Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 02:54 PM

10,122 posts, read 6,478,313 times

Advertisements

Patrick, I appreciate the answer. However, is that a personal belief or a doctrinal one? That is what I was trying to understand. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 03:48 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,275,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick for Christ View Post
Each of which is an argument with God, long before the Catholic Church was entrusted to keep teaching these things.

I don't even understand that trolling is once I get out of the fishing boat

God Bless you for the charitable words,

Patrick
Ah. The old "deflect to God" argument. "It's not me! I don't hate the gays! I just do what god tells me to do!"

Common sense goes a lot further than religious dogma. Catholocism (and all other Christian denominations) are a creation of humans, not a god. And the followers contort and twist the Bible in whatever way suits their personal needs/beliefs/wants/prejudices.

When religion tells you that you can't get a vasectomy, or that a priest cannot marry/masturbate, or that bread turns to human flesh, or that a fertilized egg is a human being, they're you're allowing other humans to control you in an unhealthy way. Those things contradict science and common sense

Old 12-01-2015, 04:08 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,823,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick for Christ View Post
Great question to which I do not know the answer

MY [personal] understanding is the the 40 days of Lent is a reminder of the Exodus and its 40 year's in exile from the Promised Land. It too was a tome to Repent and Convert. To reestablish one's personal relationship with our God.

G_d Bless you; Sahlom,

Patrick
Thankyou so much for the response. Just thought I would share something I learned recently. I can see a beautiful symmetry from the 2 perspectives. Ezekiel revealed so much concerning our Savior.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:47 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,602,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

When religion tells you that you can't get a vasectomy, or that a priest cannot marry/masturbate, or that bread turns to human flesh, or that a fertilized egg is a human being, they're you're allowing other humans to control you in an unhealthy way. Those things contradict science and common sense
Catholic Christian faith is not just a set of doctrines and rules and presuppositions … It is a Way of Life that recognizes and carries out the conviction that there is MORE to a human life than just "biology" and impulses and the latest announced science discoveries ...

Old 12-01-2015, 04:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,249,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Catholic Christian faith is not just a set of doctrines and rules and presuppositions … It is a Way of Life that recognizes and carries out the conviction that there is MORE to a human life than just "biology" and impulses and the latest announced science discoveries ...
You don't have to be a Catholic, or a Christian, to have that conviction.

And one can have it without all the accompanying silly dogma and doctrine devised by men to add cachet to what they were selling to the great unwashed.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:20 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,602,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

You don't have to be a Catholic, or a Christian, to have that conviction.

Anyone and everyone is free and invited to follow The Way of The Lord Jesus of Nazareth, whether (s)he is a Catholic or not ...

Old 12-02-2015, 02:00 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,547,829 times
So much misunderstanding in this thread.

You can go to www.catholic.com to find out the real meaning of Catholic and how we worship, if you want.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:08 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,547,829 times
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=ewtn+channel

EWTN---Eternal Word channel is on Youtube and there are many videos to answer questions.

Catholic answers is on many radio stations around the country. Tune in and listen or call in. You can also listen to the podcasts online. Many ways to learn and many links to go to.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:00 AM

88,749 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Thankyou so much for the response. Just thought I would share something I learned recently. I can see a beautiful symmetry from the 2 perspectives. Ezekiel revealed so much concerning our Savior.
I am reading (in a group setting for discussion) Christianity, the First Three Thousand Years, which is a history, not the work of an apologetic.

It is interesting about the connection to Ezekiel, which the author doesn't mention, but he notes that Lent (the English word for the period before Easter) is so casually mentioned in documents from around 300 that it appears to be a well-known and common practice by that point.

In the early church, baptisms were performed on Easter after a lengthy time of preparation. Lent was an especially intense time of preparation for the candidates, but also became a time of self-denial and reflection for all of the faithful. It became biblically tied to the 40 days Christ spent in solitude in the wilderness when he is tempted by Satan.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:05 AM

205 posts, read 120,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Patrick, I appreciate the answer. However, is that a personal belief or a doctrinal one? That is what I was trying to understand. Thanks.
My friend I lost trac of where we were.

PLEASE ask me again, and share what exactly the issue is

God Bless you,

Patrick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality