Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:10 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times

Advertisements

[quote=JakeDog;1747930]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Because He is God.[/QUOTE

Simply being God isn't an adequate explanation for why he is worthy of worship, and it doesn't provide me with any of his/her/its qualities based upon your definiton of her/his/it. You might as well say he is worthy of worship b/c he is worthy of worship.
Ok, He is worthy of worship because He is worthy of worship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 02:14 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Quote:
Because He is God.
Simply being God isn't an adequate explanation for why he is worthy of worship, and it doesn't provide me with any of his/her/its qualities based upon your definiton of her/his/it. You might as well say he is worthy of worship b/c he is worthy of worship.
I can't help you or make you understand what all the term 'GOD' encompasses, but I can assure it's all that's needed to make that entity worthy of worship.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
He wants worship because he's worthy? Can't he be worthy and not want the worship? Why is it the right thing to worship god? More pointedly, why is god (however you envision him) worthy of worship?
Ok, He wants us to worship Him because it's right to do this. In the same sense, in the story about my teen-age son, I tried to help him learn respect for me and his dad because it's right for him to respect us (at least in my opinion and our Christian faith affirms that.)

If you are looking for "specifics" let me start here: His love, His grandeur, His justice, His beauty....

but again, I think He wants us to worship Him because He knows it's "right" for us to worship Him. It's not an ego-centric thing. I didn't want the Christmas gift from my son for myself. I wanted him to do it for him.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:53 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
I can't help you or make you understand what all the term 'GOD' encompasses, but I can assure it's all that's needed to make that entity worthy of worship.
Forgive me for sounding flippant, Alpha, but your assumption of so much more wisdom than the rest of us possess ("I can't help you understand....but I can assure you...") almost makes it sound as if YOU want to be worshipped.

And surely you don't mean that.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:11 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Ok, He wants us to worship Him because it's right to do this. In the same sense, in the story about my teen-age son, I tried to help him learn respect for me and his dad because it's right for him to respect us (at least in my opinion and our Christian faith affirms that.)

If you are looking for "specifics" let me start here: His love, His grandeur, His justice, His beauty....

but again, I think He wants us to worship Him because He knows it's "right" for us to worship Him. It's not an ego-centric thing. I didn't want the Christmas gift from my son for myself. I wanted him to do it for him.
What love? What grandeur? What Justice? What Beauty? It is not love to set up a system that sends all people to eternal torture if they do not believe something. There is nothing Grand about a god that wrestles with people and cannot find them in gardens. There is no beauty in massacring all animals and humans in a flood. There is no justice in sacrificing some one else for the wrongs of another. I assume you are not speaking of the god of the bible. Again, unless god is defined and some charactersitics are given for it/them/her, applying adjectives (love, justice) without specifics is meaningless. The biblegod, as it is described in the OT, is definitely not worthy of anything but disgust. The god of the sermon on the mount is pretty good. A deist god would neither want or deserve worship. I'm just trying to find out specifically what makes its worship right. Worshiping the god that committed the global flood is the equivilant to devil worship in my opinion.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
What love? What grandeur? What Justice? What Beauty? It is not love to set up a system that sends all people to eternal torture if they do not believe something. There is nothing Grand about a god that wrestles with people and cannot find them in gardens. There is no beauty in massacring all animals and humans in a flood. There is no justice in sacrificing some one else for the wrongs of another. I assume you are not speaking of the god of the bible. Again, unless god is defined and some charactersitics are given for it/them/her, applying adjectives (love, justice) without specifics is meaningless. The biblegod, as it is described in the OT, is definitely not worthy of anything but disgust. The god of the sermon on the mount is pretty good. A deist god would neither want or deserve worship. I'm just trying to find out specifically what makes its worship right. Worshiping the god that committed the global flood is the equivilant to devil worship in my opinion.
I had the feeling that if I gave specifics, then you were going to post that no, He's not worthy because of ... yada, yada, yada.

I think maybe we better just go back to Alpha's post: Because He is God.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:25 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I had the feeling that if I gave specifics, then you were going to post that no, He's not worthy because of ... yada, yada, yada.

I think maybe we better just go back to Alpha's post: Because He is God.
I would likely point out why I (emphasis on I, not you) do not view him as worthy. Because he is god, is meaningless. Who cares if you cannot define what god is?

Old 10-16-2007, 03:38 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Forgive me for sounding flippant, Alpha

No problem. Don't sweat it.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:32 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
The fact that "God" wants us to worship him is a pretty good reason for me not to. No offence but how could I ever believe in a deity who so needs this ? I would have thought any "God" above this kind of attention seeking. If he/she loves us what is the big deal about the worshipping/prayers etc... when all that should matter is us being good human beings, decent and loving to one another, moral and kind? Why should a creator need some kind of "approval". I just don't get it. It seems so incredibly irrelevant to us being productive and morally responsible human beings. I would have thought the best way to worship "God" is not to build churches, pray to him or build rituals around his persona but to go out and try to show a bit more love and compassion to others ? If all the the time spent on prayers, reading the bible,or in churches was spent on relieving other people's suffering wouldn't this be a lot more effective and a far more creative and practical way to show our true appreciation of our "creator" ??

Old 10-17-2007, 05:38 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I believe that God=Love, so I already worship God by being kind and helping others.
I believe that love primarily needs to be expressed through true action and not 'inaction' like worship through prayer and / or song.
I don't see why God would need (more) song and praise.
Then again I believe that action speaks louder than words ever will.
Tricky D, I agree with you. My usual approach is "Don't tell me you're a christian, let me figure it out by your actions."

Unfortunately, when people find it necessary to tell me that they're christian at the beginning of any transaction, I end it immediately. I've learned my lesson, if you have to say it, you certainly are not living it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality