Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:51 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times

Advertisements

I think that man invented god so as to have a scapegoat for everything that does not go according to mans plan. As for god "requiring" worship, I have found that those who demand adoration seldom truly deserve it. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 10:13 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,719 times
Default HE'S Worth the WORSHIP

Don't you think it's more of honor, respect, faith? That if we put our belief only in HIM and not worship Hollywood,wooden or cement statues that can give us NOTHING and is constantly changing. God is today as HE was yesterday.
HE will be the only one to give you ETERNAL life for some God is not worth the trouble or time of day, but eternity is forever and you must have FAITH that God will keep HIS promise and life after death will be with God.

I think Tricky D asked a very good question tried too give you points, but as usual spread it around.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:49 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by wildberries61
Quote:
I think Tricky D asked a very good question tried too give you points, but as usual spread it around.
You must have me confused with someone else.
I haven't posted in this thread.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:49 AM

15 posts, read 62,146 times
Timothylogan3 I agree with you. No one is properly answering this question. Why does God want us to worship him if he already knows he's the best? I do not think this is too big of a question. For one thing--- we can chose to live our lives without helping anyone or anything. However that wouldn't be right cause that doesn't go with the "love thy neighbor thing". Everytime you feed the hungry, show kindness, or mercy to those who need it you are giving worship. Worship doesn't always mean kneeling in a church and repeating after the priest (pardon me I was rasised Catholic). Worship means giving of yourself for a higher meaning. You can skip evey church mass or service until you die--- but if you've helped your fellow man regardless of status, race or gender everyday of your life--- you are in essence worshipping god. Didn't Jesus walk the rounds everyday healing the sick and feeding the poor? Hello that is your example of worship. What I'm saying is God doesn't need you to go to church and pray to him daily to show your love. You are to become your brothers' keeper when he his down and give him grace. That is how you can begin your worship.
~Autumn--Blessed be

Old 10-14-2007, 11:06 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
IMO..To believe in God, to love God , to put God first is to worship God

Old 10-14-2007, 11:22 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by wildberries61
You must have me confused with someone else.
I haven't posted in this thread.
Your right I had read you giving advice on falling away from God. Sorry just wanting to give you points some how!!

Old 10-14-2007, 11:56 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnbreze View Post
Timothylogan3 I agree with you. No one is properly answering this question. Why does God want us to worship him if he already knows he's the best? I do not think this is too big of a question. For one thing--- we can chose to live our lives without helping anyone or anything. However that wouldn't be right cause that doesn't go with the "love thy neighbor thing". Everytime you feed the hungry, show kindness, or mercy to those who need it you are giving worship. Worship doesn't always mean kneeling in a church and repeating after the priest (pardon me I was rasised Catholic). Worship means giving of yourself for a higher meaning. You can skip evey church mass or service until you die--- but if you've helped your fellow man regardless of status, race or gender everyday of your life--- you are in essence worshipping god. Didn't Jesus walk the rounds everyday healing the sick and feeding the poor? Hello that is your example of worship. What I'm saying is God doesn't need you to go to church and pray to him daily to show your love. You are to become your brothers' keeper when he his down and give him grace. That is how you can begin your worship.
~Autumn--Blessed be
Your answer, then, is that "worship" is meant in a metaphorical sense -- that it may mean we are not actualy worshipping God but doing good? That is certainly satisfying from a metaphorical (and Roman Catholic: "good works")perspective, but why are church services called "Worship"? Why, when we speak of religious freedom, do we often use the phrase "free to worship God in our own way", etc?

Again, not meaning to impute too many human characteristics to God, but I continue to wonder why an omniscient being would need human worship and praise.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:27 PM

15 posts, read 62,146 times
Let's stay real.... god doesn't need anyone to worship him/her. However, there are people on earth less fortunate than ourselves who could use something we have in abundance. The first major lesson out of the bible is how Cain killed Abel. First question was, "Am I my brother's keeper?" YES, we are all our brother's keeper. God is not coming down to smack you around for not worshipping him or not going to mass. Cause he didn't say in the bible--- go to church,mass,temple,etc. He said Love thy neighbor. If I had to say why it's called worship it's becuase if you don't go to worship in the church, then the church won't be able to get it's 10% tides/donations from you weekly. Without the 10% tides from worshipers how would the church building stay cleaned, maintained, and able to employ clergy folks? I'm not in any organized religion (sorry if this distrubs you). Yet I do my best everyday to help others. My belief is that you must never harm anyone, what you put out comes back to you. That's it.

Are you worried God won't have you in favor cause you didn't go to a brick and mortor building and give away your 10% gross income weekly? If that is the case why did Jesus go into the temple and cause a problem by knocking down all the tables used to collect money from worshipers inside the temple? Hummmm, If I recall this is the major reason he was sought after by the romans in the garden the night before he was murdered on the cross.
~again only my opinion~
~Autumn

Old 10-14-2007, 01:20 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnbreze View Post
Let's stay real.... god doesn't need anyone to worship him/her. However, there are people on earth less fortunate than ourselves who could use something we have in abundance. The first major lesson out of the bible is how Cain killed Abel. First question was, "Am I my brother's keeper?" YES, we are all our brother's keeper. God is not coming down to smack you around for not worshipping him or not going to mass. Cause he didn't say in the bible--- go to church,mass,temple,etc. He said Love thy neighbor. If I had to say why it's called worship it's becuase if you don't go to worship in the church, then the church won't be able to get it's 10% tides/donations from you weekly. Without the 10% tides from worshipers how would the church building stay cleaned, maintained, and able to employ clergy folks? I'm not in any organized religion (sorry if this distrubs you). Yet I do my best everyday to help others. My belief is that you must never harm anyone, what you put out comes back to you. That's it.

Are you worried God won't have you in favor cause you didn't go to a brick and mortor building and give away your 10% gross income weekly? If that is the case why did Jesus go into the temple and cause a problem by knocking down all the tables used to collect money from worshipers inside the temple? Hummmm, If I recall this is the major reason he was sought after by the romans in the garden the night before he was murdered on the cross.
~again only my opinion~
~Autumn
I'm sorry, but you seem to want to argue about some other subject. I have no idea, for example, why you wonder if I am disturbed by your points. Why should I be?

I do remain interested in what people think about why religious services are described as "worship" and why God would want to be worshipped. If you don't like this topic, please ignore my posts.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:21 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
I believe that God=Love, so I already worship God by being kind and helping others.
I believe that love primarily needs to be expressed through true action and not 'inaction' like worship through prayer and / or song.
I don't see why God would need (more) song and praise.
Then again I believe that action speaks louder than words ever will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality