Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 05:26 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That was my original point. There isn't any (fact). Looks like we agree.

So why are you trying to make a big deal out of it? Are you trying to make others believe as you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
it's true it has no purpose or meaning, we are just here. some people have 'assigned' themselves an overall purpose -- but that doesn't mean there was one, just they created one and subsequently believed it was "written in stone"

all it does is make them feel better, blowing smoke up their own butts.

for some people there's no point to life and they recognize that for what it is. frankly it's a waste of time to some of us. stuck in this hell hole until otherwise noted.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 06-25-2012 at 10:10 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
As I said, not fact.
Yes it is a fact, you just do not like the answer.

When we die, life ceases to exist.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Our life has the same purpose and meaning of all other life, and that is to survive and pass our genes on to the next generation.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 PM

267 posts, read 216,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
So you believe if you are driving along, going through a green light and a mack truck doesn't stop for his red light and runs his big rig right over you, that you authored that event? Wow!

Hey, can you write on my blank paper? I need a few million dollars!
And conversely you believe that god was driving the truck, what a bloody goose he is.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,051,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I imagine life to be like a blank sheet of paper. I am the author of my life and am free to write my story in any way I want to.

What is unacceptable about this point of view?
life has no purpose?
living IS the purpose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_drive

In classical Freudian psychoanalytic theory, the death drive ("Todestrieb") is the drive towards death, self-destruction and the return to the inorganic: 'the hypothesis of a death instinct, the task of which is to lead organic life back into the inanimate state'.[1] It was originally proposed by Sigmund Freud in 1920 in Beyond the Pleasure Principle, where in his first published reference to the term he wrote of the 'opposition between the ego or death instincts and the sexual or life instincts'.[2] The death drive opposes Eros, the tendency toward survival, propagation, sex, and other creative, life-producing drives. The death drive is sometimes referred to as "Thanatos" in post-Freudian thought, complementing "Eros", although this term was not used in Freud's own work, being rather introduced by one of Freud's followers, Wilhelm Stekel.[3]
The Standard Edition of Freud's works in English confuses two terms that are different in German, Instinkt ("instinct") and Trieb ("drive"), often translating both as instinct. 'This incorrect equating of instinct and Trieb has created serious misunderstandings'.[4] Freud actually refers to the "death instinct" as a drive, a force that is not essential to the life of an organism (unlike an instinct) and tends to denature it or make it behave in ways that are sometimes counter-intuitive. The term is almost universally known in scholarly literature on Freud as the "death drive", and Lacanian psychoanalysts often shorten it to simply "drive" (although Freud posited the existence of other drives as well).

Old 06-26-2012, 03:54 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I would prefer not to get into a debate here about Freud and his theories, but I would certainly agree that the only definite meanings our life has is to live it until we die. Anything else we invent for ourselves, and none the worse for that.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:38 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The search for 'meaning' is innate and universal. Surely the desire for 'meaning', for a sense of greater purpose than the eat, sleep, have sex and then die suggests some greater significance to life than what our senses tell us through observation?
Or it could be that it's just an artifact of some other brain function. No one thinks there's some cosmic significance to the desire for use to eat unhealthy amounts of fatty foods - it's just side-effect of how our bodies work. Perhaps other desires, such as the desire to find meaning, is similar.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:12 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Yes it is a fact, you just do not like the answer.

When we die, life ceases to exist.
Your words:
Quote:
most likely scenario

Old 06-26-2012, 09:15 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
So why are you trying to make a big deal out of it?
Because others are claiming their beliefs are facts, which I dispute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Are you trying to make others believe as you do?

No. I'm trying to show that no one knows 100% what happens after death, until they die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality