Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:23 AM

98 posts, read 147,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
When did I say I don't care about anyone? I would risk my life to help someone because Christ said true love means complete sacrifice. Atheists love making things up. What is the point in making a better world? There would be no difference if this world became a smoldering ball of fire today or a million years from now, according to secular thinking. Think about it. The only thing that keeps anybody going is their built in awareness of a creator. Atheists lie to themselves, its really depressing.
You really think that there is no difference if this world became a smoldering ball of fire today or a million years from now? That doesn't even make sense. Of course there is a difference. There is no point in making a better world? Really? Another strange assumption and it's really sad that you see people as thinking this way. How black IS your heart?

The point of making a better world is for the future of your loved ones and the population in general. What I see as worse is the religious people who believe there is no reason to not pollute, or not care about the planet or the population, because either god is going to rapture them or because it says in the bible that god will take care of it all for them. They are the ones who think there is no need in making a better world, not atheists.

Atheists aren't the ones treating this world as just a giant waiting room where you can leave your trash scattered among the magazines when your name is called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 09:39 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,367 times
Quote:
When did I say I don't care about anyone? I would risk my life to help someone because Christ said true love means complete sacrifice. Atheists love making things up. What is the point in making a better world? There would be no difference if this world became a smoldering ball of fire today or a million years from now, according to secular thinking. Think about it. The only thing that keeps anybody going is their built in awareness of a creator. Atheists lie to themselves, its really depressing.
You would risk your life to help someone 'cause you were told to. I would do it because it would be the right thing to do. See the difference? The reason we want to see the world become a better place is because we want the world to be a better place.

This really isn't all the complicated, and I'm sorry that you have so little love in your heart that you can't see why making the world a better place is something worthwhile.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:12 PM

281 posts, read 256,198 times
Quote:
While I don't agree with his theology, he is point on in this video. This tactic is used by atheists to try and disprove an all loving God, but it only helps the argument for Gods existence.

Evil Proves God's Existence - YouTube
You guys need to back up a little. You have so many trees, pieces of bark, pine needles, cones, acorns etc., in your eyes that you can't see the forest.

Playing pseudo-logic clips like this does no more to prove or provide evidence of a god than pseudo-science creationism does.

Do you have any idea how far afield you have gone with your mythology and twisting and contorting the factual world into a state of unrecognizability just to prove that fiction is fact, that lie is truth, that mythology is reality?

A perfect creator wouldn't produce imperfect life-forms.

A loving creator wouldn't produce a world chock-full of misery and tortured death.

A loving creator wouldn't produce sin, or hell, or satan (and don't try to disclaim that because according to your myth he created EVERYTHING (including that flawed decision-making logic called "free-will").

Would a perfect creator make a life form that breathes and eats through the same hole - or put in an appendicitis-prone organ that has no role?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:49 AM

421 posts, read 448,643 times
Quote:
While I don't agree with his theology, he is point on in this video. This tactic is used by atheists to try and disprove an all loving God, but it only helps the argument for Gods existence.

Evil Proves God's Existence - YouTube
I dunno, it seems like some pretty cheap logical/semantic dodging going on here.

I mean, the 'problem of evil' is just a short hand way of expressing the idea of 'why would an all powerful all loving God allow things that feel bad to happen to us'. For things to feel bad there doesn't need to be an objective idea of morality. It really just mixes up every day language usage with a complicated logic point.

But one can postulate anyhow: If God exists and therefore objective moral codes exists, then the existence of evil seems strange. This isn’t an acceptance of evil, God or moral codes, simply a critique of another argument point.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:15 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackalackish View Post
You really think that there is no difference if this world became a smoldering ball of fire today or a million years from now?

I don't think that. Re-read my post and then try to make a post that isn't an outright lie.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
You would risk your life to help someone 'cause you were told to. I would do it because it would be the right thing to do. See the difference?.
Yeah someone told me to do it and it is the right thing to do. You make no sense. Why are atheists the most untrusted group of people around? I think I know why now. You all make things up.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:34 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default Again with the wrong answers, always out by 180˚!

I's a silly and unfounded rumor that atheists are "the least trusted people" around. This is called "starting a vicious but untrue rumor" of course, and we can see it every night these days in the Republican Prez-Candidate wars, where the two top contenders, a Mormon and an apologist Christian, both fabricate things to discredit their "worthy " opponent. Then they claim to be polite, civil individuals, just like blathering, lying Christians do.

Why would atheists be untrustworthy, I might ask? We're the only ones not implicated in outright immoral behavior, the ones most implicated in tax evasion, the ones most often caught in pedophile interactions with young choir boys, the ones who arrive to viciously despoil some honorable hero's family funeral (Those loving Westboro Baptists...) and the ones that come invading my privacy on the weekends, knocking at my peaceful door to tell me I'm going to hell soon.

Who are the immoral, untrustable ones again? You or us? Careful: Final Answer only! God is watching you, remember..... "Thou shall not Lie for Jesus.!"

Old 01-24-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I's a silly and unfounded rumor that atheists are "the least trusted people" around.
"
No you are wrong. This board is direct proof of the outright dishonest nature of atheists. Now lets see what kind of wall of text filled with various tangents you come up with now.

I post a video and an opinion about atheism, and then I get character assassinated by droves of atheists. Then If I point out any flaws in what is said, I am not showing the love of Christ...

I feel sorry for all of your children.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah someone told me to do it and it is the right thing to do. You make no sense. Why are atheists the most untrusted group of people around? I think I know why now. You all make things up.
You're the only one making things up in this thread, in that you keep making up what atheists believe. Stop being hypocritical.

It isn't my fault some people are too lazy to get basic prejudice and ignorance.

Also, please point out what doesn't make sense to you.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
No you are wrong. This board is direct proof of the outright dishonest nature of atheists. Now lets see what kind of wall of text filled with various tangents you come up with now.

I post a video and an opinion about atheism, and then I get character assassinated by droves of atheists. Then If I point out any flaws in what is said, I am not showing the love of Christ...
The video is so silly it isn't really worth commenting on, but here goes:

The claim that evil proves god is as follows:

Only God can establish an objective morality.
Evil is objective.
Therefore objective reality exists.
And therefore God exists.

Of course, where this falls apart completely, is the notion that evil is objective. It isn't. There are things considered evil by just about all moralities throughout the world, but that isn't because it is "objectively bad."

Bad things happen. People do bad things. But there is no objective morality. Every society functions under its own set of subjective morals, which change over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality