Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2015, 08:05 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
No, the bible states that man is sinful. Not to mention the part about the ONLY way to God is though his son. Let's be honest here. The saints were created to help Pagans feel more at ease about becoming Christians
It's not honest at all, but a popular and fairly recent misconception arising with the emergence of neo-paganism. There wasn't some sort of committee sitting around trying to figure out ways to dupe older religions into becoming Christian. The church wasn't even yet centrally organized in Rome at the point when the idea of sainthood became part of Chrisianity.

The first of the revered dead were the martyrs that died in the persecutions of the early centuries. After Christianity was adopted by world leaders for political purposes in third and fourth centuries, persecutions ended and with that, opportunities for martyrdom. Some people began to rebel against the establishment of the church as an organization that mirrored the ruling organizations, and so the hermits and monks began to withdraw into deserts and remote places and some of them became the early saints to replace the martyrs about whom people told stories and looked up to. Other saints were missionaries or bishops or people who had suffered in some way for the faith, and of course sometimes miracles were attributed to these saints, which was good for business in the village with which the saint was associated.

The point is that sainthood was not some sort of deliberate effort at replacement of previous theologies, but a natural progression of the development of a religion in the places to which it spread. Many religions end up with similar practices to one another, not because they steal ideas but because everyone in the various religions are human and we all tend to come up with similar ideas. And of course, cultures mix and pick up cultural practices from one another naturally.

Buddhists and Christians both were big on monasticism, for example, because people felt the need to withdraw from the established world of their respective religions. It doesn't mean one copied the other, it just means that it's something humans do in certain times and situations as a spiritual need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 08:17 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Buddhists and Christians both were big on monasticism, for example, because people felt the need to withdraw from the established world of their respective religions. It doesn't mean one copied the other, it just means that it's something humans do in certain times and situations as a spiritual need.
I'm not sufficiently grounded in the history of early Buddhist intentional religious communites
to comment on the reasons for their establishment, so I won't interject on that, however
I feel the need to correct your assertion concerning Christians.
Eastern and Western monasticism in the Christian tradition did not begin "to withdraw
from the established world of its respective religion". It was sponsored by those bodies of
religious leadership intentionally.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I'm not sufficiently grounded in the history of early Buddhist intentional religious communites
to comment on the reasons for their establishment, so I won't interject on that, however
I feel the need to correct your assertion concerning Christians.
Eastern and Western monasticism in the Christian tradition did not begin "to withdraw
from the established world of its respective religion". It was sponsored by those bodies of
religious leadership intentionally.
Not from what I read. Of course, sources may vary, but I'm reading that individuals in the third century in Syria and Egypt were setting themselves aside either in solitary or in communities as a backlash to the church becoming more worldly. Later groups would be formed under a particular bishop, and eventually, under the umbrella of the Roman church.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:46 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
It's not honest at all, but a popular and fairly recent misconception arising with the emergence of neo-paganism. There wasn't some sort of committee sitting around trying to figure out ways to dupe older religions into becoming Christian. The church wasn't even yet centrally organized in Rome at the point when the idea of sainthood became part of Christianity.

I'm not saying that there was a committee, but come on every holiday was pagan at one time. Praying to Jesus's mother. Can't get anymore pagan then praying to a female deity. Wells which people drew their water from which was said to have healing powers we blessed by Catholic priest. I could go on but you get the point.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I'm not saying that there was a committee, but come on every holiday was pagan at one time. Praying to Jesus's mother. Can't get anymore pagan then praying to a female deity. Wells which people drew their water from which was said to have healing powers we blessed by Catholic priest. I could go on but you get the point.
I am not arguing with you. That is just common knowledge. Sidebar: Did you know that in the early days of Christianity the Holy Spirit was referred to as a she?

I'm saying the mixing occurs because of human tendencies to believe similar things.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:13 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,114 times
That Catholics believe that the pope is somehow holier than other people. He's just another sinful human. Read the Bible.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:29 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
I am not arguing with you. That is just common knowledge. Sidebar: Did you know that in the early days of Christianity the Holy Spirit was referred to as a she?

I think I might of heard of that one not sure but that's cool to know.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:26 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
That Catholics believe that the pope is somehow holier than other people. He's just another sinful human. Read the Bible.
Catholic theology is that we are all to strive for holiness. Of course the pope commits sin. Even he would admit that, and he frequently attends confession.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:29 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
But that's not Catholicism to begin with. It has always been a Bible+Tradition religion. Your argument is from the POV of fundamentalist Christians, who do believe the bible is the Infallible be-all and end-all of guidance for Christians. Not even many Protestant churches buy into that idea.
Yes, but it's even more irritating when the poster continues to lie about what the tradition involves.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:11 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
To pray simply means to ask. When Catholics pray to the saints, we're asking them to advocate for us to God. It is no different than you asking a friend to pray for you. We just believe the saints carry more weight than your friends.
Why would it carry more weight? Does God care about academic credentials and resumes? Does who you know carry much weight in God's eyes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality