Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2023, 11:28 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,789,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I don't eat pork anymore. But not due to old Testament restrictions.

For humanitarian reasons.

They are as smart dogs ( if not smarter) and their treatment and culling routine is barbaric IMO.

Can't look at my dog and eat it.
I love pork, but I'm like you I have trouble when I visualize the poor things dying. I'll probably end up a vegetarian and not eat anything with a face. Wouldn't hurt me, that's for sure.

Old 07-27-2023, 07:22 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I love pork, but I'm like you I have trouble when I visualize the poor things dying. I'll probably end up a vegetarian and not eat anything with a face. Wouldn't hurt me, that's for sure.
I have periodically gone vegetarian at various times, and will probably go vegetarian again at some point.

For me it's multiple reasons. My health, environmental, and humane treatment of the livestock.

But I do still own a grill for those increasingly rare events when I grill up something tasty. Just not pork.

Can't help myself.

Old 07-27-2023, 04:42 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
I try to not eat too much red meat for health and environmental reasons (I usually have around 3-4 servings per month). We’re very big on chicken, turkey, and fish in our house. Our four-year-old actually like plant protein most of all, in veggie burgers and veggie nuggets (a result of our kosher dairy daycare), but he likes turkey and chicken, too.

I’m generally not a big pork person, but I greatly enjoy it in charcuterie form. I like bacon, but I’m not one of those people who can’t live without it. Every now and again, I’ll enjoy a nice pork chop or ham sandwich. Although I’m from a Jewish family, only one-sixth of American Jews keep kosher, and I was never part of that minority. Very few family members kept kosher beyond the immigrant generation. One of my great-grandmothers stopped eating bacon after she made a “deal with God” that if my great-uncle didn’t get drafted into Vietnam, she’d swear off pork belly forever. And sure enough, he was declared unfit for service because he had the same congenital cataracts as his mother.

Old 07-27-2023, 04:46 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
St. Jesus? That's a new one. When was he sainted and by whom and what was his specialty?

Old 07-27-2023, 05:03 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
When it comes to ham, I'm with the wolves in the old Far Side cartoon, looking down on a herd of pigs, one wolf says to the other, "I say we take them ... and trichinosis be damned!"

Seriously though I eat a lot less of it than I would like to, for the health and humanitarian reasons stated above by others. It is mostly a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner thing anymore.

Old 07-27-2023, 05:23 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
When it comes to ham, I'm with the wolves in the old Far Side cartoon, looking down on a herd of pigs, one wolf says to the other, "I say we take them ... and trichinosis be damned!"

Seriously though I eat a lot less of it than I would like to, for the health and humanitarian reasons stated above by others. It is mostly a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner thing anymore.
I have a big soft spot for capicola—not gabagool, but the lean, spicy, cooked deli ham one often finds in Italian subs and hoagies.

Old 07-29-2023, 11:25 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I have a big soft spot for capicola—not gabagool, but the lean, spicy, cooked deli ham one often finds in Italian subs and hoagies.
Know it well. And miss it.

( my wife is scicilian )

Old 07-31-2023, 08:55 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:

They are as smart dogs ( if not smarter) and their treatment and culling routine is barbaric IMO.

First I started not eating veal, for the way calves are treated. Then, lambs. Then pigs. Then I stopped eating all animals.

Among animals grown for food, pigs are probably the smartest, and most friendly animals. They are also treated the worst. Look up gestational crates, and "high speed slaughter".

They are punched, beaten and kicked on their way to their death. I have seen slaughterhouse worker slam baby pigs to the floor for attempting to be friendly or to nuzzle and comfort each other.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:08 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Quote:
I have periodically gone vegetarian at various times, and will probably go vegetarian again at some point.

For me it's multiple reasons. My health, environmental, and humane treatment of the livestock.

But I do still own a grill for those increasingly rare events when I grill up something tasty. Just not pork.

Can't help myself.
I know, it's so hard. The struggle is real. I still cannot fathom how anyone could kill beautiful deer, that is one thing I definitely will not eat. The way to avoid that is to not marry a hunter. My hardest thing would be letting go of chicken, not red meat. But, they still have a face. I wish I knew how to cook better, that would make being a vegetarian much easier.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:11 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:

This ^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality