Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,921,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Okay, now I know not to take anything you say seriously.
....but why not?? How can you interpret what I mean unless you understand how my words should be interpreted....you know....just like you claim for your Bible.

Quote:
When did I say that?
In post #84. You said....

"I believe in Biblical inerrancy."

In other words you believe that everything in the Bible is true...hence the word 'inerrant'.

You follow this with ....

"This does not mean you have to take everything literally. There are things that are clearly symbolic i.e. Daniels prophecy's."

In other words you accept that there is allegory, symbolism and metaphor in the Bible (things that are not actually true and must not be taken literally).

You can't have something that is inerrant(true) yet contain things that are not true (allegory, symbolism and metaphor)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 03:48 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,619,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
....but why not?? How can you interpret what I mean unless you understand how my words should be interpreted....you know....just like you claim for your Bible.
It's not "my Bible". I don't know who you think you are fooling by talking about secret codes and junk... continue if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
In post #84. You said....

"I believe in Biblical inerrancy."

In other words you believe that everything in the Bible is true...hence the word 'inerrant'.

You follow this with ....

"This does not mean you have to take everything literally. There are things that are clearly symbolic i.e. Daniels prophecy's."

In other words you accept that there is allegory, symbolism and metaphor in the Bible (things that are not actually true and must not be taken literally).

You can't have something that is inerrant(true) yet contain things that are not true (allegory, symbolism and metaphor)
Symbolism and truth are not mutually exclusive friend. For example, Nebuchadnezzar had a dream and Daniel interpreted it. The fact that he had a dream is true and the symbolism in the dream was also true.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:54 PM

5,544 posts, read 7,157,715 times
You're certainly making a lot of good sense, Rafius. Too bad our esteemed colleague is not.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,921,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
You're certainly making a lot of good sense, Rafius. Too bad our esteemed colleague is not.
It's a Christian thing mate!

Old 01-30-2012, 12:50 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,619,221 times
I've always thought it was intresting when it comes to people who say they can translate/interpret the bible. I've have a few Jewish friend's and even they will admit that they argue about the translations/ meaning of said words in the bible. So when I hear someone spouting how they know what said words mean I tend to call B.S.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,928,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
It's not "my Bible". I don't know who you think you are fooling by talking about secret codes and junk... continue if you want.

Symbolism and truth are not mutually exclusive friend. For example, Nebuchadnezzar had a dream and Daniel interpreted it. The fact that he had a dream is true and the symbolism in the dream was also true.
The internal evidence of Daniel (1) suggest that the dream is NOT true and thus the symbolism is actually faulty, based on a msunderstanding of Media and Persia not being two successive empires.

Talking of symbolic or metaphorical truth is an evasion of the substantial doubts about the factuality of the bible. If the facts are not reliable, the metaphors and symbolism are even less so.

(1) that the history as regards the fall of Babylon is inaccurate but the history (disguised as prophecy, but can be matched to the event of the Ptolemaic/Selucid wars) suggests that the dream is more to do with raising Judean nationalistic sentiments than accurately recounting the history of Babylon's rulers.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:14 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,928,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I've always thought it was intresting when it comes to people who say they can translate/interpret the bible. I've have a few Jewish friend's and even they will admit that they argue about the translations/ meaning of said words in the bible. So when I hear someone spouting how they know what said words mean I tend to call B.S.
I know that many people say that they clearly understand the Bible, but, when it is approached from no assumptions and matching it to known history, so many questions and puzzles become quite simple and watching believers (who would never dream of questioning the basics) tying themselves in logical of metaphorical knots in trying to make the unworkable work (and that usually means in selecting odd bits rather than looking at the whole thing) becomes rather sad as well as amusing.

I recall one post where I explained the difference between the hebrew words for sphere and circle. It was startling but perhaps not unexpected that it was contemptuously swept aside as incomprehensible rubbish. The bottom line is that people have to be willing to listen before they can learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality