Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:27 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I imagine life to be like a blank sheet of paper. I am the author of my life and am free to write my story in any way I want to.

What is unacceptable about this point of view?
Some people are simply incapable of being the authors of their own destiny. They need rules, institutions and leaders to direct them. They need a plan... any plan to build their lives on and give their existence meaning.

Believing some supreme deity is directing his grand design that includes you as a "cog in the machine" is a psychological crutch that takes away some of the scariness of just being here with no reason or purpose...

... but it takes a stronger mind to accept the reality of our situation and find our own reason for being. Not all people are capable of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 11:43 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,552,834 times
Quote:
I imagine life to be like a blank sheet of paper. I am the author of my life and am free to write my story in any way I want to.

Nice of you to have believe this way. However, your OP title makes a statement of fact as if you already have the correct answer on life itself.
I beg to differ. Great philosophers since the dawn of time and to this day still search for what seems an elusive answer, the meaning of life.

To me you adress one point using a different angle. I can be an author of my life in the sense of what I want to do with the life I have. Another is what meaning life has. I can live live like a ship without a shudder or a beacon to guide me, the same with life. However, I can also live like a ship with a shudder and a beacon. Either way I plot my way as I travel.

Bottom line, I believe your conclusion is very flawed. However, you are correct that you can be the architect of your own destiny. Take care.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:22 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDeew View Post
I like your point of view, but honestly I think we can't write our whole destiny. Some parts are written itself, and we are not able to influence them.

I believe, we are our own creators of the bigger part of our destiny. This life has some meanings, maybe one of the meanings is to die, or to live a life, we're social beings, we can't live alone, which leads us to next statement. One of the meanings is to live and hang out with other people, to create something in your life, or simple to find something that satisfy us.. life is full of meanings.
Yes, that is partly the paradox I'm trying to point out here:

That life has no inherent purpose or meaning. But at the same time, it has infinite possible purposes and meanings.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:20 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Some people are simply incapable of being the authors of their own destiny. They need rules, institutions and leaders to direct them. They need a plan... any plan to build their lives on and give their existence meaning.

Believing some supreme deity is directing his grand design that includes you as a "cog in the machine" is a psychological crutch that takes away some of the scariness of just being here with no reason or purpose...

... but it takes a stronger mind to accept the reality of our situation and find our own reason for being. Not all people are capable of that.

i dont believe people are the authors of their own destiny , if that were true , a whole lot less people would end up as failures as only a tiny minority of people have some masochistic desire to crash and burn , i myself thought i could achieve anything when i was younger , then out of the blue , an earthquake struck and nothing was ever the same again , some people like to believe that if you follow a certain script , the world will be your oyster and all your dreams will come true but its a lie

i dont know whether i believe in fate or that i dont believe in free will but i absolutley dont believe that people make their own luck

Old 07-01-2012, 06:42 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i dont believe people are the authors of their own destiny , if that were true , a whole lot less people would end up as failures as only a tiny minority of people have some masochistic desire to crash and burn , i myself thought i could achieve anything when i was younger , then out of the blue , an earthquake struck and nothing was ever the same again , some people like to believe that if you follow a certain script , the world will be your oyster and all your dreams will come true but its a lie

i dont know whether i believe in fate or that i dont believe in free will but i absolutley dont believe that people make their own luck
We do control our own destiny, failure happens to even the hardest of workers, sometimes it just doesn't work. The way we remain in control of our destiny once this happens is to just continue on either finding where it went wrong, starting over, or just giving up.

When something happens that we have no control over or have anyone to blame, we still control our destiny by how we react to it. We can asses and change or we can give up.

Anyone who thinks the world is their oyster has forgotten they share this oyster with 6 million+ other people. When our dreams do come true, we need to realize that depending on what happened and how it happend it could have squashed someone else's dreams.

Actually, people do make their own luck. I read this a few weeks ago and thought it was interesting.
10 Things Lucky People Do Differently

The Study: http://www.richardwiseman.com/resour...uck_Factor.pdf

10 Things Lucky People Do Differently

Old 07-01-2012, 09:17 PM

652 posts, read 874,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

They say one person cannot change the world. After the earthquake in Japan on March 11th last year, the will have to change. Those who thought they knew the way have led this world down a very dark path. Not only will this world never be the same, it can disappear as if nothing happened. Fate should always be tempted and tested rigorously.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:54 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Yes, that is partly the paradox I'm trying to point out here:

That life has no inherent purpose or meaning. But at the same time, it has infinite possible purposes and meanings.
Perhaps that is our inherent purpose. To seek out those infinite possible purposes and make at least one a reality.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:02 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times
Quote:

Nothing is unacceptable about this point of view until or unless you break the law, hurt someone, steal something, create a heinous crime of some sort. You are definitely entitled to live as you want and you should....just don't hurt anyone or anything for no reason.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:53 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Default Why can't people accept that life has no inherent purpose or meaning?

Probably because deep down inside of our very being where all our true beliefs and values reside . . . we know that it is NOT true.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:20 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times
I know no such thing. I can understand however the desire for it to be so and for someone like yourself to mistake that desire for knowledge.

Alas truth is not determined by us really really wanting something to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality