Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:53 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
My daughter who is now a teen has had a level of intuition about people for as long as she can remember. She was picking up on something beyond what experience could give her. It doesn't mean it's "magical" or "supernatural", but for whatever reason she has the ability to frequently be consciously aware of something that not all of us are.
I agree, that has been my experience too. intuition is natural in that everyone has it, but in some people it is stronger and more evident. also what varies from person to person is whether we acknowledge our intuition, act on it, or value it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 11:04 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
what about children and young people who do not have past experience in the real world?
I don't know. Perhaps we are born with intuition? I'd say it's likely since intuition often helps us to survive.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I don't know. Perhaps we are born with intuition? I'd say it's likely since intuition often helps us to survive.
On three occasions I've known someone I loved was about to pass. Twice the death was unexpected and the person was thousands of miles away. When I was called and told the second time the person calling me said, "Prepare yourself. I have bad news." I said, "X died, didn't she?" It stunned the person on the other end...who I didn't know. She seemed relieved I already knew.

I've had strong intuition since I was a kid. I thought everyone had it. As I grew older I discovered mine was different from what most people experience.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:55 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

I've had strong intuition since I was a kid. I thought everyone had it. As I grew older I discovered mine was different from what most people experience.
if you're willing to share, please tell us more, different in what ways? thank you

Old 09-11-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
On three occasions I've known someone I loved was about to pass. Twice the death was unexpected and the person was thousands of miles away. When I was called and told the second time the person calling me said, "Prepare yourself. I have bad news." I said, "X died, didn't she?" It stunned the person on the other end...who I didn't know. She seemed relieved I already knew.

Were there times when your intuition about these things turned out to be wrong?

We are probably more likely to remember the predictions we get right than the ones we get wrong.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:11 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if you're willing to share, please tell us more, different in what ways? thank you
I don't know about you, but I've never known ahead of time that someone was going to pass unexpectedly, or that a dangerous situation (like the incident with the truck tire Dew described) was about to occur. That Dew knew those things ahead of time is certainly different than my own non-experience with such things.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:13 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Were there times when your intuition about these things turned out to be wrong?
We are probably more likely to remember the predictions we get right than the ones we get wrong.
Personally, I'm very careful to remind myself of all the many times a feeling I had that something bad was about to happen didn't come true (which, in my case, was pretty much always). It helps me to avoid working myself up into a state of anxiety when I'm having that feeling again.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:41 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Default what is intuition to you and what role does it play in your life?

Intuition is information from our true Self (what we experience as our unconscious). Our intellect does not have direct access to it because the link only exists while we are actively producing more consciousness. Unfortunately, what we experience as the "here and now" is a "delayed playback" through the recordings in our brain. Our life has literally already happened before we begin to experience it in what we see as the "here and now." This means our unconscious or true Self has access to our immediate future . . . but no direct way to communicate it to our conscious intellect. Since our intellect is dominantly left brain, those who tend to rely heavily on left brain processing tend not to notice or be sensitive to the right brain signs that are made available from our unconscious. Those who tend to pay attention to right-brain information (usually women, but not exclusively) are more likely to pay notice the signs. You must rely exclusively on your intellect, Pleroo.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 09-11-2015 at 03:15 PM..

Old 09-11-2015, 02:58 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,675,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I wonder if people use the words instinct and intuition interchangeably?
I tend to agree with this differentiation.

"• Instinct is our innate inclination toward a particular behavior (as opposed to a learned response).
• A gut feeling—or a hunch—is a sensation that appears quickly in consciousness (noticeable enough to be acted on if one chooses to) without us being fully aware of the underlying reasons for its occurrence.
• Intuition is a process that gives us the ability to know something directly without analytic reasoning, bridging the gap between the conscious and nonconscious parts of our mind, and also between instinct and reason."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...w-do-we-use-it
Funny you should say this.
I wrote a piece about these two several years ago. Today we see them as different things, yet I believe that they are the same. And is something we are born with.
In our modern world it is all about the logical. There for anything that is illogical, is disregarded or passed over (but we are relearning). Early humans used instinct just like all other animals. Ever have that moment when your hair stands up on end? A threat is near. That's a very primal function- so is that intuition or instinct? One in the same I say. Early humans did not have any social or religious taboo that now has us rejecting anything that might be deemed psychic. They for sure would have been more in touch and aware of 'intuition' as it was a major player in the game of survival.
Currently we reserve the term instinct to describe something more physical than what is part of the mind, those random illogical perceptions and hunches.
Intuition, when it comes to the psychic definition is specifically a 'knowing' without any reason or source to know. It is technically called claircognizance; meaning clear knowing. It's give. This term to help differentiate between the other 'clair' abilities. That 'gut feeling' is called Clairsentiance; clear feeling -as in a physical sensation, such as hair standing up on end. Or an unexplainable pain in a body part and later finding out someone close to you has injured that body part.

It can be difficult to trust ones intuition, as there is no logic supporting it. But when one does come to trust it and listen...much in life that is a headache is avoided.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Intuition is information from our true Self (what we experience as our unconscious). Our intellect does not have direct access to it because the link only exists while we are actively producing more consciousness. Unfortunately, what we experience as the "here and now" is a "delayed playback" through the recordings in our brain. Our life has literally already happened before we begin to experience it in what we see as the "here and now." This means our unconscious or true Self has access to our immediate future . . . but no direct way to communicate it to our conscious intellect. Since our intellect is dominantly left brain, those who tend to rely heavily on left brain processing tend not to notice or be sensitive to the right brain signs that are made available from our unconscious. Those who tend to pay attention to right-brain information (usually women, but not exclusively) are more likely to pay notice the signs.
[citation needed]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality