Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:53 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,214,729 times

Advertisements

jdaelectro: That is certainly not what atheism says. I'm glad I don't have to depend on god-belief to give my life meaning. The idea that evil proves the existence of a god is risible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 01:06 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,078,390 times
Saying evil exists is like saying Ugliness exists. our executed Christian friend Saul (aka Paul) didn't think slavery was all that evil. saying evil proves God... is like saying ugliness proves Aphrodite.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:48 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,567,159 times
That video reminds me of that Kirk Camron video where he states that God is real because humans have thumbs.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:02 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,932,455 times
Default What an Evil Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
So with moral relativism we can't judge someone like Hitler. He wasn't evil after all. He thought what he was doing was moral. Atheism truly is sick.
Too bad this video is so off logic and indefensible.

You do love to conflate Hitler etc. with The Evil Atheism, don't you, jda? Did something Evil happen to you in your youth I wonder?

In fact, it's only because we won that war, that we (Western ideas and military) can make our absolute western-oriented moralistic statements about Hitler or Tojo or Stalin. In their minds, they were right, and their "people" agreed with them. The Reich, had it lived for a thousand years, would have thus had the moral upper hand, and would therefore presently be glorified.

To the winner go the judgmental rewards.

Fortunately for us moral realists in this world, it's also easily and summarily proven that absence of the influence of the evil teachings of your pet religion have had the most treacherous and evil effect on man's evil and morally bankrupt side, unlike the influence of atheists.

"Evil" as believed by you quick-to-judgement types simply proves that religion can't be trusted and is itself a flaming repository for Evil.

Fact: there are literally thousands of peace-loving, influential, morally upstanding and highly intelligent atheists. I need to see your list of why each of these important and influential (oh, and peaceful..) people are so Evil. Please? At your earliest convenience please.

Famous Non Religious People (talented Atheists,Deists and Agnostics) - YouTube

NOTE: (Did I get the word Evil in often enough? Eeeeehhhhwwww! Must be a fact then, huh? )

Last edited by rifleman; 01-22-2012 at 06:58 AM..

Old 01-22-2012, 06:40 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,914,310 times
Quote:
I said atheism. I never said the people who ascribe to it.
Nice. What if I said Christianity was a myth suitable only for the idiotic and ignorant masses of the world? I was only referring to Christianity.....not it's aderents. You see where statements like that go?

Quote:
I truly believe that all of you somewhere in your heart you know that there is a God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
How can you say that? How do you have the gall and conceit to say such a thing? It is mind-blowing that you can even think that.
Some people just can't comprehend a reality with no objective "purpose" for existence. IMO, these people are severly lacking something in their lives so they have to create an objective purpose for themselves. They just can't accept the fact that some of us do not need a God figure to tell us how to behave and live, so they reconcile it with themselves by reasoning in their minds that despite what we say, we still "know" there is a God deep down. It's tiring to say the least.

Quote:
, I bet in real life most of us could sit down have a nice cold pale ale and get along just fine
I'm sure.

Quote:
I regret making these threads now...
The bigger question is, have you learned anything at all from them? If so, then you can count the experience as worth it.

I think it's more likely that you have just been beaten at the game you started, and you know it. { on both threads I might add } You found out that us "sick" atheists weren't just going to respond with snarky comments and that you weren't going to "get our goat" so to speak. You found out that we are intelligent and intellectual group who know what we are talking about and aren't atheists simply because "we have no morals"

But "if" you did learn something, than it has been worth it.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:13 AM

912 posts, read 828,201 times
everything is relative, he needs to find something which is not relative to try and corner a god. thats his problem from the get go....an ant can notice an elephant but can't corner it into the bush in order to convince and increase the experience of noticing, by control in cornering the big elephant.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 01-22-2012 at 09:45 AM..

Old 01-22-2012, 09:18 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,957,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Too bad this video is so off logic and indefensible.

Famous Non Religious People (talented Atheists,Deists and Agnostics) - YouTube
Unfortunately, this video is a compilation of people who may not have been atheists.

Helen Keller, for example, did not like the bible, but that does not mean she did not believe in god.

Clara Barton was a Unitarian Universalist.

Benjamin Franklin was probably a Deist.

It becomes a real problem when we try to find atheism in historical figures unless we have them on the record, imo.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 PM

Smile Once again, we set things straight for this off-course poster..

Quote:
We are all going to die anyway. This planet won't be here forever, so why does anything matter? We are all living pointless lives according to atheism.
More groundless hatred of atheism, which obviously you do not understad. It's clear that you have an unmanageable hatred of it however, and a grossly overstated "Can do no wrong" perspective of your Christianity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Because, unlike you apparently, I care about myself and the people around me. I want them to have a good life, for however long they may have it. I want my kids to live in a better place than I found it.

Because, unlike you apparently, I have a heart.
Agreed. Our poster, jda, is a seething cauldron of unmanagable hatred. He obviously needs professional counseling.

Witness:

Quote:

I would risk my life to help someone because Christ said true love means complete sacrifice.

(rflmn's comment: you help others not because of some true inner sense of ethics, but because you've been told to. How compelling!)

Atheists love making things up.

Q: what things? At least we can track what Christians make up because they codify them in a book which they maintain is inerrant. Wrong.

What is the point in making a better world?

Answer: because it would be better, and because we can, absent the wacky rulesets of Christianity. Q: Why not?

There would be no difference if this world became a smoldering ball of fire today or a million years from now, according to secular thinking.

What nonsense.

Think about it. The only thing that keeps anybody going is their built in awareness of a creator.

The thing that keep me going is my appreciation of the real world around us, the amazing fact of it's occurrence despite all the odds, and that I am free to enjoy everything, without the false restrictions of a phony antique mythology.

Atheists lie to themselves, its really depressing.
That's so sadly wrong. You are disturbed, obviously. Oh, and misguided. and just as obviously, an immature troll intent on trying to make us mad.

For me, you're like dealing with an errant OCD child, one who has no control of his or her emotions or outbursts. We need to send you to the principal's office!

Quote:
I truly believe that all of you somewhere in your heart you know that there is a God. Believe me I don't hate anyone.

I would be ignorant if I claimed to know your morality level. Seriously, I bet in real life most of us could sit down have a nice cold pale ale and get along just fine. Sometimes written text can't portray someones actual emotions very well. I regret making these threads now...
Having subjected my mindset, at an early age, to the disruptions of a devout Cristian religious perspective, I feel myself immensely lucky to have escaped relatively unscathed from that rat's-nest of rules, strictures and limits to thinking.

Too bad not everyone could gain the intellectual freedom I've found.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,214,729 times
So the argument now devolves to the absurdity that there is No True Atheist. Oh, brother.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 PM

A testament to the useful Christians south of our border:

(Note: from: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...mplar-drug-war)

"The Knights Templar are not the first Mexican drug cartel to claim divine Christian inspiration.

When they first announced their founding in March, they hung up banners around their native Michoacan state in western Mexico, promising they would “safeguard order, stop robberies, kidnappings, extortion and shield the state from rival organizations.”

But rather than following the commandment of “thou shalt not kill,” they exercise a vengeful Christianity spliced with Old Testament justice.

Their first victim was hanged from a freeway overpass with a note alleging he was a kidnapper.

Then when Mexico opened up the under-17 soccer cup on Saturday in Michoacan state capital Morelia, thugs scattered 14 corpses in the colonial city and nearby towns.

Notes in scrawling handwriting were pinned to the mutilated bodies, threatening rivals and ending with the signature of The Knights Templar.

“This criminal organization used the event as an opportunity to show off and demonstrate they are here,” Michoacan Attorney General Jesus Montejano said.

Over the following two days, the thugs put another nine corpses on public display.

In the same Michoacan state, La Familia broke onto the scene in 2006 claiming they were evangelical Christians while leaving trails of severed heads.

La Familia’s spiritual leader Nazario Moreno, alias “El Mas Loco” (The Maddest One), even wrote his own Bible, which cartel foot soldiers were obliged to study.

While preaching the good word, Moreno made billions of dollars cooking up crystal meth and smuggling it over the Rio Grande to wild-eyed American meth users."

God must be looking the other way....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality