Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 12:38 PM

205 posts, read 119,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
The pope is infallible on matters relating to faith and morals, and only when speaking ex cathedra ("from the chair"). This has happened only a few times in history.
This true; but there is a:

HERE'S THE REST OF THE STORY

From the Code of Canon Law: Code of Canon Law

Can. 334 Bishops assist the Roman Pontiff in exercising his office. They are able to render him cooperative assistance in various ways, among which is the synod of bishops. The cardinals also assist him, as do other persons and various institutes according to the needs of the times. In his name and by his authority, all these persons and institutes fulfill the function entrusted to them for the good of all the churches, according to the norms defined by law.

Can. 360 The Supreme Pontiff usually conducts the affairs of the universal Church through the Roman Curia which performs its function in his name and by his authority for the good and service of the churches. The Roman Curia consists of the Secretariat of State or the Papal Secretariat, the Council for the Public Affairs of the Church, congregations, tribunals, and other institutes; the constitution and competence of all these are defined in special law

So we see here that Cardinals and Bishops too "speak with the authority of our Pope" WHEN then do so in full agreement with Him

God Bless you,

Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I get the idea of praying FOR someone but praying to a saint with the bible clearly states that the only way to heaven is though Jesus. Not though someone else.
My friend, here's what you're not understanding

ALL, I repeat, ALL prayers are intended to END with God.

Intercessory prayers take a brief detour so that Mary & or the Saints can ADD their own petition On TOP of Ours and then Personally present it to God for us

AND this is "personal piety"; NOT a mandated practice

We TOO agree ALL salvation is THROUGH Jesus and have taught and believed this for 2,000 years

God Bless you,

Patrick

Old 11-30-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Matthew 22:36-40.
[36] Master, which is the greatest commandment in the law? [37] Jesus said to him: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind. [38] This is the greatest and the first commandment. [39] And the second is like to this: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. [40] On these two commandments dependeth the whole law and the prophets."

OH! And be careful here these ARE Works!

Very good; BUt if you think that this is al God requires; then my friend you ARE missing VERY Much

My friend I do understand that you mean well; but truth can only be singular. Christ established only One Church for a very good reason. If truth is found only in one place; people ought to be seeking it

Matthew 4:4 “Who answered and said: It is written, Not in bread alone doth man live, but in every word that proceedeth from the mouth of Godâ€

Take Up your Cross and Follow Me

Phil.2: 8 “And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross Luke.9 :23 And he said to all, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.Mark.8: 34 And he called to him the multitude with his disciples, and said to them, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. Luke.9: 23 And he said to all, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. Luke.14: 7 Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me, cannot be my disciple.â€

John 3: 5 "Jesus answered: Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

Mark.4: 11 “And he said to them, "To you [the Apostles] has been given the secret of the kingdom of God, but for those outside everything is in parables;†[Hidden]

Mt. 19: 17 "But if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments."

John 5: 37 “And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness to me. His voice you have never heard, his form you have never seen; and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe him whom he has sent. You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me; yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life [Speaking of accepting the entire WORD of GOD]. I do not receive glory from men. [Meaning disobedience is rampant!] But I know that you have not the love of God within you. I have come in my Father's name, and you do not receive me†[Obey Me!]

God Bless you,

Patrick

Old 11-30-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Correct, it was during the period before the RCC was established.
Help me out here

So this WAS before Christ in PERSON founded His Catholic church [a fact historically and biblically provable]

What and where and WHEN was this period?

God Bless you,

Patrick

Old 11-30-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, Patrick, we got pages ago that you consider yourself a far more important "correct" Christian than the rest of us, appointed by Christ Himself to show the rest of us poor "wrong" Christian idiots the Truth. Unfortunately, you've got a lot of competition on this forum with a bunch of other people just as self-righteous as yourself who believe the same thing about themselves, so as Dew said, get in line. I don't need YOU to tell me to take anything up with Christ. He knows me and what's in my heart already. Keep your snarky advice to yourself, along with your fake, insipid "blessings". You are not a very nice person, and all the bible quotes in the world can't hide that.
Never once have I EVER used words like Dumb or stupid.
When I suggested you take it up with Christ, I was being simply candid!

God Bless you and thanks for you're Christian Charity

Patrick

Old 11-30-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeony View Post
Ok here's my question.

Where does it say that [1] missing mass is a mortal sin AND where does it say that [2] you may not take communion if you have not confessed your mortal sin. My main issue is mortal sin for not going to mass. [3]Where does it say which sins are venial and which ones are mortal?

Thanks for clarifying this!
WOW that's A TON of questions:

I have taken the liberty of numbering your questions so that I can at least attempt tp respond to them.

Let's begin by establishing that NOT everything is in the bible

Are you aware my friend that the bible was not fully authored [NT] until the end of the 1st Century. Christ died around 33 AD, so that means the early [Catholic] Church was without the benefit for about 70 years; all though some of the books were uses by SOME [npt all] of the Apostles and Early Bishops. And actually the Bible in a Codified [assembled and approved manner] did not appear until the Fourth Century

John 20: 30-31
[30] "Many other signs also did Jesus in the sight of his disciples, which are not written in this book. [31] But these are written, that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God: and that believing, you may have life in his name."

John 21: 24-25
[24] This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. [25] But there are also many other things which Jesus did; which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written.

Basically what you're missing is the Absolute Authority that God gave to Peter and his successors [already covered in previous post, so I won't repeat myself here.

Mt. 10: [1] And having called his twelve disciples together, he gave them power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of diseases, and all manner of infirmities. [2] And the names of the twelve apostles are these: The first, Simon who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother,

Mt. 16:18-19
"And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon[YOU Peter] this rock I will build my church [Singular] , and the gates of hell shall not prevail again.st it [19] And I will give to YOU the [all of] keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever YOU shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever YOU shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven"

John 17: 16-20
[16] "They are not of the world, as I also am not of the world. [17] Sanctify them in truth. Thy word is truth. [18] As thou hast sent me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. [19] And for them do I sanctify myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. [20] And not for them only do I pray, but for them also who through their word shall believe in me"

Mt. 28: 16-20
[19] "Going therefore, teach YOU all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. [20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded YOU: and behold I am with YOU all days, even to the consummation of the world."

Quote:
Where does it say that [1] missing mass is a mortal sin AND where does it say that
It is in the THIRD Commandment as the POWER of the Key's has taught for nearly 2,000 years.

The THIRD Commandment is to KEEP Holy The Sabbath Day! READ Exodus

Exodus 20:8
Remember that thou keep holy the sabbath day.

Exodus 31:14
Keep you my sabbath: for it is holy unto you: he that shall profane it, shall be put to death: he that shall do my work in it, his soul shall perish out of the midst of his people [Spiritual death is the meaning]

One risks eternal damnation assuming that EVERYTHING must be spelled out in the bible. The Key's to Heaven were given to Peter and his successors BEFORE the NT was even written. The Bible is FOR God;s Church; NOT God's Church for the Bible

Mark 6:11
"And whosoever shall not receive YOU, nor hear you; going forth from thence, shake off the dust from your feet for a testimony to them."

Acts 5:29
"Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said , We ought to obey God rather than men."

Hebrews 13:17
"Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves : for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief : for that is unprofitable for you."

Quote:
[2] you may not take communion if you have not confessed your mortal sin.
Again this rest as GOD intended [Mt. 6:18-19] to rest upon the POWERS and AUTHORITY of the KEYS:

John 17: 18-20
"[18] As thou hast sent me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. [19] And for them do I sanctify myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. [20] And not for them only do I pray, but for them also who through their word shall believe in me;
]Jesus here gives HIMSELF as the personal warranty of HIS Catholic Church teaching ONLY the truth on all matters of Faith and MORALS]

No other Church
No other Faith
HAS JESUS Himself:
1. Sending THEM in His name and in His Authority. NONE!
2. NO other Church or Faith has Jesus as testified HERE as their warranty of Teaching HIS truth. AMEN!

By missing the Authority that Christ passes on to His Church through Peter; you naturally miss nealy everything the He Christ teaches!

Here is the answer to your question #2

Matthew 5:48
"Be you therefore perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect." ... WHY?

Because God is Perfect, one in an absolute sense MUST also be perfect to be in HIS Divine Presence.

So just as a Soul cannot [will-not!] enter into heaven unless it is perfect; NEITHER can one ask Jesus; the Son of God into his heart and body if it's NOT Perfect. To do so is a sacrilege [another Mortal sin]

Quote:
My main issue is mortal sin for not going to mass. [3]Where does it say which sins are venial and which ones are mortal?
If my friend you're seeking a line-item list there CANNOT be one. Here's why

Because the effect of a Mortal sin is serious enough to if unconfessed and unforgiven; send one to hell for Eternity; the Church; empowered by Christ teaches that 3 conditions [as the NORM] must exist for a sin to BE a "Mortal sin."

1. It has to be Serious matter: Missing Mass on Sunday IS Serious matter. Saying "Damn it!" is not

2. One has to know BEFORE freely committing the sin that don that act will be a Mortal sin

3. Then one knowing #'s 1 & 2 freely DESIRES to do it any way. One need NOT actually do it so long as one DESIRES to do it.

1John.1 Verses 8 to 10 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

1John.5 Verses 16 to 17 "If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

John.20 Verses 20 to 23"On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you." When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."

St Paul in 1st Cor. 11: 23-30

For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus, the same night in which he was betrayed, took bread. [24] And giving thanks, broke, and said: Take ye, and eat: this is my body, which shall be delivered for you: this do for the commemoration of me. [25] In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This chalice is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as often as you shall drink, for the commemoration of me.

[26] For as often as you shall eat this bread, and drink the chalice, you shall shew the death of the Lord, until he come. [27] Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord. [28] But let a man prove himself: and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of the chalice. [29] For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord. [30] Therefore are there many infirm and weak among you, and many sleep.

"sleep" here means Eternal Damnation [unless Confessed and forvien by Sacramental Confession]

Above in listing the necessary conditions for sin to be Mortal sin; also explains just WHY one can't provide a list. One may fool themselves; even fool the priest; BUT NO-ONE is GOING to FOOL God!

In determining if something is a Mortal sin both common sense and prudence are required.

If you were to ask 10 INFORMED & fully practicing Catholics if such and such an action is a Mortal sin & more than half of them agree that it IS. Then most likely it IS. One should always discuss uncertainties with their priest-confessor.

The Mortal sin conditions are waved for what are termed "Intrinsic Mortal sins". The term means and applies to action which everyone OUGHT to or COULD know are Mortal sins:

Such as intentionally and without valid reason not attending Sunday and Holiday Mass
Murder
Abortion
Masturbation
Adultery
Sex outside of marriage
Slander [in most cases]

But the list is longer and these are just a few examples that quickly came to my mind.

When ever ir true and serious doubt; ask the priest!

God Bless you, and may He elighten you to know His Divine Will and the authority He gives to His Church Leaders:

Jn.17:18 " As MY father sent ME; NOW I send YOU!" ... that friend is a literal truth

Patrick

Old 11-30-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
I understand the distinction you're making, but that was not an answer to my questions. I asked why the near silence about zygotes/babies being discarded like trash and why aren't they given the same treatment as a still born baby.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm aware of Roman Catholic teaching that life begins at conception. Clearly if a woman miscarries through no fault of her own, then she has not attempted to end a pregnancy. I will point out that Roman Catholic teaching is not that one can't try to prevent pregnancy, only that a sexual act must be open to the possibility of new life, i.e. pregnancy. In fact, the Roman Catholic Church promotes Natural Family Planning as a way for couples to learn how to track the fertility signs in a woman's body and use that knowledge as a way to decide when to engage in and when to abstain from the Big I. As long as there is no "artificial" contraception, married couples are free to use whatever knowledge they can about fertility to both achieve and/or avoid pregnancy.
My friend I am not a Moral Theologian; in fact i'm not a theologian at all. That likely will greatly limit my capacity to fully address your concerns.

Quote:
Quote:
I will point out that Roman Catholic teaching is not that one can't try to prevent pregnancy, only that a sexual act must be open to the possibility of new life, i.e. pregnancy.
Having shared the lack of complacency I hesitate to respond.

Taking only what you said; I find it to be at best incomplete. Every sexual act [all of which must morally occur with marriage] must be open to the possibility of live: pregnancy. It's not morally speaking a sort of game we play with words; rather its an absolute truth.

Quote:
Quote:
Natural Family Planning is an area where the RCC speaks out about how a woman's body work as part of their position that a couple should wait to have sex until marriage. Yet they are silent on just when a couple's touching each other becomes sex. This is a huge disfavor to young people. Although the RCC doesn't preach against a couple kissing and holding hands, they certainly don't give young people guidance on what is acceptable in between that and, let's say for purposes of illustration, oral sex.
This my friend as a dad, granddad and great-grandfather is NOT what the Church's position is. I can't speak for individuals within the Church who seem afraid to address these concerns; BUT clearly it is NOT what the CC teaches.

Their is a condition we use called "the NEAR Occasion of Sin" which teaches that it is a grave moral responsibility to avoid situations that are; or might lead to serious sin. Heavy petting; & oral sex are both defined as Mortal sins [1 John 5:16-17]. Any Catholic who condones; looks the other way or ignores this fact; are themselves sinning seriously.

Quote:
No one spells it out for young people whether or not they can engage in activity that results in orgasm but avoids the Big I to "save" that for marriage. Just what can they do? Okay, I don't expect an answer due to the moderation it would like entail. However, I would appreciate it if you would let us know whether or not the RCC has a position on couples having Non-I orgasms before marriage and what their teaching is in this area.
Again I strongly disagree! I taught HS Religious education for a number of years; my wife and also lead "Youth groups." I can state phonetically that We were directed to and we DID teach the Church's position on sexual issues and DID give guidance on dating. I'm n Not at all sure where your coming up with this malarkey; but I have known several religious Education Directors, who would be SHOCKED at your accusations. And I'm a 71 year old life time Catholic who DID receive sex-education [prevention] instruction.

Quote:
One would think that if they were really serious about promoting healthy sexual activity from a health and spiritual viewpoint, they would be more forthcoming with realistic guidelines. People on the C-D forums who espouse the "wait until marriage viewpoint" are silent when asked things like is it okay to have oral sex or does that mean you've no longer saved yourself for marriage. That doesn't keep me from asking because I like to be a pest when it comes to gender issues in general and with the church in particular
Friend God permits YOU to have YOUR own opinion now; but when Judgment day comes; as it certainly will HE will Judge on the 6th & 9th Commandments. [Which BTW are categories of sins; NOT the list of].

Quote:
My personal opinion is that giving real sex ed from a Catholic perspective would do more to educate and empower women than anything else. Bottom line the RCC doesn't want that, which is something they have in common with more conservative forms of Christianity. If young girls were taught to learn the signs of their fertility when they start menstruating, then they would really be prepared to practice Catholic teachings regarding family planning and sex when they marry. They wouldn't be given the two part message of 1) Natural Family Planning is the only form of acceptable birth control (besides the unrealistic abstinence) and 2) you can learn about it when you're ready to get married.
On this we agree

Quote:
This goes hand in hand with not discussing the zygotes/babies-down-the-toilet-and-into-the-garbage. It would mean the male priests would have to discuss the particulars about sex or give the responsibility to the nuns. Were the responsibility given to the nuns, it would be passing a nice chunk of power to them. Yet there is still a credibility problem. It would be celibate people educating youth about sex--not exactly the credibility a teenager seeks. Of course there are married couples who train couples about NFP, but the target audience for those classes is the already married and the engaged. I assume the classes are not promoted for single teenage girls to learn how their bodies really work.
I personally was taught by NUNS for 8 years I can attest that they are NOT shy and bashful. In fact for sex-ed the boys and girls were separated and VERY candid discussions were held. I can only speak about that which I know first hand.

Quote:
In many respects, this response belongs in the thread also started by you about why people aren't Catholic. I'm posting it here as a response to your post and because I really do think that an institution that claims to be concerned about the eternal life of humans and has rules about sex would want to give as much accurate information as possible on how to be a good catholic when it comes to the basic human desire for sex. This is the information age and instead of young people turning to the RCC during puberty for detailed information about their sexuality, as it can be practiced according to catholic guidelines, they turn to places like their friends and the internet.
A comment you made that now only do I disagree with BUT has historical evidence that proves [and yes that is the word I choose to use] wrong is that ANYONE who walks and trust in God is offered sufficient GRACE for that state of life. Countless women religious and priest have led celebrant life's adided by God's grace. And YES I DO Know some who have NOT

But to hold the position that humanity must runt just because we have sexual potential is fravely Morally mistaken.

Any clarification you will give will be appreciated. I'm not out to have a debate and point this out because I want to be up front that this is not an attempt to bait you into a snarky exchange. I know that my perturbed tone comes through. I think the silence is disturbing and find it unacceptable on the part of religious institutions that make rules about what sexual practices are okay and don't provide details in an honest, forthright manner geared for young people who want to attempt to practice all their church's teachings.
[/quote]

Neither am I. Catechesis within the Church in the post Vatican II period more often than NOT has been between poor and non-existent. Only in the past 5-10 years have we seen nationally a noticeable improvement.Their have been SPOTS of Orthodoxy and Obedience; but not nearly enough. And I make no excuses for this. It is wrong because IT IS WRONG!

The problem is different now than when I was in school [near the ice age]

The Church used to have a majority of parents who were Informed practicing Roman Catholics. Most families that desired to send their kids to a Catholic School were able to so. Then the Vocation Crisis, tied into the post Vatican II "SPIRIT" [forget the law their just 'guidelines] hit and we have yet to recover.

While the number of self-professed Catholics has increased; the number of Priest, Brother , Sisters and Nuns, [although gradually getting better] is less than half of what it was in 1965. So factor that in COMBINED with parents who simply either do not care or do enforce [SPORTS and other such activities win out] the Religious education programs that every Parish has to offer; AND then factor in teachers for these classes who themselves in large part part are not fully and properly formed in the faith also; and we then have a snapshot of the extent of the problem. And yes I taught teachers for awhile also.

Its a complex multi layered problem, with no simple answer BUT a lot of prayer. IF your a Catholic get involved at your parish level. I personally am a strong believer that if WE [you & me] are not a part of the solution than my friend WE ARE the problem

God Bless you, and I really do appreciate your candor!

Patrick

Old 11-30-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm thinking this is truly a "troll thread" submitted to help the OP feel high and mighty because he's found the "one and only true religion" and he has all the spin and talking points down pat to justify the ridiculousness of his chosen religion.

The Catholic church has it's positives, but the negatives are quite serious (mainly, the stupidity surrounding sex - go to hell gays, condom users, sex enjoyers...)
Each of which is an argument with God, long before the Catholic Church was entrusted to keep teaching these things.

I don't even understand that trolling is once I get out of the fishing boat

God Bless you for the charitable words,

Patrick

Old 11-30-2015, 06:54 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times
Patrick, I think you should start a thread named Ask a Catholic. I really enjoy the Ask a Jew thread.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Patrick, I think you should start a thread named Ask a Catholic. I really enjoy the Ask a Jew thread.
I'd tweak that a tad to Ask a 1950s Catholic.

Patrick's views echo no other Catholic I know. And I know plenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality