made, irrational mythology.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:22 PM

64,113 posts, read 40,420,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Can't agree with that, Mystic. I'm betting that nearly all theists would tell you the "God" they believe in is a sentient, intelligent creator. That distinction is central to the discussion at hand, no?
I do not dispute the existence of any beliefs about God, Hooligan. But BELIEFS ABOUT God have no relevance to the existence of reality itself. We should never credit or discredit the existence of any phenomenon based on the absurd beliefs held about it. That something is the basis of our reality is undeniable . . . whatever it is . . . and that has sufficient power and scope relative to us to be God. Clearly your beliefs about God will differ enormously from others . . . but they do not change God at all. God is what God is . . . whatever God is.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:28 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,936,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I would not call a phenomenon a god.

The question is what caused the quantum fluctuation and why would it result with life as we know it?
THERE!!!!!

There is your problem. "IT" didn't result in life as we know it. TOO many think that Atheists and skeptics alike all believe that something went "poof" and everything is as we know it. Not so. "life as we know it" is a result of 4.5 billion years of cause and effect here on earth, not the big bang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
According to Hawking, nothing caused the quantum fluctuation. .
Right there is where I get lost. The "something from nothing" argument.

Quote:
Mr5150, I seriously, seriously doubt your "Chuck" story. I have never, never heard of an atheist converting to Christianity for intellectual reasons. The few who do convert do so for purely emotional reasons, and likely were never really aware of the evidence for atheism. They leave atheism because "something is missing" from their lives, or they need "meaning," not because there is any evidence for theism. Once again, intellectual, knowledgeable atheists do not convert to Christianity. It simply doesn't happen.

The "no true scotsman" blade cuts in both directions you know......

Old 11-17-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We should never credit or discredit the existence of any phenomenon based on the absurd beliefs held about it.
Sort of like theists saying that that atheists are bad people because they "believe" that Atheism frees people of moral constraints.....right?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:33 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,460,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Right there is where I get lost. The "something from nothing" argument.
Read this: Stephen W. Hawking - The Origin of the Universe (http://www.hawking.org.uk/index.php/lectures/94 - broken link)

Quote:
The "no true scotsman" blade cuts in both directions you know......
I didn't raise the "No True Scotsman" fallacy. I was careful to say "educated, informed atheists" do not convert for "intellectual" reasons. That's different than saying "a true atheist would never convert to Christianity."

Old 11-17-2011, 01:39 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Read this: Stephen W. Hawking - The Origin of the Universe (http://www.hawking.org.uk/index.php/lectures/94 - broken link)
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out later tonight.....

Quote:
I didn't raise the "No True Scotsman" fallacy. I was careful to say "educated, informed atheists" do not convert for "intellectual" reasons. That's different than saying "a true atheist would never convert to Christianity."
Fair enough I suppose, but you were walking a very thin line.....

Old 11-17-2011, 02:09 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,604,558 times
Quote:
Mr5150, I seriously, seriously doubt your "Chuck" story. I have never, never heard of an atheist converting to Christianity for intellectual reasons. .
So...you're calling me a liar?

I suppose you've met every atheist who converted. Perhaps the idea is too much for you to bear.

Too bad I can't use a raised middle finger smilie on this site.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:45 PM

64,113 posts, read 40,420,114 times
Quote:
Once again, intellectual, knowledgeable atheists do not convert to Christianity. It simply doesn't happen.
Ahem . . . amazingly presumptuous. I am definitely an intellectual and extremely knowledgeable ex-atheist Christian Universalist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality