Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 08:43 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
But push doesn't invariably come to shove. Often, push just simply withers away, bleating piteously and feeling immensely sorry for itself..

Like the opposition to women voting.
You are correct...it doesn't "invariably". NOTHING is absolute.
BUT, not "often" does it "wither away". MOF, in REALITY, very seldom.
Lots of places in this world that women still can't vote. Heck, they can't even work or drive a car!
Push USUALLY comes to shove. I predict...this will not be an exception.
That's okay. You don't have to believe it. So, let them keep pushing...you'll see where it gets them in the end. We all will.
Guys like me will be some of the "collateral damage". They can't stand me! I'm the "poster child" of almost all they hate. Well, that they claim to hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 08:44 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
IF you are so desperate for an answer, go seek it yourself. I don't see how it is relevant to the conversation. Besides the death threats were most likely anonymous so there is very little the police would do in such a case.
In other words, the bakery couple or their surrogates are blowing smoke.

Unlike the lesbian couple, where Christians made real deaths threats.

Don't make these type of assertions unless you can back them up.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
First of all...I didn't make "threats of bloodshed against the nonreligious". I said "I predict". I mostly spoke of them using the current governmental system that exists in the U.S. to get what they want.
OK, that wasn't clear to me in your original post.

Quote:
What planet have you been living on?
This one.

Quote:
Bottom Line: The world always sorts it out in the end.
We have had many, many kinds of conceptual systems throughout human history...with more to come. We all just make our way as best we can within our circumstances. All you can do is play your hand the best you can...or the best you are willing to.

Legal sanctions may slow things down...for a time. But if people REALLY want something...they will not be deterred. For Example: How did that "Prohibition" thing work out?
But in the end...the ONLY way to stop people that REALLY want something is to kill them. For Example: That is the only thing that will stop ISIS...and my prediction is that the world will eventually do that. It comes down to "Might makes Right"...it always has...and always will
At this point many governments have enough force to be the "Most Mighty" in some regards. But that isn't always the case. There have been lots of revolutions throughout human history. Religion was the basis for many (most) of them. Time will tell, it always does.
Yes, we can point to many historical examples of might making right. But we can also point to many examples of major shifts in thinking that were accomplished without - or even in spite of - threats of bloodshed, religiously motivated or otherwise. I don't think SSM is a fighting issue anymore in first world countries and even some second world countries, for many of the same reasons that women's rights are a diminishing controversy. That's the way the trend is going.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Gas tank empty huh? Because apparently that's all you got now. Try to turn the discussion into something ugly against me personally. I won't play your game.
So you will neither confirm nor deny you are only 17 and indoctrinated by a belief system that demonizes gay people in the name of religion. I'll go with your being only 17 and indoctrinated by a belief system that demonizes the LGBT community in the name of religion. Because every.post.you.make reflects the beliefs of a teenager....with no education and no experience in the world....who bought into what he was told.

There's hope, Jeff. You could actually free yourself and allow yourself to live an authentic life. Choose education! Choose learning! Choose an open mind. Free yourself and you'll be a much happier guy.

Seventeen is WAY too young to believe that marriage equality is going to make God wipe America off the map.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:02 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

There will not only be "death threats" from, and to, both sides. It may come to that.
This country, like many others, has gone to war...even Brother against Brother...to back up what they believed. Over 600 Thousand were killed & many more injured, not that long ago, in the Civil War.
This country regularly sends the military to other countries that don't live by concepts we think they should...and try to compel them by force to conform. We bring the most devastating weapons to bear against them. Just because they don't act the way we believe they ought to.
Why should this issue cause any less fighting than, say, the prohibition to drink booze? Lots of bullets flew over that. And I'd say people are way more entrenched in their religions than they are their cocktails.
We'll see.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

You really do live in a fantasy world where apparently you think your side can do no wrong even when they make death threats and destroy businesses.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So you will neither confirm nor deny you are only 17 and indoctrinated by a belief system that demonizes gay people in the name of religion. I'll go with your being only 17 and indoctrinated by a belief system that demonizes the LGBT community in the name of religion. Because every.post.you.make reflects the beliefs of a teenager....with no education and no experience in the world....who bought into what he was told.

There's hope, Jeff. You could actually free yourself and allow yourself to live an authentic life. Choose education! Choose learning! Choose an open mind. Free yourself and you'll be a much happier guy.

Seventeen is WAY too young to believe that marriage equality is going to make God wipe America off the map.
Yea yeah ,I know, you think I'm the stupidest person in the entire world, or whatever fiction you need to spin to feel superior. I don't giving a flying rip what age you think I am. Just here to discuss an important case involving religious freedom. That is all.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The death threats were the direct result of the PUBLICITY the bakers purposely and deliberately created. They went on shows and maliciously and deliberately published the names and address of the lesbian couple endangering them AND their foster children. All the public response was attributed entirely to the bakers. because the Lesbian couple were trying to avoid publicity especially for the sake of the foster children.
And no sympathy for the death threats against the baker's children? Not a peep from your side about that.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:16 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
You are correct...it doesn't "invariably". NOTHING is absolute.
BUT, not "often" does it "wither away". MOF, in REALITY, very seldom.
Lots of places in this world that women still can't vote. Heck, they can't even work or drive a car!
Push USUALLY comes to shove. I predict...this will not be an exception.
That's okay. You don't have to believe it. So, let them keep pushing...you'll see where it gets them in the end. We all will.
Guys like me will be some of the "collateral damage". They can't stand me! I'm the "poster child" of almost all they hate. Well, that they claim to hate.

I think we are already seeing. It gets "them" equality.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:25 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
There will not only be "death threats" from, and to, both sides. It may come to that.
This country, like many others, has gone to war...even Brother against Brother...to back up what they believed. Over 600 Thousand were killed & many more injured, not that long ago, in the Civil War.
This country regularly sends the military to other countries that don't live by concepts we think they should...and try to compel them by force to conform. We bring the most devastating weapons to bear against them. Just because they don't act the way we believe they ought to.
Why should this issue cause any less fighting than, say, the prohibition to drink booze? Lots of bullets flew over that. And I'd say people are way more entrenched in their religions than they are their cocktails.
We'll see.
No one is trying to take away anyone's religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality