Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 04:00 AM

4 posts, read 10,717 times

Advertisements

answered in the title, God is a narcissistic , if he existed, but since he does not and is only a creation of man to give a feeling of "things are in his control and all will turn out good"

Last edited by Alpha8207; 10-13-2007 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 06:37 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
I see we are all not answering the question posed here and we are straying from it. So why does GOD want us to worship Him? To say that He wants or needs us implies that God is not self-efficient as we believe. THAT God is NOT perfect. Why should He need ME to tell Him that HE IS PERFECT? This is one of those question that is the same group as the why did God put us in this world knowing fully well we would suffer so much? An attempt to understand the mind of God through our earthly experience. i dont know, maybe its not possible, maybe we we can not fully comprehend the answer we seek, even when we do find them. These things are bit too big. Personally - I dont think God, as a being, in essence needs or want anything from us or any creature for that matter. He does command us to worship him, but that does not come out of a want so as He himself gains something. I think worship is meant for our benefit, not Him. Thats just me. But then again as I ve said these things are a bit too big.
For Love to exist, it must be reciprocal.Otherwise it's narcissim.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:52 AM

436 posts, read 1,174,521 times
and the love of God from a christian point of view is the agape kind of love- which by definition is a selfless commitment to ones good. In other words - God, in my faith, is commited to my well being, inspite of myself and the fact that sometimes i do everything in my power to fight Him. He may not be pleased with me, but He still loves me, and He loves me the same way when I do worship Him. He is pleased with us when we worship. But wether we worship him or not does not change who He is or make Him less or more of a God.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:09 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
and the love of God from a christian point of view is the agape kind of love- which by definition is a selfless commitment to ones good. In other words - God, in my faith, is commited to my well being, inspite of myself and the fact that sometimes i do everything in my power to fight Him. He may not be pleased with me, but He still loves me, and He loves me the same way when I do worship Him. He is pleased with us when we worship. But wether we worship him or not does not change who He is or make Him less or more of a God.
I mean no disrespect, but if what you say is true -- why does God want us to worship Him?

Old 10-13-2007, 02:05 PM

49 posts, read 92,521 times
I've always had a problem with this concept. Why do people need to WORSHIP someone, anyone, anything? Does "God" choose to treat people differently based on how much they "worship" him? I'm sure those who died or got injured on 9/11 or Katrina, etc. etc. were a mixture of people who worshipped and those who didn't. The whole idea/concept sounds kind of egotistical and conceited to me. I don't equate "love" with "worship". I have love for many people, my family, my friends......but I don't WORSHIP anyone. I know how to treat people and to be kind, especially to those less fortunate than I am. I don't need to "worship" anyone or anything to have these values. Thanx for listening

Old 10-13-2007, 02:08 PM

491 posts, read 1,434,091 times
god doesn't want us to worship him, god loving humans do.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:15 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,578,119 times
Worshiping God fulfills us and put us into the proper relationship with Him,in the sense that we are acknowledging that He is God deserves worship,and doing what He wants us to do

By worshiping God,we acknowledge His perfection,which is the first step in learning from Him:we realize He's a perfect teacher and then we are willing for Him to to teach us and increase our wisdom and morality.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:09 PM

14,886 posts, read 17,167,331 times
Quote:
Why does God want us to worship Him?
I think that we are the ones who want to worship God when we realize who He is. And we are being made into His image. Our worship will be perfected when we see beyond these finite eyes. God is love and agape love wants what is best for those who are loved which includes worshipping Him, the source of our being.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:39 AM

32 posts, read 63,469 times
God sent his son Jesus to die for us..he saved mankind from being eternally seperated from God by sacrificing his son, isn't that a reason to worship him. We are finally fit to go to heaven and can live eternally.

Heroes get worshiped everyday, we are known for worshiping those who died for us, 'Lest we forget'. Soldiers who died for there countries are remembered and worshiped all the time why not Jesus who died for us?

Old 10-14-2007, 04:27 AM

436 posts, read 1,174,521 times
Nolan123 answers this question very well Yeledaf, I couldnt have said it better myself. BTW I think the right word here would be require, not want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality