Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 05:09 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,249,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
You're changing the point. This isn't about some central figure and what they advocate. Based on the quote that was given, it sounds like he was giving a general portrayal of feminism, which based on personal experience with women that I know, I have seen these points shown.

A) Many feminists believe in abortion
B) Many feminists do not believe in Christianity, believe in controlling others, manipulation (I'm going to get my way or else)
C) Often times discourage businesses from existing if they do not promote views similar to theirs
D) Some feminists feel men cannot satisfy them and that only a woman is capable of doing so
Now, did I ask you for a list of things you believe, or did I ask you for a list of feminists who were advocating any of the things which Robertson assigned to them?

Try again. Either you are aware of some feminists who are in favor of killing children, who approve of people practicing witchcraft, who have called for the overthrow of capitalism and think women should become lesbians, or you are not. If you are, then credibility demands that you prove this with citations. If you are not, then you must admit to supporting a stance for which you had no grounds to believe was true.

So, what's it gonna be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
How do you know she is a witch?
Here is how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onkbubwAqRQ

Old 03-04-2015, 05:18 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,031,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Now, did I ask you for a list of things you believe, or did I ask you for a list of feminists who were advocating any of the things which Robertson assigned to them?

Try again. Either you are aware of some feminists who are in favor of killing children, who approve of people practicing witchcraft, who have called for the overthrow of capitalism and think women should become lesbians, or you are not. If you are, then credibility demands that you prove this with citations. If you are not, then you must admit to supporting a stance for which you had no grounds to believe was true.

So, what's it gonna be?
Again, what is the context of the quote? Was he speaking on individuals or the movement in general? You provided the quote, what was the context of his statement?

I know people personally who advocate these things but honestly even if I named people who are well known feminists, you are just going to defend them so I think we can agree to disagree on this. What is naming them going to prove to you? You aren't going to change your mind, and I am not going to change mine.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Again, what is the context of the quote? .
You required no context to proclaim it valid.

Quit stalling, either you got the goods or you have not.

Put up or shut up time.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:29 PM

18,534 posts, read 9,231,142 times
Quote:
So I guess you and others don't believe witchcraft exist?
Well I can't prove that it doesn't, so it must exist!

Old 03-04-2015, 05:30 PM

888 posts, read 456,568 times
Quote:
I don't know you, so how would I know if you're a witch or not. To answer your question, of course I believe they exist, do you think it's made up? They may not be the stereotypical witches with the black hats and brooms, but there are some that exist.

I don't have an issue with you deciding not to shop at Walmart, but that isn't at all what I was referring too. I'm referring to individuals who fight tooth and nail to close a business. If you decide not to support a business then that's fine with me, but if you decide to shut something down because it doesn't appeal to your views is wrong. To me, if you don't like a business, the best way you can hurt them is by not shopping there, but to suggest to other people that they shouldn't support a business or a business should be shut down because of your views is ignorant.

I don't understand the relevancy of your last couple of questions. I'm not an expert on witchcraft. What does that really have to do with anything though, the point is I believe it is practiced.
I know several people who would have likely been accused of being witches were they to have had their same medical history and lived in a different historical era. People with certain mental health disorders, epilepsy and autism are all examples of those who could have easily been labeled witches. And if you were a woman upset that you were considered the property of your husband and spoke out about it, well maybe you could have been considered deranged and possessed too, setting the stage for an accusation of witchcraft. Being a witch may be considered a casual dig now, but it was an offense subject to execution in past times.

So no, I don't think witches exist. What makes you think they exist and what do you consider witchcraft? If you're equating feminism with witchcraft, I do think it's relevant to ask what you mean by it, especially since you think it's still practiced.

As far as advocating the closure of a business, that's fair game with capitalism in a country with freedom of expression, not to mention religion. If I think a business is discriminating or trying to discriminate, then it's well within my rights to speak out and encourage others to not patronage that business. I'll use Hobby Lobby as an example. They took a case to the Supreme Court that centered on their not wanting to have to provide certain types of birth control to their employees because of their religious beliefs. Yet their own pension plan invested in a company (or companies) that manufactured these very same drugs. I let my close friends who are crafters know about this blatant hypocrisy, which they know is my way of encouraging them to not shop there. Am I going to ask them if they shop there? Probably not, but my talking about Hobby Lobby's hypocrisy is obviously a suggestion that I don't want them to shop there.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You required no context to proclaim it valid.

Quit stalling, either you got the goods or you have not.

Put up or shut up time.
That's your opinion. I don't have to conform to your personal opinion of what's valid. Again I know individuals personally who actually believe in all 4 of these things. What is that to you? It means nothing to you because you don't know them. I would use them more so than a well known person because I know their personal views, I know what they have done or do regularly, I know their beliefs. If I named anyone that you know or heard of, it's not going to change your opinion on this so please let's move on.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Well I can't prove that it doesn't, so it must exist!
Basic research would give you a clear answer.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:35 PM

18,534 posts, read 9,231,142 times
Quote:
Basic research would give you a clear answer.
Please link to some paranoid Christian websites. I could use a good laugh before bed.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
I know several people who would have likely been accused of being witches were they to have had their same medical history and lived in a different historical era. People with certain mental health disorders, epilepsy and autism are all examples of those who could have easily been labeled witches. And if you were a woman upset that you were considered the property of your husband and spoke out about it, well maybe you could have been considered deranged and possessed too, setting the stage for an accusation of witchcraft. Being a witch may be considered a casual dig now, but it was an offense subject to execution in past times.

So no, I don't think witches exist. What makes you think they exist and what do you consider witchcraft? If you're equating feminism with witchcraft, I do think it's relevant to ask what you mean by it, especially since you think it's still practiced.

As far as advocating the closure of a business, that's fair game with capitalism in a country with freedom of expression, not to mention religion. If I think a business is discriminating or trying to discriminate, then it's well within my rights to speak out and encourage others to not patronage that business. I'll use Hobby Lobby as an example. They took a case to the Supreme Court that centered on their not wanting to have to provide certain types of birth control to their employees because of their religious beliefs. Yet their own pension plan invested in a company (or companies) that manufactured these very same drugs. I let my close friends who are crafters know about this blatant hypocrisy, which they know is my way of encouraging them to not shop there. Am I going to ask them if they shop there? Probably not, but my talking about Hobby Lobby's hypocrisy is obviously a suggestion that I don't want them to shop there.
If we aren't going to agree if witchcraft exist or not then this conversation is going no where. Let's please move on because this serves no purpose.

It's one thing to discourage people to patronize, it's another to attempt to shut a business down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality