Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:06 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times

Advertisements

Artie,
I know how the social contract works. I think we have sort of side-stepped the point of purpose.

As for moral bligations, yes cooperating with social norms will be beneficial if you value social life, but sometimes self-interests conflicts with things that have overall survival value. Why ought we compromise self-interest if we can escape consequence?

Look my point is that our evolutionary history is good at explaining why we exhibit certain behaviours, but evolution doesn't issue out commands that we "ought" to follow. We are free to value what we want. If people choose not to value posterity and human flourishing, that is on us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 01:43 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Because we arent animals just wandering mindlessly. We do things, build things, discover things, make great things that seem impossible and span the test of time, if there is no point in that then that's very sad and makes life not worth continuing

Old 06-25-2012, 01:45 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Nothing you said proves your point. Where are the facts?
Doh, in my post read much?

Old 06-25-2012, 01:51 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times

Afterlife - YouTube

Old 06-25-2012, 02:34 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Doh, in my post read much?
Quote:
In the scientific reality realm, we use Occam's Razor and strip the waffle to arrive at the most likely scenario, in this case, life ceases to exist at death. Ergo, we are NOT immortal.
As I said, not fact.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Why can't people accept that life has no inherent purpose or meaning?
Life does have an inherent purpose and meaning.

Humans, like all life-forms on Earth that have existed, exist now and will exist in the future have a purpose, namely to procreate and ensure the future survival of the species.

Everything else that you do is merely incidental to your primary function, which is to procreate.

Humans have evolved with extraordinary capabilities, including adaptability, and the ability to not only foresee their own demise, but to forestall or prevent it altogether.

So life does have an objective purpose. Outside of that, meaning is subjective, so it is entirely dependent on the value the knower assigns to it.

Purposely...

Mircea

Old 06-25-2012, 02:35 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Here you go again, asking for proof and facts about something of which you know there isn't any, so what's your point? Can you prove otherwise? What's the big deal and why make things complicated when you don't have to. Anybody is free to believe what they want to without having to prove anything to anybody. You believe what you want and others will believe what they want, what's so hard about that......
That was my original point. There isn't any (fact). Looks like we agree.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:47 PM

258 posts, read 207,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Artie,
I know how the social contract works. I think we have sort of side-stepped the point of purpose.
Not sure what you mean.
Quote:
As for moral bligations, yes cooperating with social norms will be beneficial if you value social life, but sometimes self-interests conflicts with things that have overall survival value. Why ought we compromise self-interest if we can escape consequence?
Because the consequence of only acting in self-interest is that others will take notice and stop caring about you and stop cooperating with you because you only act in self-interest and that is detrimental to your chances of survival.
Quote:
Look my point is that our evolutionary history is good at explaining why we exhibit certain behaviours, but evolution doesn't issue out commands that we "ought" to follow. We are free to value what we want. If people choose not to value posterity and human flourishing, that is on us.
Those who choose not to value posterity and human flourishing will be at odds with the majority who does and because of this people with this attitude are less likely to survive for lack of cooperation.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:51 PM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Humans, like all life-forms on Earth that have existed, exist now and will exist in the future have a purpose, namely to procreate and ensure the future survival of the species.
Even that is not really a purpose. It's more like a natural process.

There is no reason that any species has to survive. In fact, humans will eventually become extinct.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:00 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
See these is an error which the Living God Lord Jesus would call your self a demigod for your existences, denying the truth that God has a plan for your life and is waiting for you to come to God and let God be your God ..... See God does not like that you want to be god for your self , as you deny the purpose of God for your life and the life of all people .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality