Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 05:49 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And none of that would have happened if the couple had simply respected someone's religious beliefs, ya know, like people used to do.
It also wouldn't have happened if the business owner had followed the law. But let's blame the victim for thinking that a bakery which had sold cakes to the family before would be a good place to go to buy a cake. They should have read the mind of the owner even though there was no way for them to know that the baker randomly refused service to people who didn't fit his political goals.

Quote:
Do we even know for sure their addresses got posted?
Yes, those of us who have read the actual findings from the case do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 05:54 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Same question to you....

Should a black cake maker be forced to bake a cake emblazoned with the confederate flag for a KKK rally? Should a Jewish baker be forced to bake a cake with the Nazi flag on it for an Arian Brotherhood gathering?

I'm just testing to see if you guys truly believe what you're saying, or if it's just a bunch of intellectually dishonest garbage.

Your one word answer to the above questions, ( either a yes or no ) will tell me all I need to know.
Have you read any of the huge threads on this issue?
This has been answered about a zillion times.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
They were fined because they opened their mouths.
Generally this is what happens when people braking the law are dumb enough to go on TV and radio and advertise that they are doing so.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Particularly the bigotry and hypocracy of the homosexual community not accepting religions people for who they are.
I am sure the homosexual community loves the sinners as they are. These business owners are being punished for their actions as a business, not for who they are or their religious beliefs. Love the sinner, hate the sin and so on.

Isn't that how the story is supposed to go - conservative extremists don't hate gay people, they just call their actions abominations and kick them out of their stores. But they still love them. Or some such.

Last edited by KCfromNC; 07-10-2015 at 06:25 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
No, the lesbian couple instigated the whole mess by making this a very public battle.
Really? When did the couple first post information in a public forum? Was it before or after the bakery owners posted the couples name and address on social media? Please be specific on the timeline here.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:09 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Same question to you....

Should a black cake maker be forced to bake a cake emblazoned with the confederate flag for a KKK rally? Should a Jewish baker be forced to bake a cake with the Nazi flag on it for an Arian Brotherhood gathering?

I'm just testing to see if you guys truly believe what you're saying, or if it's just a bunch of intellectually dishonest garbage.

Your one word answer to the above questions, ( either a yes or no ) will tell me all I need to know.
The answer is NO. However the reason is critically important. The reason is that the confederate flag, the KKK, the Nazi flag, and the Arian Brotherhood are all things that are NOT protected by the non-discrimination law in Oregon. Things that ARE protected are race, sex, disability, national origin, age, religion, veteran status, and sexual orientation. (There may be other protected classes. I'm not conversant on Oregon law.) Not all states have added sexual orientation to their non-discrimination laws, and some of the classes are protected by federal statutes.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:11 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Almost 300 posts and still waiting for Jeff to condemn death threats made to the couple wanting to buy a cake. Am also still waiting for Jeff to retract his false statement that no one condemned the death threats that were made to the bakers.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:16 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Same question to you....

If you want to test someone's honesty ask an honest question. Your points have already been covered. Making a question and asking for aa yes or no but loading the question is not honest.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Same question to you....

If they don't sell cakes with these sorts of messages at all then there's no discriminating in not selling them to a particular group. And as you're probably aware the KKK and similar Christian groups aren't part of a protected class so it isn't really comparable to this case.

Any other questions? This is pretty well established case law so you could have just looked up the answer for yourself.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:45 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
If that Dred Scott had "just followed the laws of his State", none of those problems would have happened.
And I got my information from the record of the "great" Supreme Court that affirmed it!!

It has been explained before...many times..."the law" is NOT a good arbiter!
Argue the concept...not the law relative to it. Laws mean squat! Otherwise Afghan men beating their wives half to death because they "disrespected" them, is totally cool....after all, it's "the law" there!
I agree, but we ALL must follow the law, even if we are fighting to get it changed. IF we break the law, we can be punished for doing so and we must be ready for that.

Like I have said before, I would be happy to get rid of all anti-discrimination laws as long as businesses are required to post who they will not serve on their doors, websites, and advertisements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality