Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2023, 07:04 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
First I started not eating veal, for the way calves are treated. Then, lambs. Then pigs. Then I stopped eating all animals.

Among animals grown for food, pigs are probably the smartest, and most friendly animals. They are also treated the worst. Look up gestational crates, and "high speed slaughter".

They are punched, beaten and kicked on their way to their death. I have seen slaughterhouse worker slam baby pigs to the floor for attempting to be friendly or to nuzzle and comfort each other.
Horrific!
Had a hard time even reading that.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:09 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
First I started not eating veal, for the way calves are treated. Then, lambs. Then pigs. Then I stopped eating all animals.

Among animals grown for food, pigs are probably the smartest, and most friendly animals. They are also treated the worst. Look up gestational crates, and "high speed slaughter".

They are punched, beaten and kicked on their way to their death. I have seen slaughterhouse worker slam baby pigs to the floor for attempting to be friendly or to nuzzle and comfort each other.
I've got a farming background. I've never seen a farmer mistreat his livestock. It's how they make money.

Do you believe that what you've been told and what you believe is typical?

Old 08-02-2023, 04:02 AM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I've got a farming background. I've never seen a farmer mistreat his livestock. It's how they make money.

Do you believe that what you've been told and what you believe is typical?
Most Farmers do not slaughter their own pigs. The horror begins on the way to the slaughter house. And inside. They know what is about to happen.

Please google "gestational crates" - these are used in Factory Farms. And High-Speed Slaughter for pigs.

There are a number of ways to slaughter pigs. Most are grotesque.

Old 08-02-2023, 07:48 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,797,358 times
Quote:
Most Farmers do not slaughter their own pigs. The horror begins on the way to the slaughter house. And inside. They know what is about to happen.

Please google "gestational crates" - these are used in Factory Farms. And High-Speed Slaughter for pigs.

Thank you, this is the absolute truth. It's horrendous and anyone who says otherwise has no heart.

Old 08-02-2023, 07:48 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:

Do you believe it is less traumatic than a predator killing an animal in the wild?

That said, it's not a bad thing for people to know where their meat comes from. I am a hunter. I shoot deer. I also like to slaughter a hog every year or two, and about 8 months ago a local farmer friend gave me a cow that had gone down. She was healthy, but when a cow goes down on the ice, it can be a death sentence. I had to put her down and I butchered her. It is gruesome, but it's life.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:20 AM

15,974 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Default What I know about pigs.

This is what i know about pigs.
Never wrestle with pigs. You will get dirty and the pigs love it.
I good solid sentiment for maintaining your sanity on internet forums.
Place them on ignore.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Do you believe it is less traumatic than a predator killing an animal in the wild?

That said, it's not a bad thing for people to know where their meat comes from. I am a hunter. I shoot deer. I also like to slaughter a hog every year or two, and about 8 months ago a local farmer friend gave me a cow that had gone down. She was healthy, but when a cow goes down on the ice, it can be a death sentence. I had to put her down and I butchered her. It is gruesome, but it's life.
I believe it's quite OK to raise animals for our purposes. And to selectively breed them.
Then to provide them with a humane life, then to humanely and respectfully cull them.

But when millions of Americans are chowing down on massive amounts of meat, the above is not possible on an institional scale.

Think about how many animals need to be killed a day, to provide this country with its lust for animal meat.

I'm familiar with farming, and farm animals.
My dad had a large and small veterinary practice before going into research and teaching.
In fact I'm going to visit some ex farmers in Iowa in a couple weeks.

We are to be good stewards of these creatures, as we provide for them. They reward us by providing for sustenance.

I still eat red meat. But rarely and selectively.
But no more pork. Unless I can find a responsible local farmer. And they are becoming more and more difficult to find. Particularly local pig farmers.

Old 08-02-2023, 02:15 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:

I believe it's slow torture.

I don't really understand anyone who hunts animals for sport. I can't engage in this conversation for that reason. I did not grow up among hunters. None of my friends are hunters. My husband didn't hunt.

You said something that I agree with - it's gruesome

Old 08-02-2023, 03:38 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
I believe it's slow torture.

I don't really understand anyone who hunts animals for sport. I can't engage in this conversation for that reason. I did not grow up among hunters. None of my friends are hunters. My husband didn't hunt.

You said something that I agree with - it's gruesome
Hunters are thick in my part of the world. They tend to have their own culture. Besides hunting it includes motor vehicle racing, fishing, MMA and WWE watching, paintball, and their latest craze... hatchet throwing.

These days another big thing for them is 2A tee-shirts. You'll see them out tinkering with their cars wearing those shirts.

They truly can't understand your POV as they think they are doing the world an ecological favor by thinning the herd. As far as domestic livestock? That's how many of them make a living. If they don't work in agriculture, it is most likely one of the main economics engine their area. So obviously they aren't going to be on your side regarding the treatment of those animals.

Old 08-02-2023, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Hunters are thick in my part of the world. They tend to have their own culture. Besides hunting it includes motor vehicle racing, fishing, MMA and WWE watching, paintball, and their latest craze... hatchet throwing.

These days another big thing for them is 2A tee-shirts. You'll see them out tinkering with their cars wearing those shirts.

They truly can't understand your POV as they think they are doing the world an ecological favor by thinning the herd. As far as domestic livestock? That's how many of them make a living. If they don't work in agriculture, it is most likely one of the main economics engine their area. So obviously they aren't going to be on your side regarding the treatment of those animals.
Have some friends that were responsible hunters. They would not take a shot unless they were sure of a " clean kill ".

For someone who still occasionally eats animals, I view hunting as a cure for hypocrisy.

Many who devour meat, could not imagine killing an animal. Yet they basically hire someone else to do the dirty work for them.

I lived in a rural area where white tailed deer bred like rabbits. So traffic deaths and accidents increased.

Every few years the authorities would approve an extended season or bag limit, and even hire hunters to reduce the population.

Man has always competed with and dominated animals.

Hopefully we do it humanely. Afterall, we're called human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality