Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 04:10 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter-1 View Post
Well then lets hear the explanation as to how they "rationally", emphatically and adamantly justify their position in denying a God potencial. Otherwise it is a dumb assertion and we are dealing with little little intelligence.
Did I say say all that?? Save the drivel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 04:11 AM

496 posts, read 484,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Did I say say all that?? Save the drivel.
hmmm

Old 06-28-2012, 04:20 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,692 times
What you are asking me to do is to without questionable doubt deny that god is capable of existing but not yet discovered or developed.

To emphatically and adamantly deny there is no god potential all you have to do is use the facts that we currently have. I cannot see a god before me, no god has ever presented themselves to me or anyone else, therefore I see no purpose to believe in said god. I have never had a prayer answered and never witnessed a prayer answered that does not have a logical and scientific explanation. I have never seen prayer save a life, cure disease, or end famine. I have seen science do all of these things.

A god is a Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshiped as creator and ruler of the universe. If there was a god and they were perfect we would not watch kids on one side of the globe develop obesity while on the other side kids are dying of hunger. We would not watch helplessly as people die in terrorist attacks.

So, I can without doubt and without waver deny the existence of god or even the potential for god existing.

With your form of logic I could say that I am the second coming of Jesus Christ and you would have to believe me. Why? Because there is no way you could without doubt deny that there is a possibility, however slight, that I am telling the truth.

Oh, and the last time I was tested my IQ was in the 130's, was in the 93 percentile on the SAT, and when I was a freshmen in high school scored scored a 90 on the ASVAB. I am considered to be a very intelligent person. I don't claim to be as smart as Neil Degrasse Tyson, Richard Dawkins, or Stephen Hawkings, but I am well above average in that category.

Last edited by raison_d'etre; 06-28-2012 at 04:31 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 04:36 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Some time ago...you mentioned an empty wine bottle which you kept handy, waiting for a theist miracle to ...fill it

Is it still handy and is this your proposition for evidence which would suite your fancy ? What are the conditions and when was this proposition made?
Years ago on another forum I said the bottle of drinking water I kept on my desk, if someone said they would pray for it to turn into wine and it did, I would convert to Christianity. There were no other conditions.

The same offer or undertaking applies because I cannot prove or disprove a thing but am SURE that it will never happen.

The Christians are sure, too, because nobody ever took me up on it. Just came up with a lot of evasive excuses about why it was never going to happen.

As though God isn't able to just do it in an instant and have ol' Arq on the strength. As I have said, I'd make a helluva theist.

Of course this is not the 'evidence'. It is the result of decades of disbelief and debate with theists and the answer to the not infrequent question 'What one thing would convince you?'

Of course, hand them this easy, easy thing for jesusgod to do and they back off 'Oh God isn't going to do that...as though they had the authority to tell God what he could and couldn't do.

The truth is that they don't really believe any more than I do and they are as sure as I am that it won't happen. I see it. They don't.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-28-2012 at 04:46 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 05:20 AM

Last edited by peter-1; 06-28-2012 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: this is mixed up...one moment

Old 06-28-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
What you are asking me to do is to without questionable doubt deny that god is capable of existing but not yet discovered or developed.

To emphatically and adamantly deny there is no god potential all you have to do is use the facts that we currently have. I cannot see a god before me, no god has ever presented themselves to me or anyone else, therefore I see no purpose to believe in said god. I have never had a prayer answered and never witnessed a prayer answered that does not have a logical and scientific explanation. I have never seen prayer save a life, cure disease, or end famine. I have seen science do all of these things.

A god is a Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshiped as creator and ruler of the universe. If there was a god and they were perfect we would not watch kids on one side of the globe develop obesity while on the other side kids are dying of hunger. We would not watch helplessly as people die in terrorist attacks.

So, I can without doubt and without waver deny the existence of god or even the potential for god existing.

With your form of logic I could say that I am the second coming of Jesus Christ and you would have to believe me. Why? Because there is no way you could without doubt deny that there is a possibility, however slight, that I am telling the truth.

Oh, and the last time I was tested my IQ was in the 130's, was in the 93 percentile on the SAT, and when I was a freshmen in high school scored scored a 90 on the ASVAB. I am considered to be a very intelligent person. I don't claim to be as smart as Neil Degrasse Tyson, Richard Dawkins, or Stephen Hawkings, but I am well above average in that category.

This represents a complaint against a preferred sketch of a creator. Thats all. To say...well then its clear no god exists against this preferred sketch, avoids what man understands a creator to be. Therefore the assertion is outside of the discussion and has no bearing.

You've implicated a few demands which are reasonable relative to human existence and struggle, but un-reasonable relative to human flourish both in the nurturing of reason and mans peaceful existence, found in virtue.

They are however complaints against what we know is something which distinguishes man, from being gods themselves. The complaint then is god did not create us as gods, so therefore there is no god , which is irrational and very un-intelligent.

With the time I have (gotta go) this is sent along.....tear it apart if you like/ I will be back later tonight.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
By the same token, billions of people throughout history have believed in God. A significant % of those are educated, intelligent people.
And yet for some reason none of them can produce a shred of concrete evidence to back up those beliefs. I wonder why that might be.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:46 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,173 times
Quote:
This represents a complaint against a preferred sketch of a creator. Thats all. To say...well then its clear no god exists against this preferred sketch, avoids what man understands a creator to be. Therefore the assertion is outside of the discussion and has no bearing.
So you're saying he doesn't believe in the wrong kind of god. OK. Which one should he not believe in instead? Please be specific.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Years ago on another forum I said the bottle of drinking water I kept on my desk, if someone said they would pray for it to turn into wine and it did, I would convert to Christianity. There were no other conditions.

The same offer or undertaking applies because I cannot prove or disprove a thing but am SURE that it will never happen.

The Christians are sure, too, because nobody ever took me up on it. Just came up with a lot of evasive excuses about why it was never going to happen.

As though God isn't able to just do it in an instant and have ol' Arq on the strength. As I have said, I'd make a helluva theist.

Of course this is not the 'evidence'. It is the result of decades of disbelief and debate with theists and the answer to the not infrequent question 'What one thing would convince you?'

Of course, hand them this easy, easy thing for jesusgod to do and they back off 'Oh God isn't going to do that...as though they had the authority to tell God what he could and couldn't do.

The truth is that they don't really believe any more than I do and they are as sure as I am that it won't happen. I see it. They don't.

well...good to see something cheered you up...my opinion is the reason they said god isn't going to do that is because in their experience, its not how anybody operates.... A demand which suggests...hey I will be your friend if you do this for me but guess what?....if you don't well then good-bye nobody. I think it evolved as you say in more of an ice breaker theme type of thing...Ive pushed my time

Old 06-28-2012, 06:21 AM

455 posts, read 652,149 times
Life is whatever you make of it. The issue comes with the herd mentality of humanity. Some people want everyone else to believe in what they believe in just to feel safe, sane, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality