Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 01:24 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I do not think that you understand the laws of our country, she cannot use her position as an elected government official to impose her religious beliefs on others, our Constitution guarantees that and as long as she refuses to do the job that she is elected to do or choose to resign from that position she is in contempt and the Supreme Court says so, that is why she is in jail, not because of her religious beliefs, but because she was trying to impose her religious beliefs on others. That is against the law.
Amen, ptsum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Wait....elected officials can't impose their beliefs on others or refuse to enact the law? Really? You act as if that never happens.
Whenever it does happen it is illegal! That there are corrupt and evil elected officials does not change the law.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 09-04-2015 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 01:26 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
as an elected official for over 12 years, no I did not ever see that happen and I don't imagine that you have either.
I think you're being naive. Maybe intentionally...maybe not. But I can name at least 2 right off the top of my head. This has more to do with the fact that it's a same sex marriage issue and the fact that she is a Christian refusing to bow.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:34 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Due to her religious views she cannot issue them. Thus, she is being jailed on account of her religious beliefs.
But she PREVENTED others in the office from issuing the licenses..THEREFORE she forced her beliefs on others and demanded they follow her example.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
But she PREVENTED others in the office from issuing the licenses..THEREFORE she forced her beliefs on others and demanded they follow her example.
She is in charge. She can do that.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:38 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
Quote:
She is in charge. She can do that.
Not legally.

-NoCapo

Old 09-04-2015, 01:38 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
I think you're being naive. Maybe intentionally...maybe not. But I can name at least 2 right off the top of my head. This has more to do with the fact that it's a same sex marriage issue and the fact that she is a Christian refusing to bow.

There is nothing naive about what I said,the US Supreme Court has deemed that the 14th amendment of our Constitution guarantees equal rights for everyone and those equal rights also guarantee the rights that homosexuals can legally marry, now that's the law of this country. The Constitution also guarantees the right, according to the first amendment that we have the right to determine our own religious belief and that the government is prohibited from sanctioning any religious belief, but that same First Amendment also guarantees us the right from religion, which means we do not have to have the belief in any kind of religion should we so desire to. Now I know that you are a preacher and you seem to have the so-called moral obligation to believe in your Christian God, maybe you should go back and read in your sacred book Numbers 30:2,as I recall it seems to say something on the order that if you take an oath under the name of your God that you are obligated to fulfill that oath. It would seem that this woman was not living up to her obligation of her oath.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:48 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
She chose her religion.
She chose her job.
She chose to not to do her job.
She chose to tell her employees to not do their jobs.
She chose to defy the judge's order.

The person responsible for her situation is her.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
She chose her religion.
And the 1st Amendment protects her choice.
Quote:
She chose her job.
She chose to not to do her job.
She chose to tell her employees to not do their jobs.
She chose to defy the judge's order.

The person responsible for her situation is her.
So let's go jail all elected officials that don't do their jobs.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:02 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,424 times
Quote:

No, it doesn't. Like a broken clock, I'll repeat for the hundredth time:

"Freedom of religion means freedom to hold an opinion or belief, but not to take action in violation of social duties or subversive to good order," In Reynolds v. United States (1878), the Supreme Court found that while laws cannot interfere with religious belief and opinions, laws can be made to regulate some religious practices (e.g., human sacrifices, and the Hindu practice of suttee). The Court stated that to rule otherwise, "would be to make the professed doctrines of religious belief superior to the law of the land, and in effect permit every citizen to become a law unto himself. Government would exist only in name under such circumstances."[27] In Cantwell v. Connecticut (1940), the Court held that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment applied the Free Exercise Clause to the states. While the right to have religious beliefs is absolute, the freedom to act on such beliefs is not absolute.[28]

Old 09-04-2015, 02:06 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:

The 1st amendment does not protect an elected official when it comes to operating as a government official.
Now if she was on the street as K Davis and said that gays are scum, great. have at it. Bur as K Davis county clerk she can not refuse to uphold the laws of the country and the state. If and when caught, like she was, face the consequences.

She is setting herself up for impeachment by holding press conferences stating that she will not resign and she will not do her job nor allow other deputy clerks to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality