Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:19 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
I think this is one of the smoothest thread hijackings I've ever seen ...

I'm sad to hear your relationship with your family is that sour. As you probably know it's a scenerio we see many times among gay people. I can't imagine how a parent can be so cruel to a child, I have two kids and nothing they do will ever stop me from loving them. Even if they turn out to be heterosexual

No feminine influence for your kids You live in a town with no women??

Edite to add: CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR IMPENDING FATHERHOOD!!!!
Thanks! Yes, they'll have a nanny. And as a gay man, I'm not too proud to say I have a few femenine qualities, even if I don't act outwardly femenine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Some peoples lifestyle choices are framed in selfishness and poor choices.
For someone that believes in God and the rules that He has set forth to deny these things all in the name of tolerance is a very selfish thing to ask them to approach.
Why do you care for their acceptance? You've made your choice and now you have alienated them from your life.
Impasse is created when there is no movement of belief. I'll take sides on the spiritual, eternal belief over the temporal physical choice.

godspeed,

freedom
Well, you've demonstrated why such a thread as I suggested won't work. I don't want to hear this sort of thing in this discussion.

I made no choice other than to not lie to them and the world about who I am. I make no apologies for being gay as I had nothing to do with it. I no longer have a need for their acceptance. They haven't played a role in my life for over 20 years.

On the one hand, I believe they've made a choice to attend and believe teachings from an extremist church. On the other hand, I see it more as brainwashing that caters to their own prejudice and homophobia. They're simple people who are easily duped. Their loss, not mine.

I guess my main point is that "love the sinner, hate the sin" doesn't work. It's a nice marketing line for Christian extremism, but it doesn't work that way in the real world. And back to the original topic, it really isn't any better than what Phred preaches. He's just not quite so "PC" in the way he puts it!

Old 02-07-2008, 10:37 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,938,929 times
It's always satsifying to be able to say "I told you so" BTW, it's better to not response, certain people look for excuses to sling hate and twisted logic.

Quote:
Thanks! Yes, they'll have a nanny. And as a gay man, I'm not too proud to say I have a few femenine qualities, even if I don't act outwardly femenine.
All men have feminine qualities. It's just that us gay men are man enough to acknowledge them Hmmm...maybe I'll switch careers and become a "Manny". Scratch that. I'm too cute -- way too much drama for the Daddies!

Old 02-07-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
It's always satsifying to be able to say "I told you so" BTW, it's better to not response, certain people look for excuses to sling hate and twisted logic.

All men have feminine qualities. It's just that us gay men are man enough to acknowledge them Hmmm...maybe I'll switch careers and become a "Manny". Scratch that. I'm too cute -- way too much drama for the Daddies!
Ha ha! Our neighbors have a "Manny", but they're straight, so it works out.

I'm not ashamed to say I can change my own oil, use power tools and still keep a clean, well-organized home that looks like a professional decorated it. Just don't ask me to cook! (My partner handles the cooking, so the babies will be well fed)

Old 02-07-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Ha ha! Our neighbors have a "Manny", but they're straight, so it works out.

I'm not ashamed to say I can change my own oil, use power tools and still keep a clean, well-organized home that looks like a professional decorated it. Just don't ask me to cook! (My partner handles the cooking, so the babies will be well fed)
Funny how the stereotypes just don't work huh? My roommate is a lesbian and she does all the decorating and I do all the handyman stuff around the house. But, I cook and plan our social gatherings (dinner parties, holidays etc.) and she does most of the housework. However

Congratulations again! I don't know you, but I have a feeling you'll make a great Dad. Know any single guys who like kids for me?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:05 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,328,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
We've punted this idiot back and forth on a couple of threads here, so I wanted to get one thread where we could really discuss whether this clown is for real.

I mean, it would make sense to me that if you want to slander God, make a mockery of a belief system, and impact your cause, the best way to do that would be to misrepresent your opposition.

Like if I started killing people in the name of Atheism or advocating for NAMBLA AND gay marriage......you get the idea. No atheists kill for the name of atheism and the gay community is opposed to NAMBLA. But if I claimed one thing, went to an extreme, wouldn't I make a great case for what I 'really' believe?

So my question is, do you really think this Phelps character represents Christianity? Do you guys really buy this GodHatesFags junk and GodLovesDeadSoldiers?

I just watched a video on their site here: Thank God for Dead Soldiers and at the end this poor excuse for a Christian actually chuckles....I don't know if it's poor editing or what...but even she doesn't take herself seriously.

I don't know what info there is on this guy(Phelps) but share your thoughts and/or information.

I think I know (I hope I know) what Christians think of him, but what about you atheists, do you seriously think he's 'for real' as they say???

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2007/dec/07121806.html

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/aug/05081705.html
I don't put much stock in what this group of nuts says, but they do represent what religion can become. religion has seen plenty of time on the lunatic fringe with masses of followers and perhaps even more radical ideas. while most people have the brains to realize this guy is a closet case in a religious group that is nearly a cult, people are capable of making this a huge movement. for a time religion and the nasty parts of it had been beaten back to the realm of reasonable sanity, but that time seems to be regressing, putting us all into a time of all powerful religion yet again. the phelps bunch may be on the fringes for now, but I think they reflect a movement growing in that direction.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:20 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,457,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I don't put much stock in what this group of nuts says, but they do represent what religion can become. religion has seen plenty of time on the lunatic fringe with masses of followers and perhaps even more radical ideas. while most people have the brains to realize this guy is a closet case in a religious group that is nearly a cult, people are capable of making this a huge movement. for a time religion and the nasty parts of it had been beaten back to the realm of reasonable sanity, but that time seems to be regressing, putting us all into a time of all powerful religion yet again. the phelps bunch may be on the fringes for now, but I think they reflect a movement growing in that direction.
just curious as to what is shaping your opinion in this direction. thanks, aaron out.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Funny how the stereotypes just don't work huh? My roommate is a lesbian and she does all the decorating and I do all the handyman stuff around the house. But, I cook and plan our social gatherings (dinner parties, holidays etc.) and she does most of the housework. However

Congratulations again! I don't know you, but I have a feeling you'll make a great Dad. Know any single guys who like kids for me?
I've had that argument with people who think two gay men shouldn't raise a child because of the lack of motherly influence. Just like you've pointed out, the masculine and femenine traits are both there, just not in the traditional way. It's not like two straight frat boys trying to raise children together! (all beer, sports and mess).

Thanks. I'm excited and scared at the same time, probably the same as any first time parent. We have lots of neighborly support and help. Sorry, but the only single friends I have, I wouldn't dump on anyone! When you're 39 and never had a serious relationship for any amount of time, there's a reason for it! I'm sure it's hard to find someone, let alone a gay man who might be interested in becoming a father. I never considered it until the past couple years.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
just curious as to what is shaping your opinion in this direction. thanks, aaron out.
i'm interested to know that too. Overall in society, I see more acceptance now for gay people than there used to be, so I don't see fringe nut groups like this growing much. I see the bigger threat being evangelical Bible literalists, who I still say use the Bible to support bigotry. I find them to be very cult-like (as in the movie "Jesus Camp") and possibly growing in numbers. Maybe they're just louder than the mainstream, not bigger.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
i'm interested to know that too. Overall in society, I see more acceptance now for gay people than there used to be, so I don't see fringe nut groups like this growing much. I see the bigger threat being evangelical Bible literalists, who I still say use the Bible to support bigotry. I find them to be very cult-like (as in the movie "Jesus Camp") and possibly growing in numbers. Maybe they're just louder than the mainstream, not bigger.
I see the future brighter. It seems younger generations abandon these churches and beleifs when they get out into the real world for the most part. Maybe I'm an optimist, but I guess I watch too much Logo!

BTW, Denverian, I was kidding about hooking me up. I've got my designs on someone who lives in my building at the moment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality